Back from Surgery at Mayo... endo and cysts. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back from Surgery at Mayo... endo and cysts. Back from Surgery at Mayo... endo and cysts.

Unread 02-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Back from Surgery at Mayo... endo and cysts.

(((Sarah))):

So sorry about my delay in writing; I was in a workshop all weekend and never really did have time to come visit.

I am so glad your surgery went well; it sounds like you were able to keep your left ovary? The ovarian remnant was probably emitting hormones too, I'd bet!

Interesting that the endo had infiltrated a muscular wall, sort of like adeno of the pelvic wall Sometimes I wonder if that's not the explanation for the distinct area of pain that I always have had, ever since three weeks post-op. They told me it was a granuloma over the knot for the running suture, but I wonder..

Hope by now you've been able to get rid of that catheter and are feeling better -- and hope those kids of yours understand the rules!

(gently, of course) Here's hoping for a life that feels better and better all the time!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 10:20 AM

Many thanks for all the kinds words and wishes!

I am feeling better each day... but still feel quite out it it despite not taking any percocet for 2 days!!

((Audrey)) how exciting about the writing workshop!! It is curious about the endometriosis he found.... during surgery he thought it was an ovarian remnant but the pathology came back as cystic endometriosis.... so I actually never had the ovarian remnant... just the cystic endometriosis imbedded in the "right retroperitoneal wall". I have done some searching on the cystic endometriosis and in a couple articles there is the suggestion that the deeply infiltrating endo (or cystic endo) may actually be more closely related to adenomyosis... Hopefully he found all there was as I know it has been missed several times by the surgeon here who does alot of endo surgery.

The other thing I thought was interesting is all the endosalpingiosis he found... he found small cysts of it all over (bladder, signoid colon, left pelvic walls, left ovary). This is the lining of the fallopian tube growing where it is not supposed to.... his comment to my DH was that they don't know much about it, that it appears to cause pain in some women and not in others... It probably started after the hyst when they cut the left tube. I think it is interesting that my pelvis seems unable to stop these abnormal growths so I guess it is good I don't have my uterus spilling endo cells per the "retrograde menstruation" theory combined with some immune error in my peritoneal fluid... which is making alot of sense to me right now.

Oh... I am babbling. I get the catheter out today. I think everything will be working.

s

Sarah
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:39 AM

Sarah,

I'm glad things went well. It sounds like it went well, I guess time will tell. I really hope this will be the last surgery for you and put you on the road to being pain free.
That endo - tube thing (too much for me to spell!!) sounds interesting. There's always something new to find out about.
Good luck with your recovery - you're in my prayers.
Shelley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 10:57 AM
So glad to hear you're OK!

I had been told by my surgeon about possible bladder discomfort/problems in the week or so following surgery. I found it extremely painful to urinate for several days, having had a cystoscopy in addition to the PSN; it felt like I was going through ground glass. Also, I didn't feel I could empty my bladder completely - this took several days. So don't worry! Just focus on relaxing and taking good care of yourself. Drinking lots of fluids may sound counterproductive, but it's good to keep things moving. My surgeon also suggested stool softeners/lots of fiber to prevent those problems, too - you don't want to strain after such delicate surgery.

As for pain relief....for me, that took almost 3 months. As you know, mine wasn't 100% - it's somewhere in the 50% area, though the range is 50%-85%, I was told. I'm hoping for at least 85% relief for you and an end to your Road travels!

Sending healing wishes....

Hannah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register