Walking for exercise vs. just plain walking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Walking for exercise vs. just plain walking Walking for exercise vs. just plain walking

Unread 01-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Walking for exercise vs. just plain walking

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op from TAH and I find that just walking through the grocery store is too much for me. Which is one reason why I am not trying to do some slow walking on my treadmill, even though I know I "should". Anyone else feel the dilemma between trying to get a bit more active and "taking it easy"? I just don't know what I should be doing at this point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 10:27 AM

YES! You are not alone. I have wondered why in the world the walking is the most tiring for me. I can do many things in the house that are small chores but the minute I try to walk next door to my Mom in laws I need to lay down and rest. I can't imagine having to walk in a store. I just could not. I know I should be walking more too but my body says no. I have to take my boys to town today to get their hair cut and am very nervous because I haven't done anything out in the world yet. I just pray it helps not hurts. I KNOW I'll need a nap afterwards. I guess everyone is different. We just gotta take it easy and listen to our bodies. I do try and do stuff thru the day to keep myself going.
Unread 01-31-2004, 10:28 AM

Hi Oreolover! Mmmm, oreos.... Well, back to your post. I can relate totally. Pre-TAH (mine was 1/7/04) I was very active physically but these days I don't have the stamina for longer walks. Thursday I walked my driveway down and back several times and that was enough. Yesterday I just walked to the mailbox and back. I think I had used up my energy shaving 1/2 of 1 leg in the shower! So what I'm doing is when I feel like I have some energy to walk a little. If I don't have the energy (and every day is different) then I don't walk much at all. I'm just trying to listen to my body; it knows more than anyone else.

Take care,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2004, 11:24 AM

My TAH was 1-7-04 and I have also been thinking about whether I should get on the treadmill or not too? I was in pretty good shape before surgery and am anxious not to stay "down" past a point. I am feeling less and less sore but get tired trying to resume a normal schedule with my 3 kids. Are you guys out everyday and doing light housework/cooking/erands? I refused a meal from friends last night and tried to cook- I was so tired and grumpy it was a disaster! Everyone has been so helpful but I am certainly at the mental stage where I feel like I want to wean myself from all the help. I know I must be patient!

Patience to all of you too!
Janee
Unread 01-31-2004, 12:13 PM

Janee~

Are you sure you're not trapped in my body?! You have just explained my daily life and thoughts! I have two kids (11 and 5). I do chores (dishes, make beds, and fold laundry). All are not all the time and all are not done as good as if I were 100%. I too tried to cook dinner and only got the chicken done. I made my 11 yr. old make some mac&cheese and veggies. I just couldn't finish. I'm glad to hear from you so I feel okay. It's getting harder as the brain awakens and the body is still dragging. Just gotta watch to not go too far .
Unread 01-31-2004, 01:29 PM

Peggy,

I still have my PJs on and it's 1:22. So after yesterdays dinner episode I am giving in today. Hoping to go out tonight with my husband and friends. We did get out last week for a movie. My kids are 9yr boy, 7yr girl, 21 mths boy and it really complicates recovery and adds guilt to not do all that I normally do. But haven't you found yourself thinking," Wow I really do, do a lot!"

Let me know if you get around to walking , really walking next week. We are expecting 6-12 inches snow so mine won't even be to the mailbox!

Later,
signed: want to walk
Janee
Unread 01-31-2004, 02:20 PM
walking vs treadmill

Hi, don't feel guilty and (perhaps) don't even try the treadmill yet. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I could walk around our little "circle" as slowly as a middle-aged Scottie dog could (smelling everything along the way). I used to walk about 4.5 miles per hour for about an hour several days per week. At almost 7 weeks postop, I can say it really still hurts to walk 3.2 miles per hour on the treadmill for 1/2 hour. However, "recreational mall-walking" doesn't hurt, except the pocketbook afterwards shopping for bargains. I think around 4 weeks I started being able to walk for more than 10 or 15 minutes, but we are all different! Enjoy the oreos and pjs!
Unread 02-01-2004, 01:34 PM

Hi there,

I am 13 days post op. I have my 2 week check up tomorrow. My doc said that after my 2 week check I may slowly start power walking again. I'm planning on going to the gym on Tuesday, so I'll let you know how I feel next week.

Take care.
Unread 02-01-2004, 02:28 PM

Spooki,

I think that slowly and short is the key! I'm 3 1/2 weeks post TAH and have really been up and around and out but really notice that my incision and belly hurt and swell when I do to much. I think I'm going to get on the treadmill at home before I go back to the gym.
FYI I was working with a trainer before surgery and she found a website www.eyesontheprize.org (Gynecological Cancer Support and Info) which had some good suggestions on how to regain ab strength safely.
Come back and tell us how you did-maybe it'll be good incentive!

Luck!
Janee
Unread 02-01-2004, 02:35 PM

Hello Princesses,
Please remember that 3 -4 weeks is still pretty early on in your recovery phase. you don't want to be getting on the treadmill or "exercising"(vs plain walking) til you've seen the dr and been released for that kind of activity.

If you are still tired just walking down the street or around the block - then that is your reality. Believe it is temporary and be sensitive to what your body is telling you.

personally it wasn't til week 5 that I started to think about more than just walking around the block more than once.

after that my energy came back at a decent pace - but even now, (over 6 months) I find that if I have a very long day I'm much more tired than I would have been a year ago -- this surgery really takes a lot out of us and it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. ---You have one chance to heal well-- I wish you all the best in making the most of it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register