Rectocele - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-31-2004, 06:26 PM
reconstructive surgery

jeebo - I am recuping from similar reconstructive surgery that you are looking at. On the 19th my dr who specializes in uro/gyno pelvic reconstruction spent 6 hrs operating on me. What he thought,after much scrutiny, would be an easy surgery, was very complicated. I had a lot of scar tissue and my first sling made from a cadaver was adhered to my bladder. He did nic my bladder a few times releasing the old sling and putting in a new mesh one. My ovaries were also a mess. One not where it should be and one with lots of adhesions as well.

I don't know yet if it was worth it. My experience was sheer hell but not because of the surgery - the hospital and staff was horrible. It is now almost 2 wks later, the staples were removed Thurs and my "pee bag" is suppose to come out next week and I really don't feel too bad. Much much better than after my hyst!

Only time will tell if this helps my peeing and my pain, etc. I had just about all things you can have repaired and am told REST and lift NOTHING for weeks and heal heal heal. Dr said women don't do that long enough...........this time I am heading his advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Meltzer, We are surgery twins

Mel, I will be having the exact same surgery on the exact same day!
I have the same family profile you mentioned, just one less munchkin. I am really worried about how things will get done and how kids will get to and fro activities without their taxi-driver. When I finish worried about them I start to worry about the surgery and how painful it will be and how many complications there could be. Then I move on to worrying about my DH and if after a couple of weeks of me resting I will still be able to refer to him with the "D" or if I will have to use expletives. Pretty soon it is 1:20am and I am sitting at the computer turning to my sisters!

Keep in touch. It will be really nice to have someone who knows exactly what I'm going through.

Cindy
Unread 02-01-2004, 02:12 AM
Rectocele

I had TVH with A&P repairs on July 3, 2003. Everything is working well. At the time I was 50 and had been menopausal for 5-6 years. I had consulted 2 doctors and 1 GYN, who did the surgery. Each told me the prolapses were from four vaginal births of rather large (for me) babies. Each suggested a pessary as a temporary solution for the uterine prolapse. None were enthusiastic about the idea. I opted not to do that as I was not in pain and thought I was coping well with the bladder prolapse. I did not even recognize the bowel prolapse until I was healed and found the difference with BMs. Fortunately I have never suffered from constipation and maybe that is why that part was not an issue. I am a slow healer and was a little anemic after, so was tired for a long time. My husband works from home and the kids are older - 13, 15, 18, 21- so did not need me much and all have been trained to do some housework since I work full time. I am still not 100% (maybe 80%?) but quality of life is much better. I am definitely glad I had the surgery. Best wishes to all of you ladies in waiting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Sugery is over!

I can't believe I am actually sitting here at the computer and it is only 6 days since my surgery! It went flawlessly....TVH with anterior and posterior repair, bladder and intestines tack on 2/3/04 at 1 pm and was home by 12 noon on the 5th. I have even done a little laundry (shame on me). I just wanted to say hi and hope Cindy and anyone else has done as well. I'll check back in a day or two !

Hugs to all...
Unread 02-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Hi Melzer

Today it is one week post-op and I feel great! My surgery went very well. They found adenomyosis and an ovarian cyst in addition to the main reason for the hysterectomy, severe prolapse. I hope this means a relief from the constant back pain I have endured for about 7 years! I feel great now, but that may still be the pain meds talking. I am trying to wean off them this week to see what the real me feels like! My spirits are high and I am excited about this new beginning. Glad to hear your repairs went well Melzer! Thank goodness for modern medicine and God's healing hand.
Cindy
Unread 02-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Rectocele

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! Well, I must admit, only having my surgery 11 days ago, you would have thought by me being out and about today that I hadn't had anything done! I was a little sore in my back but other than that, I felt wonderful! Maybe it was being in our home for so long without getting out into the "World" or maybe I'm just nuts, but I just needed a day to go, go, go! I even felt so good tonight that I met a friend of mine at TJ Maxx's to look around for an hour before having a late dinner. I really hope and pray I am not going to regret this tomorrow! I plan on being good and staying in most of tomorrow. I guess I feel like most of the women on here and feel like my family "needed" me to be back to normal, so by weaning off the pain meds early (800 mg Motrin is very good now) I finally got my bowels moving. Boy, that was almost the worst part of recovery for me....gas/constipation. I even wore my presurgery jeans today, which made me so happy. I know having the hysterectomy vaginally makes a huge difference with swelling and extra pain. Other than the internal repairs and feeling like I just had one heck of an episiotomy, I really didn't feel as bad as I thought I would. I must admit, the day after my last post (doing laundry) I really paid dearly. I was so miserable on day 7 that I didn't even answer the phone to talk to people calling to check on me. I stayed in bed all day and finally got up mid-morning on day 8. After that, it has been very uneventful. I hope this is encouraging to anyone about to have a TVH with pelvic reconstruction....it is a quicker recovery that I anticipated, but I plan on maintaining "light duty" things until my 4-6 week post-op.

Hugs and smiles to all.......
Unread 02-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Rectocele

After the reconstruction work done - I've been still instructed to do nothing. It's been 3 weeks. I return to the dr Thurs and then maybe after an exam I will be given the green light to do more. I haven't been able to lift anything with weight or drive. Things do seem to be healing ok. BMs are still a prob. My bladder is doing its own thing - going whenever it wants even if it means I am no where near the bathroom. But I don't feel too bad. Just very tired and bloated.

Glad to hear you are doing well Mel. Just don't over do it. I learned that lesson!
Unread 02-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Bless you, Laur!

My goodness, you have been throught a lot it sounds like, especially since your hysterectomy was in 2000. I hope things are much better this time around. It sounds like you had the reconstruction part done abdominally? Ouch. I was very fortunate and all my work was done vaginally, so other than a few throbs in the midsection occasionally or my "episiotomy" hurting like heck, I have done much better than I ever dreamed. Due to my large family and a busy husband, I haven't been as "good" as my Dr. told me to be, but goodness, if I didn't get up and do the laundry and sweep and organize the kids rooms and the main part of the house, it would look like something out of a horror magazine! My kids are trying to help, but they, along with DH, create more messes! I have really been on DH's case lately with his "lack of help" but all that gets me is a case of the cold shoulder or eye rolls or an explanation of how he has a headache, neck ache or didn't have time. Hmmmm, can anyone feel the sarcasm dripping off of me tonight, or what?! :-) Any advice for making my life easier other than me totally boycotting housework? I am looking for a magic phrase to make him get a clue!!!!!

Feel better, Laur and Cindy! I can't wait to hear back from ya'll!!!

Smiles and a few aches......Mel
Unread 02-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Rectocele

Mel, Good luck with help around the house! I have also had to get some laundry done and do a few things I shouldn't be doing. I have older kids and they are in school or working so not much help. DH "works" and can't figure out why I must still rest. I don't look sick. In fact, most people are curious as to why I am not up to speed yet.

I did have vaginal hyst but this time around it was abdominal surgery. Thank goodnes the incision is healing well.

But on top of recuping from surgery - I have to deal with my hand. That somehow the IV messed up and I have to wear a splint. Add no sleep and an ulcer flare up and geee.......what do people want from me???

I hope you find the answer to what to say to get people to help or understand...do share it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register