1st Anniversary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1st Anniversary 1st Anniversary

Unread 02-01-2004, 07:58 PM
1st Anniversary

Well Sisters,
Yesterday I "celebrated" (if you can call it that) my first anniversary since surgery (TAH/BSO).
Still having problems with minor pain and tenderness in my lower belly and lower right side (where infected ovary and large tumor was removed). After back and forth to my GP and surgeon, plus a GI doctor (since we ended up finding some gall stones that I still have no symptoms of) I have to wait some more. Just got a call from my gyno's office and they have an appointment booked for me in August.
AUGUST!!??
Good Lord!! I could have understood waiting till .. say .. March or April, but August!!
I still think its adhesiens but of course no one will know for sure unless they get a scope in there and have a good look around. I certainly thought that by now I wouldnt FEEL like I had surgery anymore. Oh well, I guess at least its better then still having that tumor inside of me and the cancer growing.
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent ladies. Sorry for being such a party pooper. I guess I just thought that by now it all would be nothing more then just a memory.

s to everyone!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2004, 11:10 AM
1st Anniversary

Shannon:

August! That is just unbelievable. Are you sure that isn't an error? I don't know how you Canadian sisters take it.

My gyn's nurse called the other day to thank me for the [thank you] brownies I sent and I told her I had some knots under my incisions and asked how long before I should be concerned? She said if they are there next week to call and she'd work me right in and commented that as long as I had time to come by, she'd get me in just so he could take a look and reassure me.

I'm telling you, thank you gifts are much appreciated, here. Perhaps find out what your doctor's staff likes and send it on. Should get you to the top of their list.

I just had the scope and had adhesions removed. I feel much better.

Take care and I hope you are seen sooner than later.
Unread 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM
1st Anniversary

Michelle,

Thanks hon. I guess I should call the gyno's office just to make sure. I was out of town with work last week when my DH took the message. I know when I saw August I asked him and he said that is what they said. Certainly couldnt hurt to call. I know the pain certainly isnt anything like it was BEFORE surgery but its certainly there and I have good days and bad ones. Just tired of it I guess you could say.

Im so happy to hear you are feeling better hon. I certainly hope my time comes soon. I am sure it will once they figure out exactly what is causing things. When I saw a collegue of my surgeon in November he more or less figured thats what it was but said that HE had no plans to do anything about it because there would be no guarentee they wont come back. Ok .. makes sense .. but I do wish I could have actually seen MY surgeon who did the procedure, I have a feeling I could have appealed to HER to at least look into doing something. I just did not connect with this guy standing in for my surgeon, you know how that goes with some Drs.

I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks so much sisters!!! You are the BEST!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM
1st Anniversary

Shannon:

Yes, I know what you mean about difficult doctors. My current gyn is wonderful. He's in a practice of probably 10 gyns and of those I can think of only 2 that I would see in his absence. I have objections to all the others. Call me particular, but I like a doctor who listens, cares and is proactive.

RE: the fill-in doctor. Wow, with those standards, how does that doctor help anyone? Medicine is so much about a doctor taking their best guess. You are right to hope for better from your own gyn.

Just in case this helps, I had good days and bad with my adhesions, as well. There are days I felt so good that I would think ... "wow, maybe nothing is wrong with me. Maybe whatever it was is gone" and then whammo ... I'd be in bed for a day.

One tip I can offer since it is off and on.... keep a log of your pain... either on a calendar or in a journal and note when, where and how severe, what makes it better/worse. Then when you see your gyn, she can get a clear picture of what is going on with you.

Best of luck and I hope it's not really August.
Unread 02-03-2004, 09:20 PM
1st Anniversary

Michelle,

What a wonderful idea!!
*going to get a journal to keep track*

Now, I called the gyno's office today .. YEP it is August! But they put me on the list to call if there are any cancellations.

You know Michelle, you are so right about having good days and bad. Sure, I have days where I think "hey its finally gone" but then there are days (like the last 2) where it is just UNREAL!

I will keep you posted.
Thanks again sooooo much!!

Shannon
Unread 02-04-2004, 06:41 AM
1st Anniversary

Hi Shannon

I'm sorry you have to wait until August. That doesn't give me much hope for the referral I'm waiting for. Our medical system has really gotten out of whack.
Last April at my regular check up with my GP she said I had some moles on my back that she is "really concerned" about, and that she felt they should come off. She has been watching them for years, so to finally say this makes me think she really means business. Well, my appt., made last April - this Feb!! I called the derm's office and told them I could die of skin cancer in that amount of time and all the receptionist said was, "I don't think you're going to die of skin cancer". Still, a 10 month wait is PATHETIC!!

Hopefully they will have a cancellation and you will get in sooner. You are not a party pooper - it is a real drag to be in pain for so long.
You are in my prayers.
Shelley
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:26 AM
1st Anniversary

Shelly,

I am not a doctor ... just someone living in a high UV area. Skin cancer is a big concern here. You know what, that receptionist probably no longer works there. But, just in case she does, I think you need to tell the dermatologist what was said to you. She was absolutely 100% out of line.

Not to be an alarmist, but several people close to me have had malignant melanoma - the type of skin cancer that is associated with irregular moles. They are all fine, thanks be to God, because of early intervention. Sounds like your wait is almost over. Let us know how the lab results come back.

I feel like I must say this, although I am sure you know .... DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT ever allow your moles to be just removed. They must be sent to a lab. One of my coworkers cousins died this past year because her GP removed her moles and did not have them tested. She was young and it was a totally preventable tragedy.

When you consider the delays in medical care in Canada, my personal opinion only is that you have them removed regardless of how they look to the derm and have them tested.

Again, I do not mean to be an alarmist ... I am just totally appalled by the health care delays in Canada and this just set me off.

Take care.
Unread 02-04-2004, 10:45 AM
1st Anniversary

Hi Michelle

Thanks for you reply, and no I don't think you are an alarmist. I was appalled too, and did feel it was more serious than it was. My father in law goes to the same derm (I did too, but if you don't go for 2 years you need to get a referral again - for me it had been 2 years and 1 month. As a new patient I'm bumped to the bottom of the list - ie. 10 month wait. If I had still been within that 2 years I would have gotten an appt. in a week or so - stupid, eh?) and he was going to ask her (he has skin cancer and goes regularly) to take me sooner, but his appt. was right around the time of my hyst, so I didn't want to screw that up, or worry about it after, so I decided to stay with the Feb. appt. It's the 23rd, so not too far off. She always does send them to a lab, just to be sure. I've had them removed before, and they have been the type that are more likely to turn cancerous, so hopefully I'm still OK.
Thanks so much for your concern, I really appreciate it.
Shelley

P.S. Sorry Palmer to get off topic on your post.
Unread 02-04-2004, 12:52 PM
1st Anniversary

Shelley,

Actually these delays I seem to be having now are new to me. Last year (Jan 1/03) when I wound up in the hospital doubling over with pain, I was in to see the gyno Jan 6th, off to see the surgeon Jan 21st and surgery was on Jan 31st. Needless to say I was amazed at the speed this was all handled. I have been quite pleased with my care (especially from my GP) up untill now. I guess now though it's because what I am experiencing now isnt a priority type thing. Certainly not like having a 16cm tumor on your ovary and the pain being so bad it was hard to function.

Michelle,
I know they say our health care here is horrid (waiting times and all) but you know, for the most part I try very hard not to complain. I know our systems (US and Canada) are totally different but my DH being American (living up here now) and experiencing the US type system with him, I have to admit hon .. yours scares the crap out of me. Granted, I am lucky in that our basic health care and extended is paid for by my employer, it still is rather frightening to think if I had no insurance I would be paying out of pocket. Even to pay a deductable scares me, which I dont here. But hey, there are pros and cons to every system huh?

s to you both!
Shannon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register