? Re: length of hospital stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? Re: length of hospital stay ? Re: length of hospital stay

Unread 02-07-2004, 09:17 AM
? Re: length of hospital stay

I've been approved for 2 days...surgery is Thursday. 7:30a.m..does this mean I would go home Sat? Or, Friday? There's a light-hearted debate in the family over this. Sister and Sister-in-Law both went home the next evening (i.e. Surgery Tuesday, went home Weds. evening)...both had TAH. Just curious. I'll ask at Monday's pre-op appt...

Thanks for any input!

Rhonda, TAH for cantaloupe-sized fibroid, pelvic adhesions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2004, 09:48 AM

rgreenba,
I had my surgery on Tues and was released to go home on Wed at 5:30, they said that was fine as long as I had someone at home to take care of me. I had TVH/BSO, on 1/27
Unread 02-07-2004, 09:50 AM

I had TAH/BSO and the doctor predicted 3 days. I got a letter from the insurance company after I got home approving 2 days. I ended up staying 4 due to pneumonia and fevers. I haven't gotten anything else from the insurance company but the doctor assured me that there would be no problem with the additional time due to my complications. I think one day would be awfully short and awfully cheap on the part of the insurance company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2004, 10:12 AM

Rhonda,

My guess is that you will be released Friday late in the day (stay 2 nights - like a hotel), but it can be quite variable. I had a TAH/BSO around noon on a Tuesday, and was discharged Wednesday evening - but I had an easy recovery - walked quickly, bladder woke up right away -etc. My mom had the same surgery and was in for 4 nights - she had an infection and fever.

Honestly, your home is more comfortable and you'll rest better there. After the IV is out, and you are peeing on your own there's not too much for the hospital to do anyway.

Dorrie
Unread 02-07-2004, 10:26 AM

I am going in early Monday morningand the doctor said I will come home Wednesday at the earliest. Discharge is at 11am. The resident who did my physical said that Thurs or Fri would be more realistic even though I am young and expected to recover quickly. In order to come home, I have to have good pain control, be walking, eating, and peeing on my own. Then, there is nothing left for them to do for me.
Unread 02-07-2004, 11:46 AM

My surgery was at 8:30 am on Mon and I went home Wed afternoon. My dr said I could stay another day if I wanted but did say the insurance co would probably prefer me only staying till Wed. I was feeling fine although not yet peeing on my own...but they fixed that by showing me how to self cath. It was nice getting home to my own bed.

However, we still don't know if the insurance is even going to pay for anything. Just got a letter yesterday saying they are taking it under consideration. Oh great!

Blessings.
Unread 02-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Length of Hospital Stay

My surgery was on aFriday morning and I was home Monday morning. I guess that just goes to show that everyone is different.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-07-2004, 01:45 PM

I had a TVH on wed and went home early Fri morning. I would have gone home Thursday night except my GYN got stuck in emergency surgery and didn't want to release me to go home at 8:30 at night. Especially considering the temp outside was -2 with wind chills at -25 to -40. I would have preferred to go home because my room mate was going through detox ( why were we in the same room? ) and she was under 24 hour watch so there were people in the room constantly. I couldn't wait for my own bed

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register