New, scared, things moving fast! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, scared, things moving fast! New, scared, things moving fast!

Unread 01-27-2004, 07:43 PM
New, scared, things moving fast!

Hi! I'm Melissa, age 34 3/4...GYN Onc 99% sure Cervical cancer...waiting for biopsy results...2.5x2.4x3.6 cervical mass (MRI)...have "exam under anesthesia" scheduled for 2/5, hysterectomy tentative for 2/17...whoa....just needing some reassurance here. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 07:54 PM

I am scared too. My MRI came back with "bilateral cystic septated ovarian masses which most likely represent bilateral primary ovarian neoplasms, either serous or mucinous cyst adenocarcinomas". My gynecologist says they have to go in there to know what it actually is and I will have surgery maybe as soon as Friday. I already had a hysterectomy 25 years ago but still have my ovaries. I am on premarin.
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:17 PM

Dear Melissa,
I understand your feelings right now, it is very scarey to hear "cancer". I just wanted to say that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Waiting around for the diagnosis is very hard.... I hope it has been caught really early and will be treated with surgery. It is really good that you have already been to the gyn/onc. , as they are the experts in this area! You can do a search in this forum ( if you haven't already) on cervical cancer, and alot of information that may be helpful to you will come up. Good luck and keep us posted. We will be here to help you through.
Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 09:20 PM

Melissa,
What kind of 'exam under anesthesia'? I don't know what that is. What's he looking for? If he's doing a hysterectomy, what is this additional exam for?

I know how scary this diagnosis is because I had it last April. I wanted a hysterectomy because I just wanted the cancer OUT. But my tumor was too big doctors. Here won't do surgery if the tumor is over 4cm. So I had chemo and radiation, which isn't as bad as it sounds. You probably won't have to have chemo or radiation, just the surgery.

When do you get the biopsy back? Did your doctor stage your cancer? Mine was staged at 1B2 which means it was large, but confined to the cervix. The biopsy just confirmed what the gyn/onc had already told me.

Hugs,
Janie

PS to Zelda, sorry I can't help, I don't know any thing about your diagnosis.
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:07 AM

Hi Melissa and Zelda,

Yes, the thought of cancer is one of the scariest things. However, there is a bright side... We are all here together to talk things through, send support, compare experiences, and listen to each other.

At this point you are both very overwhelmed and confused. I suggest taking everything one day at a time and when you see your doctors, bring along someone who will be an extra set of ears, eyes, and listening/note taking partner for you.

How well I still remember my whirlwind experience. However it is almost 2 years now and I am starting to calm down. (sometimes)

Please keep in touch and let us know what your doctors say.

Rosalie
Unread 01-28-2004, 10:18 AM

Ladies, thank you so much for your kind, concerned posts! The DR put it at stage 1B. The exam is so they can get up there and make sure it hasn't spread and so they know what they're dealing with...just more time to take off before the hysterectomy!

Anyway, I have an appointment on the 4th to hear all the biopsy results, my husband and parents will be there too, thankfully! My first appointment I went by myself, thought it would just be a consult...next thing I know, colposcopy and biopsy!! That was a fun ride home!

The radical hysterectomy will be scheduled probably for 2/17. Just don't know what to expect with the radical surgery...How long will I be in the hospital? out of work? etc....now that it's looming I just want it done and out!

Melissa
Unread 01-28-2004, 10:25 AM

Hi Melissa,
I was diagnosed with cervical cancer at 35. That was a little over 2 years ago and I am fine.

Stage 1B is very early and highly curable if that is what it is.

Are you using a gyn oncologist? They are the experts in the field.

I never had an MRI during this process. Did they do a cone biopsy on you?
Unread 01-28-2004, 11:06 AM

I had a radical hyst on a Monday and was home thursday night. As far as work, I don't know. Alot will depend on what type of work you do.
No lifting over 10 pounds for six weeks and no driving for 4 weeks is going to be pretty well the standard.

nancy j
Unread 01-28-2004, 12:33 PM

Hi again Melissa,

Hospital stays are different for everyone but in my case, I am a fast healer and a very determined person. Nothing was going to stop me. I had my hyst late on a Thursday afternoon and was home on Sunday morning. The faster you get up and walk, the quicker you will heal. I absolutely hated the morphine drip that they give you for pain. It made me feel doopy, dizzy, and sleepy. I was switched to regular tylenol and all was fine.

I was not allowed to drive for 4 weeks. The reason for that is because ever though you are healed on the outside your insides still are healing.

As for the staying home and not working part. Doc wanted me to stay home for 6 weeks, I wanted to go back to work after 3 weeks, so we compromised on 5 weeks. I am a teacher and the staying home was driving me nuts.

After the 5 week period came the chemo. 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin. I also worked throughout my treatments.

Be strong.

Rosalie
Unread 01-28-2004, 01:18 PM

Dear Melissa,

Although my cancer was a different one from yours, the thought of any cancer in our bodies is frightening. But I just want to tell you that early detection and removal, and treatment if it's called for, are your best chance against a reocurrence. So many GYN cancers are fairly localized--I think cervical is often that way--and surgery, with whatever followups are recommended, can indeed be a "cure."

Everyone is different, but I went in on a Tuesday morning, had my surgery around 9 am or so, and went home the following Friday morning. I was up and walking the morning after surgery, and I walked very regularly while in the hospital--even at 2 am, if I woke up, I was walking the halls. The DR gave me 6-8 weeks for recuperation, and after 6 weeks told me to gradually "go back to normal." One nurse told me that I had the best recuperation she'd ever seen from major surgery. The secret is to take your time, listen to your body, and remember that if you do too much too fast, your body will kick back later. You'll only get one chance to recuperate from this operation, so take it slow. It's no coincidence that we're "princesses" when we come back--we need to treat ourselves that way until our bodies are ready to go back to normal..and your body will let you know when it's time.

OK, enough of a speech! You're in my thoughts & prayers.

Blessings.
Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register