anyone with young children? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone with young children? anyone with young children?

Unread 01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
anyone with young children?

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this site. I am 31 and scheduled for a TAH on feb. 9th for cervical cancer. I have 3 young children ages 3, 15 mos., and 2 mos(who i'm nursing) and am just looking for any tips, general advice.Because of my 3 little ones, i haven't had much time to browse this site, so i was looking for some wisdom:-). I have never had surgery so I really feel in the dark about all of this. any advice you can give will be welcome.I have a terrific husband who will be home to help me the first 2 weeks, but i'm wondering what kind of recovery i can expect since i will still have two little ones that need lifting(and they're not so little at 25 and 13 pounds).
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2004, 07:44 PM
little ones

Hi Becca,

I am in a similar boat. I am 34 and have 2 little ones who are 4 and 19 months and I am having a LAVH tomorrow morning.
My best suggestions would be to make sure you take care of yourself first. It will be harder on your recovery AND your family if you don't take it easy.
Rest all you can and take advantage of every person offering to help. Hold the little ones only if someone hands them to you while you are sitting. Try as best you can not to lift anything. Hope this helps.
My prayers are with you and your family.
Best wishes and tight hugs.
Unread 01-25-2004, 08:06 PM

Becca,

You and I seem to have very simular cases....I will have a TAH on 1/30/04 for Cervical Cancer (carcinoma in situ). I have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old.

I have scheduled help around the clock for the first 2 weeks. I am a stay at home mom, so my mother-in-law will be staying with the kids during the day, and my husband will have them in the evening. They will also go to a mothers day out on Tuesday and Thrusday to get them out of the house for a while. I think that the best thing is just not to lift on the them and have plenty of help lined up to give them the extra attention they will need.

Also, I don't know the answer, but have you talked to your dr about nursing while on the pain meds? Are you going to be able to do that? Have you started having the baby take a bottle at all just in case? Just some things to think about.

Best of luck to you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2004, 08:27 PM
My best idea would be.

Get the baby to nurse laying next to you with the feeding breast on bottom. When you are ready to switch breast move to the other side of the baby. Keep a pillow between baby and the sore part of belly. I nurse a baby but mine is much older then yours. The advantage to that is he can kind of let me what is working for him...lol. One of the few things that hurts worse then this op is having this op AND being engorged. Also you will run a fever and NOBODY will be able to figure out WHY...huh your engorged!!! Also take a breast pump with to the Castle. You will thank me for that one...wish I had thought of it.

The next idea is if they cant come to you, you go to them. Put a mattess on the floor so you can both get on it without someone being in danger of falling.

If nothing else PAY someone to stay with you for the hours that DH is at work. It hurts when you are laying in bed all snuggly with the kids, the phone rings, you turn to get it only to discover the baby is now standing in the bed and does a body flop across your tummy!!! Love them to death but you will need your space too and someone has to make the Kool-aid.

Yes you can take the meds and BF at the same time. It is the same stuff they gave you after childbirth. Just be sure to remind them that you are BF over and over and over again. Don't let them talk you into stopping BF unless you are ready. It should be between you and the baby when to stop not everyone else.

PS I have Three VERY active boys 10,4,& 2 been there done that!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Unread 01-25-2004, 08:40 PM
hi

hello I am 30 now but last year I was 29 and had a tah left my ovaries , you will need help you cant lift any bigger then a gallon of milk for six weeks and it is hard . I have a 2,5, and 7 year old. but at the time a one yr old .,4,and 6 year old . the more help you get the better , and have tons of easy things to fix for you children when your help is gone stock up on food .

and I had to tell my children to be careful with mama off and on they did pretty well . I all so stocked up on a couple of new movies for the kids and would bring them out just so I could rest while baby was resting . the biggest thing is rest alot it is different then having a baby I thought it was the same but it isnt it is surgery and the recovery is harder I even had 3c-sections and I though it was harder .and I do agree I would see if the baby wouldnt take a bottle ???? you need sleep during this recovery .

get a heating pad if you dont have one I used mine all the time after surgery .

I wish you the best I will be thinking of you during this time it can be hard when you have littlle children ,but you will get throw this . if you ever need someone to cry on or even talk to email me I am a stay a home mom and I check email everyday . i will be praying for you .

best wishes . sarah if you have any questions I would love to answer them for you as best as I can .

29 yrs last year tah left ovaries , due to bleed that wouldnt stop .
Unread 01-25-2004, 10:58 PM

Hi Becca,

I had a TVH on Jan 13th for the same reason as you. I have 4 kids, aged 4 through 11 (definitely more independent than yours!) and things have gone so smoothly. My recovery is going so well, I think in part because it was done vaginally. The recovery time is slightly less. My doc has restricted my lifting to 15lbs until he sees me at 4 weeks and finds out how I'm healing. At the very least, I don't have an incision to worry about. My son was sick yesterday and wanted to lay on me and I was actually able to have him on my lap. You should definitely check out all your options. Good Luck!

Colleen
Unread 01-26-2004, 09:44 AM

Hi,

I am also 31 having a LAVH with two kids 7 and 5. My 7 year old is in school so that will help. My DD just turned 5 today and will be staying with me as soon as I get home. My LAVH is 2-6-04 and my sister-in-law will be taking them for the weekend. I've been telling them about not jumping on mommy and etc. I know or those of you with smaller ones it might not be as easy. I do agree with you have to do what best for you to recover. You will just have to use your own judgement and do what the doc tells you to do. I know it will be hard with them pulling at you. Good luck!!!
Tam
Unread 01-26-2004, 01:27 PM

Hi,

I am scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy in a month and have a 10mth old and a three year old.

Luckily, both will continue to go to nursery 3 full days a week as I'm off work on full pay (usually work 3 days). For the other 2 days, I've got my parents mornings and DH working from home in the afternoons.

I still think it will be hard, but keep reminding myself that it's a gradual upward slope towards getting back to normal over six weeks.

Know just how you feel though - I just want it over and to get on with my life.

Good Luck!
Unread 01-26-2004, 08:37 PM

I am worried about this issue too! I have a 6 year old and not quite 2 year old. I am getting help from Family and Friends but I think it is going to be the toughest part of this whole thing. I am a stay at home Mom and my kids rely on me for everything...... It will be strange not being able to pick the baby up and carry her around but I have heard that I will not be allowed to pick up anything over like 5 lbs or something..... Luckily, she is a tiny little thing 20 lbs. but still......
Unread 01-26-2004, 10:36 PM

Hi, Becca and others! Wow...there are so many aged 31 with kids getting hysterectomies!! I am 31 and just had mine on Jan. 9th. I have three, girls, aged 8, 6 and my little man just turned 1 last week! I had a TVH for different reasons than you (endo and excessive bleeding). My bleeding problems started after I stopped nursing my baby in November. I miss that! (

As long as you have someone to come in and help even if for a few days (my MIL was here for 2 weeks), you'll do great! I am now 2 weeks post op and feel great. I have been lifting my hefty guy (22 lbs.) since my MIL left and haven't had any problems. I just looked on my discharge report and my dr. said no lifting until 2 weeks post op, which seems a little different from what others have said here. But, I've been very careful about carrying him.

Things I couldn't have lived without in the hospital...my own pillow, slippers, lip balm, pads (I hate the hospital ones!), loose lounge pants. Don't forget your toothbrush!

About meds post op...I took Motrin 800 for only 4 days post op intermixed with Tylenol. I haven't taken anything since. Both of those are safe for breastfeeding.

Best wishes to you and your family! I found that my older girls really wanted to help out and would run for things like water, snacks, etc.

Enjoy that precious little baby...13 lbs. at 2 months?! I just love chubby little breastfed babies! (grin!)
Tami

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register