Pelvic Exenteration | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pelvic Exenteration Pelvic Exenteration

Unread 02-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Pelvic Exenteration

Hi ladies

Normally, I'm on the cancer part of this website, because I have been fighting a rare form of vaginal cancer for a year now and it seems that it will be a complicated fight.

Anway, I'm scheduled for a pelvic extenteration within the next month as the chemo and radiation I have had did not work and my dr's feel that this is the only option left for me. I would be very interested in speaking with anyone who has had this type of procedure.

Thanks

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Pelvic Exenteration

Hello, Maria!!

I can tell you are blessed with much stregnth. Keep fighting the good fight, sister. I for your healing.

I wish I had some information about your procedure. I'm sure someone will come along with some insight.
Unread 02-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Pelvic Exenteration

(((Maria))):

If you do a search in CC for ((shepherdpal's)) posts, she and other cancer ladies have had the exenteration, and she'd be able to tell you (via e-mail or PM) all the details, and how it's gone for her.

As far as I know, she is still dancing with NED...I hope this proves to be the answer for you, too. If you search on the term "exenteration" (although not everyone spells it correctly ) you'll find a number of posts on the subject over in Cancer Concerns.

So sorry to hear this news! I was hoping that all the treatment you'd already been through would take care of "things" once and forever ...

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Pelvic Exenteration

Hi Maria,
I am thinking of you!

Sharon
Unread 09-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Pelvic Exenteration

Hi,
I, too, am facing a pelvic exenteration due to a third bout with cervical cancer. However, before they do the surgery, I have to get a PET scan. A CAT scan was clean, but the doctors feel the PET will show more and will indicate whether I can actually have the surgery. The tumor is very small, and is in what is left of vagina.

A radical hysterectomy, radiation and chemo all failed. I understand what you are going through. I have talked to two women who have had the surgery and they seem to be doing fine. But I do not want to live with colostomy bag.

My thoughts are with you. I hope you hear from you soon on this site.

My name is Maria, too (aka metschick)
Unread 09-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Pelvic Exenteration

Hi there!

sorry you're having to go through so much for this! If you take a look at my previous post in this thread, a couple of ladies now have posted over in Cancer Concernsover the years about their experiences.

(((Shepherdpal))) was able to have the colostomy reversed at some point; she still has to have it dilated occasionally, I think, but is doing much better from the sound of it. You could also PM (((MariaCoo))) -- she had complications with her surgery, and I don't know how things are going with her currently. She lives in the Netherlands, so the procedures there have been somewhat different.

I hope your surgery goes as easily as possible, and that reconstruction will be a future option soon!

Audrey
Unread 09-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Pelvic Exenteration

Maria,
I am SO sorry you are living with this recurrence. What a nightmare! Please post your introduction and questions over at Cancer concerns. Several women over there have faced what you are facing.

If you tumor is very small, why must you have such extensive surgery? Have you gotten a second opinion?

I seem to remember one woman saying that Anderson in Houston Texas was the best place for cervical cancer recurrences. If you open a thread over at Cancer Concerns you will get many responses and suggestions.

Best to you,
Janie
Unread 09-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Pelvic Exenteration

Hi Metschick,

I had a partial pelvic exemeration in Aug 2002 for vaginal cancer. My bladder was not removed, but rectum was. I was given a temporary colostomy, which was reversed in June 2003. My cancer is gone, but I will be having a PET scan next month to make sure. I have them every six months.
It is major surgery, but for me very worth it, to get rid of the cancer. I do have bladder and bowel problems from adhesions and hopefully they can be resolved, but if not I will live with them.
I ski, hike, walk my dogs, teach religious ed to teenagers and 4th graders, love being a part of life with my family and friends.
In some ways I am happier than I was before cancer and I don't know why. If you have this surgery please make sure it is done by an ezpert who has done many of them and please don't listen to statistics, or pessimistic Dr's. In November 2002 a Dr told me i had a year to live too. Now this same Dr just says " See you in 6 months". I hope you will be able to have the PET scan soon and then surgery and it gets rid of the cancer for good. Please PM or e-mail ne if you want. I am prayng for you :

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register