Fistula Sisters??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fistula Sisters??? Fistula Sisters???

Unread 02-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Fistula Sisters???

I'm going to have a Supra pubic catheter after surgery. i want to know from someone that has had one how did it feel getting it out ? was it easier to deal with than a foley? just any information ya got i'll take..lol

I read you're post Fluffy about that foley just wanted to know did you're dr. tell you for sure that you would have a foley and not a supra pubic cath?

When i went to see my uro dr. I told him i did not want a foley cath. he said that was fine he will use the supra. the reason i don't want the foley is because it hurt like heck. i wore it for 5 weeks after my hyster.. waiting for this fistula to heal?? Yeah right!!! thanks for listening
Christy

P.S Has anyone heard from Deb? Hope she's ok..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2004, 05:11 AM
Fistula Sisters???

Hi Christy,

I was curious to read that you are only having a supra. I hated the foley (like sitting on a pencil!) and asked the Uro if I could not have one next time, but he said I would have to have supra and foley. I don't know why one Uro would do it one way and another goes a different way. He did say something about wanting to 'train' the bladder right from the word go, to drain in the right direction?

They obviously each have their own preferences. You and I are in exactly the same position: failed vaginal repairs, now waiting on an abdominal repair, correct? My cystoscopy is on the 18th as they still haven't been able to locate it, as it didn't show up on the cystogram or IVP. Initially we thought it would heal naturally but it has gradually increased, now I am hoping he can find it and just make me dry!

Good luck on the 20th! Haven't seen Deb posting , I know she is booked for the 11th. Please, please,please keep us posted as to how your op goes.

Blossom
Unread 02-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Fistula Sisters???

Hi Christy,
I too am having only the supra-pubic after my surgery on the 12th. I was a little concerned when the uro told me this too as I hadn't heard of anyone having just that without the foley. However, it feels better to know that i'm not the only one :-).

I know that sushi had a supra as well as a foley when her repair was done, i think if you search some of her posts you will find out more about it.

I have my pre-op appointment today at 10:30 so I'll be heading down to the hospital soon. If I get any more information that might help I will post it.

hang in there, dryness awaits!

amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2004, 07:14 AM
Fistula Sisters???

You GO Amanda!!!!!!

Let us know how you're pre-op goes today..I'm waiting to hear!!

Not even a week to go, girl!!

Hang in there!! Just think..This is Fri, right..so next week this time, you'll be DRY!!!!!

YEAH!!!
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:24 AM
Fistula Sisters???

hahahaha melinda, next week this time i'll be in a morphine haze pushing that little button whenevr i can and finally getting a whole night's sleep...knock on wood!!
love
amanda
Unread 02-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Fistula Sisters???

AZHoney:
yes, that was one of my specific questions to the dr. was i going to have a SPPC--thank the gods he said NO--he said in all the years he's been doing the surgery, he listened to patients and nurses and decided it did not add significantly to the healing process and was a fear-factor for pts. He is the head of Urology at the Teaching Hospital where i live. He has never had a failed repair, so i am trusting inthat.

honestly---if i had to have the SPPC, i don't know if i could handle it. i mean, i guess i would but i'd be taking Xanax every day for freaking out.

Every dr is diff i guess. My dr and his nurse asured me they would use the smallest cath possible for comfort and effectiveness.
i sure hope so.

big hugs you guys!
Fluffy Lemur
Unread 02-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Fistula Sisters???

Hi, Girls,

I am the old-timer here but I wanted to let azhoney know that a supra is not bad. I ONLY had the supra after the repair. I much preferred it to the foley that I had for 2 months before my repair. It did not hurt at all when it was removed- and I didn't have the horrible bladder spasms that I had with the foley.

You are all in my prayers for successful and uneventful repairs!

Hugs to you all,

Louise
Unread 02-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Fistula Sisters???

Sisters!

The time is getting all the more closer for you!!! My best wishes and prayers go out to you!

I was another foley and suprapubic success story. It was just weird, but did not hurt when they took either one out.

Do a search on supra and see some of my old notes!

Gotta get back to work!

Love to all!
Shannon
Unread 02-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Fistula Sisters???

Ruth
You asked if I had a vaginal repair first. this will be my second abdominal repair. i sure hope this one works. good luck to you on you're cysto.

salamanda111
Good luck at you're pre op visit . glad to know that i'm not going to be the only one with a supra cath.. i just hope it's easier and less painful than the foley for me..

thanks to all of you for sharing you're experiences.
here's to dryer day's
s
Christy
Unread 02-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Fistula Sisters???

Hi Christy,

Sorry, I presumed your first op was vaginal because I hadn't heard of an abdominal one being unsuccessful. I was told that during an abdo repair a layer of fat is pulled down from the abdominal layers and this is stitched in between the bladder and the vagina. This means there can be no contact between the two organs so theoretically the fistula cannot reoccur. Did they do that with you? If not, how was it repaired, do you know? Why would it have been unsuccessful do you think? I know you are going in soon but I hope you get a chance to reply, I am likely to have the abdominal repair so I would really like to know if there is any circumstance under which it may not work.

Thankyou for your help and I am thinking of you and all the February sisters!

Best wishes, Blossom

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register