Questions: cancer or benign? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions: cancer or benign? Questions: cancer or benign?

Unread 01-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Questions: cancer or benign?

Hi Folks,
I have recently been diagnosed with a "complex adnexal mass" in my abdomen (approx 14cm X 11cm X 11cm), which my GP orginally told me was a simple fluid-filled cyst. Unfortunately, upon visiting the GYN yesterday, it was NOT a simple fluid-filled cyst, but instead a complex tumor, which may or may not be cancer. I will be seeing the gyn/ocologist tomorrow, but I have a couple of questions which you may be able to answer:

1. If the "tumor" is contained within a "well-defined capsule", is this indicative of whether or not it is malignant/benign?

2. I have noticed that the skin surface outside of the tumor (which is rather large, and causes my belly to protrude significantly) is cooler to the touch than the rest of my body. Is this indicative of whether the tumor is malignant/benign?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I haven't got any of the "indicators" for ovarian cancer, but this apparently doesn't matter all that much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Hi Real,

Hope all goes well with your oncologist/gynocologist appointment.

My tumor was also "well defined" or so I was told. Almost 2 years ago I had a hyst for most of the same symptoms you describe. Unfortunately, mine came back as ovarian cancer at stage 3. Truthfully, my oncologist/gyno said right from the beginning that they would not know for sure whether or not it would be cancerous until they go in and take a look.

Keep in touch.

Rosalie
Unread 01-27-2004, 07:08 PM

Do you know what your CA-125 is? They can be quite elevated in severe endo -- and the appearance of your mass suggests endometrioma, too. If you have a history of endo, it may well be that's what you're dealing with: "chocolate cysts" can be HUGE.

An ultrasound looking at blood flow inside the mass can be helpful, too; endometriomas typically don't have much, but malignancies do.

My mass looked very similar to yours, and as I am a small(ish) person, it was pretty obvious. My CA-125 was 200 -- but it turned out to be an endometrioma in the setting of Stage IV endo -- no treat either, but not malignant.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2004, 03:17 AM

Good luck with your visit tomorrow Real.
Hope all goes well.

You have found a great site and the ladies here will help you heaps.

Audrey - Drs here dont do the CA test - seen as unreliable.
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:59 AM

That's interesting, as it gives the doctors a way to track the disease process; if a woman does have an elevated CA-125, and is diagnosed with cancer, it's a way to follow the effects of therapy.

My doctor has been using it periodically to gauge any return of my severe endo; it's spiked a couple of times, but never to the previous numbers. I agree, not everyone with an elevated CA-125 will have cancer -- and, conversely, not everyone with ovarian CA will have an elevated CA-125 -- but until the proteomics is more widely available, it at least serves as a marker for therapy.

Audrey
Unread 01-28-2004, 02:22 PM

I agree Audrey - but we (the decision makers - who happen to be male)are sometimes too slow to catch on with ideas here. Not quite sure who they think they are protecting really. Makes you think, doesn't it.

Maybe if men were able to develop ovarian cancer and other female illnesses they might think more about this.

Interesting though, they do use a marker for Prostate cancer!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM

s realmccoy

Unfortunately the two scenarios you describe, can't really give an indication as to whether your mass is malignant or benign.
It is great that you were able to see a gyn/oncologist so quickly.
Please stop back and let us know how the visit went.
Best wishes.

oxoxox karenann
Unread 01-28-2004, 07:06 PM
Back from gyn/oncologists - surgery next Tue

Hi Folks,
Firstly, thanks to all who replied - it's good to at least get some info. They actually did do a CA125 test on me on Tuesday - the results were somewhat nebulous - elevated, but not severely so (said 'normal' was 35 - mine was 70-something). So it could be cancer, or might not be. He was concerned about the size of the tumor, though, and wanted to remove it ASAP. Am now scheduled into the local private hospital for Tuesday. The Dr said that he would remove the tumor (& associated ovary), and my uterus - while he was operating, initial tests will be carried out on the tumor to see if it's cancerous -- if so, he will "clear my abdomen" and do biopsies of organs around the tumor - if not, he will leave my second ovary (providing it's healthy looking) and close me up. I will be in hospital for 7 days (if all goes well), then off work for a total of 6 weeks.

realmccoy
TAH - possibly leaving one ovary...
Unread 01-28-2004, 07:22 PM

Hope all goes well with the surgery. Sounds like you have a very thorough Doctor.

Interesting that you were given the CA125 test - think Ill have to have a little word with my medical people! The level sounds not too high, so fingers crossed.

We will be thinking of you
Unread 01-29-2004, 12:23 AM
good doctors...

Hi Aussieone,
Yes, apparently my Dr is considered one of the best in Australia - what part of Oz are you in? I was very encouraged when I visited him today - other patients spoke very highly of him, and he was a good communicator, and answered all of my questions. I'm told he also has "great hands" (which is kinda what you want in a surgeon, isn't it?), so I'm feeling pretty comfortable about the upcoming surgery. So far. ;-)

Again, thanks to all for your answers and support.

Sarah
TAH, possibly leaving one ovary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register