Should I be concerned?? Help please | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be concerned?? Help please Should I be concerned?? Help please

Unread 02-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Should I be concerned?? Help please

I had my TAH, Omentectomy & Debulking for Ovarian cancer Sept. 19,2003. Since my surgery I have had a very big appetite. Last week I started to feel full all the time with a small appetite. Since my surgery I have had alot of right upper quadrant tenderness along with alot of tenderness around my umbilicus. I did tell my doctor & she was not concerned about the pain. My CA125 from 2 weeks ago was less than 4, it has been below 35 since I started my chemo 5 months ago. I have 4 more chemos to go. I am on Taxotere & Carboplatin. I am rambling sorry. Is this normal or should I call my docotr about the fullness? I had alot of ascites pre-op. They drained off 10,000 cc in 24 hours. Thannk you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2004, 09:38 AM

Bertha,

It is very hard to tell what may be causing your symptoms - and people with cancer do get sick from other things

--many times the steroids given to prep you for chemo can bring on the hungries

--many of us who have had hysts feel various pulling/bloating/vague pain for some while after - especially during the first few months.

So the best thing to do is to call your doctor and tell her you just don't feel right. Might as well do it today so you don't have to deal with all of the on-call business over the weekend.

Dorrie
Unread 02-06-2004, 09:41 AM

Dear Dorrie,
Thank you. I will call her now so I can enjoy the weekend. I guess I just get scared. I really should relax. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2004, 10:01 AM

Dear Bertha,

I agree with DorrieL - do check with your doctor for peace of mind.

I too experienced abdominal tenderness during chemo that concerned me. My doctor examined me and told me not to worry, that chemo slows the healing process, and my insides were still just recovering. It took about six months after my last treatment (I am a year and two months out now) before I started to feel "normal" again. There is still an occasional twinge, but again the doctor says it is not uncommon.

It was explained to me that sometimes the feeling of fullness comes from the fact that the liver is working overtime processing the chemo and other drugs. And of course, the kidneys are working pretty hard too eliminating all the toxins. I'm sure you've been told to drink lots of water.

As for the munchies, it didn't happen to me, though I was warned by the nurses the steroids often do make you hungrier and it is not unusual to gain weight during treatment.

Hope this helps a little. Check back in and let us know how you are doing.

s
Unread 02-06-2004, 10:07 AM

Dear Moonflower,
Thank you. I tried to call my doctor & there was a recording saying there was a emergency at the office. I feel better now after you & Dorrie so wonderfully explained to me about the steroids. I really do need to relax I think. I worry about every little thing anymore. I will call the doctor on monday. Again thank you.
Unread 02-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Bertha said "I worry about every little thing anymore."

Ah yes, Cancerhead, a disease from which we have ALL suffered. Mine tends to come and go but I have had rather lengthy and vicious attacks. I hope you fare better and recovery more quickly!

Hugs, and have a great, relaxing, weekend!
Janie
Unread 02-06-2004, 01:02 PM

Dear Jane,
Thank you for your kind words. I know I will do well. I must say the support here is wonderful. I am glad I found this web site.

Bertha
Unread 02-06-2004, 07:28 PM

Hi Bertha,

Yes, after having cancer and chemo we all really do worry about everything. I also had ovarian cancer and April 18th I will be 2 years post op.

The one thing that I remember my oncologist saying to me is that people who are undergoing chemo for cancer DO GET SICK WITH NORMAL EVERYDAY ILLNESSES AND IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE CANCER IS BACK!!

I do not really remember being bloated but I did gain weight while on the chemo and probably from the steroids. Are you eating gassy foods??? because that could be the cause also.

Check back with us after you consult your doctor on Monday.

Rosalie
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:43 AM

Dear Rosalie,
Thank you for your support. Everything everyone has said has made me feel better. I had a great weekend and I feel much better. I will call my doctor today anyway. This will sound strange to everyone but here goes. I am an RN but when I got sick it was like I also got stupid when it comes to me. I have offered the same info to many women but when it comes to me I forget everything. I thought I was the only one that stressed about everything. It really helps to know that others also do. I wish this disease would just go away and no one else ever had to stress but for the time being it helps to know I am not alone. Thank you all.
Bertha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register