Castle Prep & Post Op while in Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Castle Prep & Post Op while in Castle Castle Prep & Post Op while in Castle

Unread 01-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Castle Prep & Post Op while in Castle

Hi All --

I've been reading and reading alot of the posts the last few days and there is lots and lots of good info. My question -- I don't want to take to much to the castle, so, how many changes of clothes do I need -- planning on a few pair of loose fitting jammies, robe and slippers, plus clothes to go home in. Blistex, toiletries, etc. Books/magazines. Any other suggestions...

On another note, I have a 10 month old DD -- will I feel up to her being at the castle much post op?? My parents are driving down from Kansas to help me and DH with her and plan to keep her at babysitter most of time during the day ... but I know I'll want to see her ... Am I gonna feel like it??

I read a lot about a "tummy pillow" ... what exactly are you referring to??

Am scheduled for LAVH 2/19/04 due to chronic pelvic pain, recurring ovarian cysts, and abnormal bleeding -- already had right ovary removed in 2001...

Thanks for all your help!!

--Aerial--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2004, 10:13 AM

Since I only stayed in the Castle for 24 hours I only brought 1 pair of DH's pj bottoms and a large sweat shirt. Well, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, two pairs of undies and a pair of slippers. Oh...and a fresh pair of socks since I got to wear mine into the OR.

Books, magazines, etc didn't interest me since I was sleeping most of the time away. I did get up and walk every 2 hours so my slippers were a good thing. Some have brought a CD player with their favorite CDs.

My youngest DD is 3 years old and she stayed with me and DH, but they didn't stay long and didn't come back that evening.

My tummy pillow (was given to me in the hospital) is a small soft travel pillow.
Unread 01-29-2004, 10:56 AM

I had a SAH and stayed in castle 2 nights. I wore a sweatsuit (elastic waistband) the am of surgery and that is what I wore home as well. I took my own nightshirt, robe, and slippers which I wore the day after surgery. I stuck with hospital gown day of surgery...too tired to care about fashion that day! I also had a small travel pillow that I used for tummy. Good for support when you cough or laugh. I found hard candy (I used Lifesavers) to be helpful, too. Best wishes on your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2004, 11:13 AM

Just had LAVH/BSO Monday morning. I was only in the hospital 36 hours. I wore loose sweats to and from the hospital. I took hair brush, toothbrush & paste, and chapstick. I could have taken slip-on shoes to walk hall, but the nurses gave me non-slips socks. I just had the TV on most of the time for my husband or mom. I didn't really care one way or another. Should have taken one clean panties, incisions leaked first night.
Unread 01-29-2004, 12:26 PM

You probably really won't need much. I was only in ovenight, went home the next day around noon. I was glad to have my bathrobe, hairbrush, and toothpaste and toothbrush, and that was about it. Oh, and lip balm, that was very nice to have! It doesn't hurt to take some extra stuff if it makes you more comfortable--I actually took a full toiletry kit with shampoo, shower gel, etc., but used almost none of it. Still, I was glad to have my own stuff in case I ended up staying longer than anticipated.

I sure wouldn't worry about taking a bunch of clothes, though. I never changed out of the hospital gown, just put my own robe on over it when I got up from the bed.

With a LAVH (which is what I have), you probably won't be there long enough to need to change clothes!
Unread 01-29-2004, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info sisters!

Already having nightmares about surgery ... woke up very upset this a.m. after having troubled dreams... Don't know why -- have already had 4 laporoscopic surgeries in last 5 years. I guess this is just such a final, final procedure that it takes on a whole new meaning....

Thanks for your support
Unread 01-29-2004, 01:19 PM

Personally, I don't think hospitals are great places for very small children. Hospitals are teeming with all kinds of exotic germs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register