Cisplatin for Chemo Treatment? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cisplatin for Chemo Treatment? Cisplatin for Chemo Treatment?

Unread 02-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Cisplatin for Chemo Treatment?

I'm 36 and had a TAh on 1/12 for cervical cancer, with ovaries spared. They found microscopic infection in 1 of 21 lymph nodes they removed, so I have to go through radiation for five weeks with 6 cycles of chemo. I'm scheduled to start in less than 2 weeks.

Has anyone been through Cisplaitin treatment for chemo? If so, I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences. I'm told I won't lose my hair and will likely only suffer from manageable fatigue and nausea. I'm scared and feeling a bit emotionally unpredictable these days. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2004, 07:17 PM

Hi Annie,

I had taxol and carboplatim so unfortunately I do not know the exact reaction to cisplatim. However, I do know that there is no reason to be nausea while on chemo. My oncologist told me from the start, "there are a multitude of drugs out there to ward off nausea".

Good luck to you and knowing that you will not loose your hair is a big plus.

Rosalie
Unread 02-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Rosalie

Thanks Rosalie for your note. Mind me asking what kind of cancer you had? How long were your chemo cycles? And it's great news you didn't have nauseau, did you have other side effects? Could you work or otherwise lead a normal life and go to work?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get this over with and go back to my life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Annie,
I had Cisplatin and radiation for cervical cancer. I did them both at the same time. Every Monday, for 6 weeks, I had cisplatin. They gave me Zofran in the IV before the cisplatin to prevent nausea. They told me that Cisplatin makes everyone nauseous but Zofran is every effective in controlling it. I felt great on Mondays because of the steriods. I had NO problems until the 3rd or 4th week when I did feel some nausea later in the week, 3 or 4 days after chemo. I took Zofran and sometimes compazine and they took care of it. I never came close to vomiting but I did have days when I only wanted bland food. After the last chemo I took a nap but I mostly felt like I always do, with a little less energy. I lost NO hair but it did stop growing for about a month. I didn't need a haircut for a couple of months and I didn't need to shave my legs for a few weeks. Cisplatin really isn't bad. I was terrified but after I completed one I was ok. The nurses are great and I had lots of other patients to talk with. The steroids made me hungry so I brought lots of snacks and bottled water and I went out to dinner every Monday after treatment. Cisplatin is hard on the kidneys so you will need to drink lots of water. I didn't find that to be any problem. While it isn't something I would sign up for, cisplatin really isn't that bad. Let me know if you have more questions.

I hope this helps,
Janie
Unread 02-04-2004, 08:50 AM

Annie,

I have not had chemotherapy, but I found this website that had several stories of women who have had cisplatin plus radiation for cervical and/or vaginal cancer.

http://www.eyesontheprize.org/FAQ/tx/chemo.html

Dorrie
Unread 02-04-2004, 08:25 PM

Hi again Annie,

I had ovarian cancer and I had 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin. It was once every three weeks. I am a teacher and I did work throughout everything.

I used to schedule my treatments for a Thursday. The whole ordeal took about 6 hours so I did have to take off from work once every 3 weeks for them. My bosses were wonderful. I worked on Friday, felt really tried, weak, and bone achy on Saturday and Sunday but by Monday, I was back at work feeling fine.

I was not going to let cancer or chemo get to me. Also, during this whole thing, I planned and hosted a bridal shower for, at the time, my future daughter in law, hosted a rehearsal dinner for the entire bridal party, and then danced with joy at my son's wedding. They are now married a year and a half.

If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to ask away.

Rosalie
Unread 02-04-2004, 11:14 PM

Annie2004
later today will be my final Cisplatin and as the sisters have said it's doable! I took Zofran everyday because I also did the Radiation and Chemo at the same time, I was just given a forced "vacation" from the radiation because my intestines would not "calm" down and I will resume the radiation again hopefully on Monday. If the doctor gives you the compazine and zofran take them and you should be ok I took them orally and also would feel "flu like" on the 3 and 4th days. I never lost hair from the treatments mine got thin from the surgery I believe the general anethesia did it.
Unread 02-05-2004, 10:39 PM

I debated posting to this because,well, nobody likes bad news.
Everybody has a different reaction to the chemo.
I had the cisplatin with etoposide. I was given the usual precautionary fluids and zofran. I had a horrid horrid time of it after the chemo. I must have been the odd person that the anti nausea drugs just did NOT work for at all. My first cycle was 5 very bad days. My 2nd cycle was 8 very bad days. The 3rd cycle we switched to carboplatin and I did it as an inpatient at the hospital. That was 3 not great but better than before days. We tried every anti-nausea drug in the highest doses. Wasn't fun. I stopped (early) with the 3rd chemo. All done.
I have/had a very rare form of ovarian cancer... small cell ovarian cancer with hypercalcemia.
MOST people do very well with the anti-nausea drugs. I don't know what I could possibly have done to prepare myself for the worst but I wish I had known it was possible to be that bad. So I put this message out there for others like me.

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register