GYN Oncologist appt. tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

GYN Oncologist appt. tomorrow GYN Oncologist appt. tomorrow

Unread 01-26-2004, 04:14 AM
GYN Oncologist appt. tomorrow

Ladies,

I am 3 weeks post op TAH/BSO for endometrial cancer stage I. Since my diagnosis, my GYN MD has been in consult with this GYN Oncologist. During a F/U appt last week with my GYN MD to check my incision that opened during staple removal (ugh), he told me that he was making arrangements for me to have an appt with this GYN Oncologist because although my final path report remained stage I, there were some 2 and 3 grade cells found, and he would like this MD to further discuss this with me. One side of my head knows this is appropriate followup, but the other side is more nervous about this that I was going into surgery when less was known. I would appreciate from those who have had this followup, to let me know what to expect during this appt., and some questions I should keep in mind to ask. Thanks in advance for your input. PS My appt with the GYN Oncologist is 1/27/04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2004, 06:00 AM

Dear Nightengale,

Although I can't help you on the technical end, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
Marlene
Unread 01-26-2004, 07:19 AM

Nightengale,
Good luck with your appointment tomorrow! Will keep you in my prayers for a good appt. with your gyn/onc. I am glad you will be followed by the gyn/onc, as they are the experts! You should be in good hands and I hope you will feel comfortable there. Let us know, and I hope you are recovering well from your surgery!

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2004, 10:55 AM

Hi Nightengale
You and I share the same dx. I am a little over 18 months post op from a tah/bso for stage 1a endometrial cancer. I was 44 when dx....When I visited with the onc/gyn that did my surgery he told me that I was a stage 1a, which was excellent....very very early cancer but that the cells were grade1, 2's and 3's....the pathology graded it as 2 ( I guess there were more 1 and 2's)..I think they take an average of the cells that are found and determine what grade the cell is..I of course flipped out...but he re-assured me that it really wasnt concerning since the stage was still 1a..which meant it didnt invade or go anywhere, lymphnodes were clean, washings were clean......He said the danger would have been if I had let it go....because the grade determines the aggressiveness of the cell.
Are you going to do hrt or opt for the natural way? Feel free to ask any questions you have.....I would be happy to share my journey through the last 18 months.
Unread 01-26-2004, 06:02 PM

Nightingale: One thing you might want to talk to the Onc about is to have him reread the slides. I had a hysteroscopy where the diagnosis was made and I was asked to bring the slides. He had another pathologist read the slides since there was some question about my cancer. When an oncologist works with a particular pathologist, he can look at the report and compare the evaluation with what he's experienced in the past. Although we may think they read slides the same way, pathology is still very much an art. And the actual type of cancer can be important for treatment -- there are several different types of endometrial cancer, some more aggressive than others. 80% are of the most common type. I, on the other hand had a very rare type, but one that is a curable as the most common type. That can have an influence on follow-up treatment.

My cancer was stage 1B, Grade 2, so very similar to yours. At this stage, it's very curable, but I'll see a lot of my Onc over the next few years. It's good to have an experienced Dr. looking after you. Good luck.

Linda
Unread 01-26-2004, 06:34 PM

First, I am sorry to hear about the problem you experienced with your incision. I hope you heal up very quickly without any further problems.

With respect to your appointment with the gyn-onc, I would suggest that you find out the exact stage and grade of your tumor. When I saw my gyn-onc for a follow-up appointment after surgery, I obtained a copy of both the pathology and surgery reports. The pathology report should give both the stage and grade of your cancer. My stage and grade was found at the end of the report. The gyn-onc can discuss what the clinical significance is of all the information contained on the pathology report.

As you probably are already aware, there are three substages to a stage 1 endometrial cancer. Stage 1 can range anywhere from superficial endometrial invasion (with no myometrial invasion at all--a stage 1A), to deep myometrial invasion (more than 50% of the thickness of the myometrium--a stage 1C). Stage 1B would be where the tumor had invaded less than 50% of the thickness of the myometrium.

My endometrial tumor was surgically staged as a 1C, because it had invaded 80% of the thickness of my myometrium. Therefore, my gyn-onc prescribed a course of radiation after my radical hysterectomy. I suspect that the gyn-onc will discuss whether or not he/she would recommend any further treatment based on your specific pathological findings.

The pathology report will also provide the grade of the tumor. Although you mention grade 2 and 3 cells, the pathology report should give the final grading. Grades range from 1, which is the least aggressive through 3, which is most aggressive. My tumor was a grade 2. So I ended up a surgical stage 1C, grade 2. I also was clinically staged as a 2B by my gyn-onc, but that's a long story!

Wishing you the best of luck at your appointment tomorrow. Please let us know how everything goes.

MoeKay
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:17 AM

Ladies,

Thank you so much for your input which has really helped me to understand the staging and grading system much better. I will let you all know how the appt. with the gyn/onc goes today.
Unread 01-27-2004, 11:22 AM

Just returned home from my gyn/onc appt. What a great doc!!!
He explained everything in great detail for me. My endometrial cancer was very superficial with all concuring it was Stage IA Grade 2. He did not recommend radiation at this time which was a great relief for me, but will continue to follow me with my regular gyn who did the surgery alternating 3 month visits. He did order a repeat abdominal CT scan prior to my next appt with him because 3 very tiny lesions likely cysts which he said I may have had my entire life were noted on the CT scan done prior to surgery, and wants to see if these lesions should change in size, etc. in the future. So all in all, I feel quite elated and confident with the care I have thus far received, and thank God and of you here for your support and concern
Unread 01-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Great news Nightingale! Glad your Dr is good and explained everything. Sounds like you are on the same treatment schedule that I am. I go to the gyn/onc now every six months and the regular gyn at the 3 month intervals inbetween those visits.

Sounds like our cancers were found at about the same stage. Stay well!

Linda
Unread 01-27-2004, 04:23 PM

Nightengale,

Good for you! So glad that you don't need those treatments. And continued followups will be a good thing. You'll feel reassured and confident, all of which helps in recovery.

Now treat yourself to some pampering!

Blessings.
Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register