Scared about abdominal hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about abdominal hyst Scared about abdominal hyst

Unread 02-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Scared about abdominal hyst

Hi. This is the first time I think I have asked for help in a long time. I am a VERY independant person... sometimes to much so. I am absolutely scared out of my mind to have this surgery. My doc and I have tried everything known to man and nothing has helped, so now it is surgery. I know a lot of women out there have had this done.... do you think you can help me by answering some questions?
1. Is it as bad as I have heard?
2. How long do you have to be out of work?
3. What should I expect?
4. Should I send my two boys somewhere else for thie first week???

See, like I said I am petrified. I do not know what to do or who to ask. If you can help me please do. Thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2004, 04:21 PM

Debi, this is an incredible website. All the answers to your questions can be found either in the pre- and post-op articles or by browsing through the different threads on the message boards. I must say that in the 2 months I have been visiting this site I am totally prepared for what is about to happen in 3 days!

Just breathe, relax, get a cup of tea and start reading! You are going to be fine!
Unread 02-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I am just like you!

terrified, although visist to doctior spent asking questions really helped . She was so positive and " its a piece of cake" attitude.That I left her office totally beleiveing I coulpd do this. I trust her , but occassionally my fear and insecurities creep back, so I come here to get support. I am preparing yrt anotehr list of questions for my pre op which is only a few days before my surgerey! YIKES.I go March 9th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2004, 04:29 PM
BTW

my doc says 6 weeks is fine for abdominal TAH off work, She doubts insurance would cover more.She says I'll be in teh hospital 2 nights and that I should be able to walk upstairs to my bedroom at night ( withhelp) and walk back downstairs in teh maorning. I wa sthinking I'd need weeks of help and bedrest..what a baby I am!
Unread 02-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Right there with ya!

Debi:
I too have been scared but I'm beginning to have peace about my surgery...TAH in one week!!! I think it varies how long you'll be in the hospital. I am packing already and thinking of taking some things to make my stay a little more comfortable: my own pillow from home, a tape player with soothing music, a picture of my family in a small frame, comfortable short gown, etc. I have a son and I'm considering having someone keep him when I get home for a couple of days. You really need your rest and they will probably still demand things of you. Ask your dr. all the questions you can so you'll know exactly what's going on and what to expect and browse this website. I found it a week ago and check it everyday. You'll be fine. I have found peace in trusting God with all of this. Hope you can too. Stay in touch. God bless you!
PS I'm in Australia, 10,000 miles from home. So facing this surgery without my immediate family (except DH) is a little hard for me but I'm doing fine.
Unread 02-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Hi Debi, Valerie, Maven and Julia,

First, let me reassure you all, the waiting is the absolute worst! I am now amazed at the thoughts and fears I had prior to my surgery.

I had a TAH (horizontal incision), and I was prepared for the worst pain of the century - boy was I wrong! I had general anethesia with the "interteckal block" which numbs you from waist down...not an epidural or spinal, but much like it.

When I got to the hospital room (2 nights) I only had toradol in the IV and some benedryl for itching from the interteckal...and I didn't need the morphine pump. Yes, it was hard getting in and out of bed, but the pain wasn't really bad - just uncomfortable. Even home, I only used the vicodin at night (in case I tried to roll over on my tummy) and during the day used Tylenol.

I was out of work 8 weeks - thank goodness I got paid medical leave. I rested much, but was able to get up and walk around, take a shower, etc. without much help. Getting in and out of bed took awhile to figure out. Most are out 6 - 8 weeks, but your doc will know best for you - be sure you keep open communication with him and call if you have ANY questions during your recovery.

As for the boys, maybe another sister with kids that age can jump in with help. I only had my cat to worry about. But if you won't have someone to help them with lunch, etc., you might need to find some help - church, friends, hubby, someone - you will be sleeping off and on, and won't be able to jump up to help them.

I wish you all the best - an uneventful surgery and restful recovery.

You might also check out some of the castle stories and hear how others did at the hospital and once home.

the cat maid
Unread 02-08-2004, 05:12 PM

Hi!!

I was so petrified too!!.. Mine is on Feb. 23. (14 days)!!!!

When I was looking thru this web site.. and the wonderful sisters I found here.. they make me feel better and understand the same questions like you have. The first thing I recomend.. is about your kids (send them to a good friend or relative) even I don't have my TAH yet, but I had before another severals and I know is hard with the kids around for the first days...

I wish you the best. (and for me too ;-) !!..

The best thing is pray or have faith (that also is helping me in these days).. some times I feel so nervous, but I try to be calm for be good with my DD who is 7 and she is nervous too.

God bless you sister!
Read all other post for pre-op and you'll find more answers..
:-)
Unread 02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm with you all in this thread.....

I've been reading every day. Some days I'm at ease, the other days I'm terrified (had a little cry about it today). I'm not sure what I'm more afraid of. The pre-cancerous cells being worse than expected, or the numerous incisions inside, and then the long on on the outside.

I'm more at ease about the stairs, and the pain levels (although I've been told my threshold of pain is very strong with having FM. IBS and OA.)

I'll keep you all in my prayers and hope we call get thru this okay.

Unread 02-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Re: Scared about abdominal hyst

Quote:
Originally posted by debimerick
1. Is it as bad as I have heard?
2. How long do you have to be out of work?
3. What should I expect?
4. Should I send my two boys somewhere else for thie first week???
Hi Deb! Had TAH on 1-12. I am three 1/2 weeks post.
1. I think the operative question here is What Have You Heard?! It is not bad. Not at all.
2. It seems to be the norm to have six weeks off. Many women post that they feel ready to go back at 4 weeks.
3. Expect to be tired and sore. Glad and Sad. Nothing a woman can't handle--that's why we're given the goods! Get food prepared ahead of time, and plan on making peace with the dust bunnies that you'll befriend over the first two weeks.
4. I have three little ones. It would have been hard the first few days to take care of them. It IS do-able, but hard. I was told no stairs for one week. No driving for two, so check that with your dr. If you have the option to have someone watch them for a week, take it! You'll only heal faster if you are responsible for yourself!

Good luck. Search around this site; it is full of invaluable information. Thank heavens for it!
Unread 02-08-2004, 07:38 PM
scard

We all heal at different schedules, but you will be a little sore and have that numbness feeling for awhile. I'm almost as 6 weeks, have been back to work for 3 and still have that little overhang and numbness by the incision, no big deal. I just can't wait for that to be gone, dr. said it would go away, just takes time.

I did take it very easy for 3 weeks, but by the end of that time, I was doing all my usual housework and shopping, so I was ready to start back to work after only 3 weeks, others need a few weeks more, your body will let you know what you can and can't do and listen to what the dr. has to say too.

I really expected this whole operation to be a lot worse than it actually was, didn't care for staying in the hospital, but spent 2 nights there, was supposed to be 3, but dr. knew I was Ok and could go home.

I'm sure once its over, you'll feel a lot better, a little tender and sore, but better, the waiting is the worst part of the whole deal.

Good luck and let us know how you feel when you get home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register