mirena coil | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-25-2004, 04:19 PM
mirena coil

Hi there! I am new to this site. Any help please? I had thermal balloon ablation (oct 2003) still having very heavy painful periods though. Consultant has suggested Mirena coil (getting fitted 2 moro) but know I will eventually need a Hysterectomy). After reading some letters here I am starting 2 get worried ( re pain and side effects). I will appreciate any info at all.Many thanks in anticipation , I am now an avid Hyster Sister member!!!!!!!!!!!!! Speak 2 you soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2004, 03:58 AM
Mirena

Hi Shannie
I had a mirena fitted about 6 months ago for bleeding, very painful periods etc. After 2 months of cramping and spotting and not feeling really right, everything came good and no problems since. I have not had a period for 6 months - YAY and now little cramping. You dont build up any uterine lining, so fixes up lots of problems.

I dont think many on this site have tried it so you may not get much response. The other day I threw out all my tampons. WOW
Unread 01-26-2004, 09:29 AM
mirena coil

Hi Shannie I tried the Mirena coil for 10 months but it did not do much for me my periods where a bit lighter at first but in the end they were getting more frequent only about 10 days in between that was if I was lucky had it taken out a couple of weeks ago and they found I had an infection, had two while I had the coil in having further investigations now, I have spoken to a nurse at the hospital who had one fitted and she has had great results, so I think it is a case of try it and see.

Cadey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2004, 08:00 PM
mirena coil

Hi Girls;

I have posted here several times. I am scheduled to have a L.S.H. on April 27th. I first have to have 2 shots of Lupron to hopefully shrink the fibroid and to have time to get my iron levels up. In October my Dr. finally convinced me (after 2 years) to have the Mirena I.U.D. inserted. I was hesitant due to it being relativley new and also was not too keen on the hormone content. He promised me that it would be the answer to my dreams. It became the answer to any nightmare I could have imagined. I bled continually for 9 weeks, never felt right,had bad siatica almost everyday, got bloated and gained weight. Finally on x-mas day I told my friend that I was going to have it removed as soon as my Dr. returned from vacation. That very evening I started to have really severe cramps and when I went to the bathroom it had expelled itself inside a 5 lb. clot. That was only the beginning. The next few days there was seroius bleeding, clotting and hemmoring which landed me in the emergency room.
I have since changed my doctor. I always had the fibroid and heavy/long 10 day periods but it appears that the mirena and it's little bit of hormone produced the fibroid to grow bigger and caused these effects. I would run very far away from the Mirena and if I was you I would chek some great sites that they have with discussions groups from girls who have had the same and worse side effects.

Good luck with your decision.

Debbie
Unread 02-03-2004, 06:06 AM
re mirena coil

Hi there and thanks to those who replied to me.I had my Mirena coil fitted last week. I was a bit scared and didnt know what to expect.I was taken into theatre to have it fitted( I have angina and doc wanted to be one the safe side). It was very uncomfortable with a lot of pushing and prodding involved. I was trying to relax as much as I could but it started to hurt (seems my cervix is tricky to get to!!!!!!!! Doc decided to numb me up a bit and things got a bit easier. In all it only lasted about 10-15 mins but it was painful and uncomfortable. I got taken back to my room and stayed there for about 1 hour with crammpy period like pains and an intense ache in my right side. I had slight bleeding for 3-4 days and since then no pain or bleeding.I feel okay so I am hoping that it has worked and it will be then end of my problems and back to some normality and that the terrible heavy painful prolonged periods are over. Will keep you posted.Does anyone else have any mirena coil stories or experiences? Many thanks.
Unread 02-03-2004, 08:19 PM
mirena coil

Hi Shannie,

I truly hope that the Mirena coil will bring you relief! Although I never tried this option, I know there are other ladies here who have. I hope some of them will be along soon to share their experiences with you.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing as time goes on, okay?

Beth
Unread 02-09-2004, 01:05 PM
mirena coil

Hi Shannie,

I was just asking on another post if any women had tried the Mirena for bleeding associated w/some fibroid conditions.

I am glad to hear you have given it a try for your situation.

I have one.. It is my second.. though I have it for different reasons than you.
I think it is doing great.. But having had 2 fitted (the first one was removed for hysteroscopic viewing).. I must say that each time can be a very different experience, and gosh, it seems to come down to luck in placement.

The first one gave me rather bad cramps the first night and intermittent cramps thereafter.. fortunately, I only had that one for 3 months and could bear w/it for the short time.

The second one is another story. It's been much better behaved since the beginning.. had moments of doubt it was there..lol..

Must say though, that even though I had the nurse cut the strings substantially longer the second time, I kind of give up on finding the darn things.
My period has substantially lessened and I wouldnt be surprised if it went away in a month or two.

Yeah, fitting is a real nuisance.. especially cause it seems that many nurses and doctors are still getting used to placing them.

I am very grateful to have the Mirena.
Unread 02-10-2004, 03:25 PM
re mirena coil. again!

Hi there.
Again many thanks for replies. Another question I forgot to ask last time---I know it may be a strange one but how do I find the strings that are supposed to be hanging from my mirena coil ???????????? I have tried but to no avail.
I am wondering if they are there, maybe too short to feel or have they disappeared inside(if possible). I dont really know what I am looking for re size length thickness etc.
Many thanks for any help given
Shannie.
ps first period since having it fitted has arrived and even though I am bleeding and have cramps/back pain, I have seen real dramatic result this month, no flooding and certainly a lighter blood flow, less pain etc and a near to normal lifestyle.
Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please keep your fingers cross this continues or even better will eventually stop altogether.
Unread 02-11-2004, 08:33 AM
mirena coil

Hiya Shannie,

As I mentioned to you in a previous reply, I just gave up on it. Also, I did have the nurse cut the strings longer. Those strings can just get pushed back into regions that can be unreachable.

Typically, women need to go back to have the IUD checked on about a month after it is inserted. The doctor/nurse will check the strings at that time. I asked if anything could be done to bring the strings forward and keep them there, but apparently there isn't.
Since I'm not concerned about it as a form of birth control, I'm not too worried about it. By virtue of my almost non-existent periods, I know it's there.

If a woman believes that an IUD is causing her considerable cramping, I recommend having another one inserted. My first IUD behaved quite differently from my second one. My first IUD being replaced was a matter of necessity due to a hysteroscopy (telescopic-like viewing). I don't know how doctors would generally greet the prospect of placing an IUD twice, and I dont know how much credence they would give the notion that the first IUD wasn't placed well.
Again, for the readers, I am very content w/my IUD.

Good luck to you.

Pat
Unread 02-16-2004, 09:57 AM
type of hyst?

hi there
So far the mirena coil is going well!When I saw consultant he did say that if I went on to have a hyst it would have to be an abdominal one rather than a vaginal.(he decided this after veiwing when I had d/c hysperoscopy and thermal balloon ablation).
Please can anyone explain why they usually make this decision? He just said that he had ruled vaginal out. I will ask when I see him next(this question is just to stop my brain going into overdrive!!!!!)
Could it be anything to do with me having c-sections in the past?
Thanks for all you past and present help
kind regards to you
Shannie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register