Contact lenses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Contact lenses Contact lenses

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Contact lenses

Silly question I know, but are there any contact lenses you can leave in during surgery? I need to get new ones and I was just thinking that would be nice. My eyes are sooooooooo bad. I hate the thought of waking up in the recovery room and not being able to see or find my glasses. I'm sure they will be right there for me as they were with my outpatient procedures, but it's a concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Contact lenses

This is a question to ask at your hospital pre-op, but I don't believe any contact lenses are allowed. I am very near sighted but when I woke up in the recovery room I was groggy and didn't care whether I had glasses or not. When I got to my room, my stuff was on a side table right next to the bed. I was able to get my glasses without a problem.
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Contact lenses

Although I normally leave my contacts in regardless of what people tell me -- I wore them all through basic training in the A.F. and no one knew -- I actually took them out for surgery. I think it was the best choice but I sort of wish I kept them in. Because I put my glasses in my overnight bag which I gave to my DH to hold. But my DH decided I was taking too long in surgery and went home (it's like an hour drive). So I was blind my first day and the nurse flipped on the tv for me and I'm like Oh that's brilliant, I get to sit here and stare at some blinking colors from across the room.

I think if you ask about contacts they will say no. My hospital crew got all freaked out when they saw I was wearing a hair band in my hair and after much arguing (amongst themselves, I was already drugged up), they decided it wouldn't interfere and kept it in.

If you do go with glasses instead, make sure whoever is holding them for you will be there when you wake up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Contact lenses

My eyes a very bad, I can't not see a thing with out my contacts. Do not worry about the recovery room, you will not know what is going on. My first memory is coming into my room. After 3hrs of surgery and 3 hrs in recovery. Just make sure that who ever is waiting for you, has your glasses. They let someone back with me intil the very last minute. My contacts did not work so well after the surgery. My eyes were very dry. Another tip: Take lip balm with you. You lips and mouth will also be dry.
Good Luck!!
Unread 01-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Contact lenses

In our Optometric practice we don't even promote sleeping in lenses. We have found that those who sleep in them and feel ok tend to overuse and abuse their wearing schedules. The eyes need to breathe and wearing a contact lens while your eyes are closed reduces oxygen to the eyes. Also as women get older or their estrogen levels drop, they find that their eyes are drier and their lenses are not as comfortable. I think that going into surgery is not a good time to try out new solutions to seeing. Maybe you can explain to whoever will be waiting for you that not being able to see when you wake up is a concern. Maybe mentioning this to your doctor right before surgery or the surgical nurse might help to remind them. Good Luck!

Cylinder5
Unread 01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Contact lenses

For my recent Laparoscopy in December all the paperwork stated that contacts be removed. I was prepared to do so so when the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me I mentioned that if he could give me a 5 minute warning so I could take out my contacts I would appreciate it. He then asked me my normal wear schedule - I wear the focus night and days - so I put them in at the beginning of the month and take them out at the end of the month. 30 days - don't remove them. When he heard that he said - "leave them in!" It depends on the anesthesiologist. Some of the newer/younger ones are more up on the latest materials that are used - mine are a silicone so they allow more oxygen into the eyes. It was nice to leave them in because during recovery the nurse was asking if my vision was clearing as I was coming out of anesthestic. Funny thing is if I didn't have them in - i'm pretty darn blind so the answer to that question would have always been a "no". I enjoyed being able to see when I woke up. It's bad enough that the brain is pretty foggy, much less the vision. My advice? Wear them that morning until it's time to go. When the anesthesiologist comes in to talk to you ask him for a 5 minute warning so you can take them out. At least you'll have clear vision while your waiting. if you sleep in them normally he may say "keep them in". I will be doing the same thing this time around also. I will keep them in through the pre-op i.v. stuff because I'd really like to see and I hate wearing my glasses. I will take them out just before being wheeled into the operating room - but i'm hoping i'll get the same anesthesiologist!
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:02 PM
contacts

No, I was told not to wear them, so I didn't. You really won't be needing them day anyway, the next morning I did put them in and I also had brought my glasses. I don't think they want anything in your eyes during surgery.
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Contact lenses

I wore my glasses right up until they started wheeling me into the operating room, and they were put back on when I asked in the Recovery Room. Not a problem at all, they even gave me a case to store them in!

I'm glad I left my contacts at home.
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:16 PM
Contact lenses

Ugh. This is actually the one part that I am dreading. For my D&C, they made me take off my glasses and put them into my own case as soon as they took me back to the prep room. I could not see a thing. They had forgotten a few forms and brought them for me to sign while I was totally blind. Plus, a bunch of nurses and the a-people were coming in and out and I could only hear their voices. I hated it. Then, when I woke up, I couldn't focus on anything and it made it much harder to wake up. Having my eyes open without glasses is uncomfortable so I kept closing them and going back to sleep. I think I will explain this to the nurses ahead of time and let them know how much I want/need my glasses. Turns out, they were right under my bed the whole time. And, I have several pairs so I will give one to each family member in their goodie bag.
Unread 01-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Contact lenses

I also wanted to mention something that was a little funny. As I stated earlier, I left mine out but didn't have my glasses when I came out of surgery. But I had that oxygen tube stuck up my nostrils and the tubes went off to either side right under my eyes so to me, it felt like my glasses. So I kept instinctively trying to push my glasses further up the bridge of my nose only to find there was nothing there. It was a really weird feeling. I don't know, maybe it was the meds that made that story funny.

phrostie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register