New, scared, things moving fast! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, scared, things moving fast! New, scared, things moving fast!

Unread 01-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Hi

I'm 36...cervical cancer diagnosed 6 weeks ago. Tumor was 2.5-2.75 big. Had a radical 2 weeks ago. Was tough, but getting through it with help of family and friends. Have to go thru chemo and radiation because was found in one lymph node of 21, but doc says I'm going to be fine.

I'm sure you're going to be 100% fine and your tests will be negative. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. All will be well. Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes. If you ever want to talk, vent or cry to someone who understands your fear and anxiety, feel free to drop me a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2004, 07:51 PM
New, scared, things moving fast!

Hi Annie,
I'm sure you must be feeling somewhat overwhelmed....I was dx with endometrial ca 6 weeks ago....It is rather depressing for me...I go back to work Monday, which I think is good, as I see my son off to school now, and go back to bed for a few hours.
Many projects I thought I would complete in this 6 week period did not come to fruition...scrapbooks,cleaning out closets and drawers,etc....so I' m trying to absolve the "guilt" for this, and move on....I wish you the best, and will keep you in my thoughts...none of this is easy, but there is always a way to see it through....."the point of power is always in the present moment"......
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:33 PM

Hi Melissa,
I had endometrial hyperplasia (abnormal cells), expected to be 40-60% + for cancer; after my endometrial (uterus) biopsy prior to surgery. Sure enough, it was, +_ for early stage cancer after the complete hysterctomy;and I am so happy to have had it taken care of...no further RT or chemo is recommended at this point. I have seen an OB-gyn Oncologist in addition to my OB -GYn for follow up(and also prior to to the surgery she recommended); I also have another outside (of my hospital network) opinion pending soon with another OB-gyn oncologist pending to see if any other recommendations are indicated.
I had surgery for LAVH with the works done 12-17, and left the hospital the next day. Back at exercising a couple of weeks later. Felt guilty cus I felt so well, and didn't go back to work....will go back this Monday. Also sleep alot, and just hang out ,dream, and deal with the hot flashes, herbal remedies, estrogen ,etc....
My sister says the emotional stuff takes a long time to deal with, and I can see that....and many sources say that this type of a change helps you to realize your mortality issues; that it is essentially a platform from which you can leap to strive and do,and be, what you choose, knowing, that life is no longer a cake walk......but a forum in which to BE. Best of luck....keep in touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2004, 08:38 PM

Hi Zelda,
How are you doing?
Thoughts are with you....
Unread 01-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi Melissa

Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. I had a radical hyster. in June for uterine and cervical cancer. It wasn't bad at all. I didn't have much soreness after. I was in hospital for 5 days and was glad to get home. I rested for a couple of weeks and was back babysitting the five grandkids the next week. The oldest is 7. The most important thing is that you do not do any heavy lifting...groceries, laundry etc. You should not do any heavy duty housework either for about 6 weeks. I also had to go through 5 weeks of radiation and 3 days of internal radiation but hopefully am on the mend now. I think the most important thing is that you keep a positive attitude. If you make up your mind that you will be fine, it really helps. Hope every think goes ok for you and try not to worry. It really isn't as bad as it sounds.
Unread 01-29-2004, 01:11 AM

Dear Melissa,

I was 37 when I was diagnosed with cancer. I tried to go to a gynecological cancer support group, but I was the youngest person there, and my enthusiasm was kind of met with, "Oh, I tried that and it didn't work." I was not impressed by the cynicism, but I suppose given the respective experiences of the people in the room, they were entitled.

I'm now attending a young adults support group at the Wellness Community, which has branches all over the US. You can find their site using Google. It's nice just going into a room once a week to talk to other people in their late 20s and 30s who are dealing with various cancers. I guess it helps me feel less alone.

Tip for hysterectomy: Get some men's large boxer shorts. They're great when your tummy has staples and you can't wear regular panties. Also, get a small pillow to hold to your tummy, since you'll feel like your insides are going to fall out onto the floor. Holding the tummy pillow while walking, laughing or going to the restroom helps a ton!

Despite my fighting will and determination, my surgery was a fairly big one so I was in the hospital five or six days. I wanted to go home on Day 5, but they kept me until I could pass gas. It can be a milestone that they'll want you to pass before you leave.

I wish you a lot of luck with your surgery. Please keep us posted. I hope they don't find anything else and that your cancer was caught early enough that no further treatment will be required, or that only minimal treatment will be required.

s!
Unread 01-29-2004, 01:25 AM

Missie,
I haven't heard of this method of checking for spread of cervical cancer. Perhaps he's looking into your uterus? Although cervical cancer isn't usually found there. I had a CAT scan that checked lymph glands, all the pelvic organs, the stomach, and my lungs.
Without surgery, there isn't any good way to check for lymph gland invovlement, so that was the best they could do. The most common locations for spread are the rectum and the vagina. Since cervical cancer can be seen and felt, your doctor probably has a good idea that it hasn't spread.

I know the feeling. I too was by myself when I found out that I had cervical cancer. I too thought it was just a consult before my ob/gyn did surgery. What a shocker!!! I called my husband from my cell phone in the parking lot. I was so relieved to finally have a diagnosis, and a treatment plan, that it hadn't sunk in yet. And it didn't for a long time after that. I didn't have an appointment for my biospy results because the doctor had already told me that I had cancer and what the treatment would be. Of course I had hoped the biospy would prove him wrong, but it didn't. I was already in treatment when the biospy came back (it took 5 or 6 days) and the rad/onc told me that the biopsy confirmed the gyn/onc's findings. Then the gyn/onc called and told me the same thing. After getting the diagnosis, the biopsy results are really nothing so don't worry about that appointments. What's the worst thing he can say? That you have cancer? You already know that! It will also tell you what kind of cervical cancer it is, but that won't alter your treatment. Most likely the only thing that will alter your current treatment plan is if the doctor does another exam and finds the tumor is larger than he thought or in such a position that he can't get clear margins.
Since he's already examed you, that's not likely to happen.

The doctor won't be able to tell you if you need radiation and chemo until they have biopsied the lymph glands when they do surgery. But it seems the vast majority of women don't need that after surgery.

Since you do have this appointment, before further treatment, jot down any questions you have, as you think of them. I kept a writing tablet in my kitchen and I wrote down questions whenever I thought of one. Then I just tore off the sheets whenever I had an appointment. Writing down the questions helped me to not obsess on them and it made sure that I wouldn't forget anything. Ask your doctor what this 'exam under anesthesia' is looking for. I can't imagine what he's looking for that he wouldn't see better when he does the surgery. What is he doing that requires you to be knocked out? Sorry, I've just never heard of this pre-surgery kind of exam. Perhaps it's something new that doctors are doing.

Please keep us posted. This is all doable and you will fine. Really, you will. Feel free to email me, since I just finished treatments in July 03, it's pretty fresh in mind and I certainly remember how overwhelming it was to get that diagnosis. Just try to do one day at a time, one appointment at a time. You can do it!

Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 01-29-2004, 08:21 PM

I am so glad I was told about this wonderfully supportive place!! You have all provided me some much needed reassurance! Thank you so much! I have an appointment on Wednesday to get the official biopsy results, though my GYN Onc may call tomorrow or Monday with them. My friends and family keep telling me how well I am handling all that's happened these past couple of days, but you know, I don't have a choice-I have a wonderful husband and a beautiful daughter who turned 4 today! I just take it one day at a time! Thanks again. I'll post when I have more concrete information! Have a great weekend everyone!

Missy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register