Ovarian cancer or not ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian cancer or not ? Ovarian cancer or not ?

Unread 01-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

I had an MRI done because of low back pain. But they found also a large fluid-filled mass. In the conclusion of their report they say :
"Incidental demonstration of bilateral cystic septated ovarian masses which most likely represent bilateral primary ovarian neoplasms, either serous or mucinous cyst adenocarcinomas". They recommend to consider further imaging by CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis with IV contrast.
My gynecologist does not think that further imaging is necessary because it won't tell us anything more. He says that you can only know when you are in there and have everything analyzed. I am supposed to have surgery on Friday. He will take out my ovaries, my tubes, some fat cover (?) and maybe lymph nodes to make sure there aren't any malignant cells anywhere. I already had a hysterectomy some 25 years ago. Tomorrow they will do the pre-op : ekg, x-rays of lungs and blood test for cancer. I asked him about that and he said he wants that only for reference. I am really scared.
Thank you Karenann for your message.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

Hi Zelda,

Please make sure that an oncologist/gynocolotist does your surgery. They are the experts and know exactly what to look for.

Any surgeon or gynocologist can do a hysterectomy but if the slightest hint of cancer may be present, only a trained oncologist/gyocologist is acceptable.

Although everyone is different, I was in the hospital for only 2 days with my hysterectomy. I do not think that they keep you a week anymore unless there are complications.

Keep in touch.
Rosalie
Unread 01-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

s Zelda

Welcome to Cancer Concerns. Hopefully once you have surgery, you will find you do not need this message board.
Just to add my support to Rosalie's excellent advice.
Is your surgery being performed by a gyn oncology surgeon?
They are the experts whenever ovarian cancer is suspected.
I realize your surgery is scheduled for Friday. But having the proper doctor perform your surgery is of utmost importance!!!
Hoping to hear from you again.
Best wishes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

(((Zelda))):

I have been in your shoes; we did do further imaging to attempt evaluation of any intestinal impingement by my big mass. Blood flow in the mass can help characterize it and plan your surgery.

The omentum is the fatty layer separating your intestines from the pelvic cavity; as it can be a "magnet" for cells, it often is removed as part of the surgery. Some of us with endo -- (((Beth AC))) comes to mind -- have also had this is part of their hysts.

Endometriomas can look for all the world like cancers by imaging -- abnormal blood supply and all. There may be a non-malignant diagnosis for this as well, although the surgery would be the same.

I can't underline enough the advice you've already been given: only a GYN-oncologist should be a doing a surgery this complex. Otherwise, any intestinal involvement would require finding another surgeon to do any bowel repair (this happened to me with a complex ectopic pregnancy years ago).

The CA-125 is a marker, nothing more: if yours is elevated (mine was), it will help guide any needed therapy. For me, it has served as a marker for any new endo. However, some ladies don't have elevated levels; and others of us, usually with endo, do have high levels (mine was 200, normal being in our lab 0 - 35).

It would be worth the wait to make sure that you are getting the appropriate tertiary care that you need. The fact that you've had a hyst might complicate this further surgery, too, as scar tissue can distort anatomy. Given your story, it doesn't take long to get in -- once my CA-125 came back so high, I was in the oncologists' office two days later, meeting with two of them in the practice. Surgery would have been ten days later -- enough time to organize my life (sort of ) but it was postponed due to family reasons and a severe allergic reaction to something. It was worth waiting to get an excellent surgeon, and my GYN has said that, should I need further surgery, she is referring me to them again -- they truly are the surgical experts.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please make sure that you get the care that you need, OK? Let us know how it goes, please...

Big s,

Audrey
Unread 01-29-2004, 01:01 AM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

Dear Zelda,

I also had the "We won't really know until we get in there" speech. And my doctors were right. I wish you the very best of luck with your bowel prep and surgery. Know that we'll all be thinking of you and wishing you the very best.

s!
Unread 01-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

((Zelda))

If your surgery goes on tomorrow, you will probably have the preliminary path report before the blood test marker (CA-125) comes back from the lab.

I hope a gyn onc is either doing your surgery on on call to do the sampling once the initial path comes in. My gyn was able to schedule my gyn onc to do the surgery very quickly - first it was for 6 weeks, and then when my ca-125 soared after 2 weeks, it was scheduled just a few days later - enough time to do the prep.

The waiting is the worst part - we'll help you through, no matter the results.

Dorrie
Unread 01-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

Thank you all for your replies. This is it. I am having the surgery tomorrow morning. All my pre-op is done. I trust my gynecologist. I know him for over 25 years. He has 51 years of experience. If it's cancerous, he will send me to MD Anderson for follow up. Thanks again and wish me luck. Will post again to let you know how it went when I am back home.
Unread 01-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Ovarian cancer or not ?

Wishing you all the best. I'll be praying for you that surgery goes well, your recovery is smooth and the pathology report is good.

Take care

Limbo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register