Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-) Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-)

Unread 02-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-)

Hello everyone! Two things:

First, I met a nice girl in the young adults cancer support group that I go to . . . and she called me earlier this week with two extra tickets . . . so my best friend and I got to go to the Grammys earlier tonight! It was so exciting! Prince did a surprise performance, and Madonna was there, and all sorts of interesting people -- like Christina Aguilera, Celine Dion, Alicia Keys, Earth Wind & Fire, the Foo Fighters, Outkast, Justin Timberlake and Beyonce -- played.

Since I'm not often in a room with Prince and Madonna, I just had to tell you all about it. :-)

Second, I went to a "nutrition strategies for cancer treatment and prevention" seminar today and there were a few points of interest that I wanted to pass along.

-- Any kind of exercise stimulates the lymph system and helps circulation in the lymph system (which carries waste from cells). Walking is fine. Not exercising is bad.

-- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, etc., contain sulfur compounds that detoxify the liver. Toxins that accumulate in the liver interfere with the body's ability to fight off disease, and many people believe that this accumulation of toxins in the liver (the body's filter) creates an environment where cancer can grow.

-- Water between meals cleanses the body and helps to eliminate waste.

-- A number of cancer researches believe that systemic enzymes between meals can help the body regain proper function.

-- Enemies of the immune system are poor diet, vitamin/mineral deficiency, fat, sugar, cholesterol, alcohol, red meat (nitrates) and sodium.

-- Selenium is proving to be very helpful in fighting cancer. Interestingly, South Dakota, which has a very high level of selenium in its soil, has a very low rate of cancer. Maitake mushroom with D fraction also continues to be helpful during and after chemotherapy.

-- Nitrates, such as those found in hot dogs, salami, processed meats, smoked meats, etc., have recently been linked to some childhood leukemias. They also convert to carcinogens in an adult body and should be avoided.

-- A recent study noted that of the people interviewed who had spontaneous remissions, 87% made dietary changes and 55% took supplements.

-- Chlorine is bad. We get more chlorine in a hot shower than we do from tap water. The heat steams things up and makes us breath it in. A water filter is recommended for the shower.

-- Plastics leech out into food and should be avoided, as they can mimic hormones. It is preferably for those with cancer to drink water out of glass and use glass to store food in the fridge. Plastics should not be used at all in microwaves.

-- Coffee increases stress hormones. In a cancer program, coffee is not included.

-- 40-50% of cancers occur in overweight individuals. Being overweight produces more estrogen in the body, which can contribute to women's cancers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Interesting points

Firstly - the Grammys - Wow!

Re the diet:

I accept all these points but then I hear about someone (actually 4 women in their 30's and 40's) who are not overweight, eat well, dont smoke, dont drink too much alcohol and then they get breast cancer?.

Then I see overweight people who dont exercise, drink too much red, eat heaps of red meat, and they dont?

Sure there is a link but I just dont think it is just a matter of what you eat, and that link is what is missing in the research.
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:28 AM

Aussie, I know it is all so complex, but I am going on the dietary notion also. Cancer in my family other than thru smoke or sun never seemed to exist in my family until my mother and I.. and we both had awful coffee habits. Later I found out that coffee raises estradiol levels. Of course it is all tough to say for sure.

SirenSong.. fabulous listing.. and I am trying to follow the principles you listed.
Couple of add-ins:

..Nitrates - if eaten (though I would avoid it), it is said that taking Vitamin C around the same time helps to counteract harmful effects

..antioxidants/certain vitamins - there is a school of thought that some of these can actually deter cancer recovery by preventing apoptosis, the timely death of cells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 08:01 AM

Hi.

This is all so interesting, and in some cases a re-confirmation of what I've heard in bits & pieces, here & there, regarding what to eat/not eat for disease prevention, esp cancer.

Thanks!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Well Siren..

If I'd known you were at the Grammys I would have watched. Who knows, maybe a camera would have picked you out for a moment! I think I would have recognized you. Sounds like you had fun.

The dietary suggestions are right in line with what I've been doing along with TCM herbal medicine. The selenium is something I have just started reading about - it seems quite promising, especially regarding ovarian cancer, so I must learn more.

The debate continues about healthy eating helping fight cancer, and frankly my doctors are skeptical. But, I figure at the very least I am keeping my heart healthy. As we are often reminded, cancer doesn't exempt us from other health issues.

A couple of fun non-dietary things I'm doing to help eliminate toxins:

At least once a week, a hot epsom salt bath. It helps draw the toxins from the body. I usually put a few drops of lavender or orange essential oils in as well. It was suggested I try this by the friend of a friend whose father is a doctor. She was diagnosed three years ago with stage 3 OVCA. He told her if she did nothing else, do epsom salt baths.

I have also revived a practice I learned years ago - daily body brushing. It stimulates blood and lymph circulation as well as exfoliating the skin (it doesn't replace exercise though).

You can use a natural bristle brush or loofa. The key is to brush vigorously, but not so hard that you take your skin off! Start at the feet using long strokes brushing up the legs and thighs toward the groin. Circular movements over the tummy, then hands, arms, back and across the shoulders. Gently stroke downward on the neck, throat and chest. That's all there is to it. It feels wonderful and you tingle and glow all over. You can do this either before or after a bath. I find after a bath works for me because it helps if the skin is slightly damp.

Here's to good health and occasional chocolate!
Unread 02-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Nutrition

The Grammys! Yay for you Sirensong!

Am reading this book - The Complete Book of Chinese Health & Healing by Daniel Reid. He explains about many things including the importance of Selenium. He also encourages skin brushing for the lymphatic system.

Aussieone - I believe I got my cancer more from stress than from food - another thing about food, it is not what you eat, but what you can absorb. I believe my digestion system had been abused thoughout my entire life - I allow myself to eat too much at one meal, I allow myself to develop gastric problems because I was working late. I thought food is what fills your stomach. I have no idea about nutrition. Many a time I didn't drink enough water. And when I do, it is a coke. I ate too many white flour products and definitely not enough vegetables or fruits. I had many warnings - mood swings, depression, insomnia, catching the flu monthly, mouth ulcers - My mouth ulcers went away when I started to supplement with B6. I read about that in a book. I noticed that I felt very well during my pregnancy with my first child - it was only years later that I realised that was because my gynae gave me a mulit-vitamin - my mother told me to take Vit. C for the flus, and they helped. But it did not enter my tiny brain to continue with them. So I know for a fact that Vitamins made a difference to my health. It took cancer to wake me up and now I am a changed person. I feel healthier now than I have ever been. Besides changing my diet, I walk regularly on my treadmill and lost 5 lbs in 2 years - not much, but what a difference it made to my waistline. I pratice Qigong, self-massage - body, palms and foot. I try to breathe deeply for a couple of mins. everyday. I will get around to skin-brushing one of these days.

When I was first diaganosed in May 2001 with Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer, I can only think of pain and death. Now I a lot more optimistic. While I can't say I am out of the woods, I can honestly say I am very grateful for what I have right now.

Jochan
Unread 02-09-2004, 08:18 PM

Thanks Siren,

This was all very interesting and I do believe in the exercising part.

Chance...We must have seen the same nutritionist. I was also told to eat something that contains Vitamin C after eating any kind of nitrates or smoked foods, even smoked turkey.
I also saw that you live in NY..What part?? I am from Long Island.

Rosalie
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:33 PM

Sirensong,
Thank you for the information! It is good to have this list to follow. I wondered if you have ever read or heard of aloe vera juice and if it is beneficial?
RE: The Grammy's: I told my husband "Sirensong got to go to The Grammy's" . He didn't say "Who?" He just knew, and said "Really?" like it was a person we both knew! I learn so much here.
Thanks moonflower for your tip on body brushing. Interesting!!

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 02-09-2004, 10:04 PM

Jochan -- what else does the Daniel Reid book say? Please share highlights! :-)

I looked so fab at the Grammys! I wore a kelly green velvet coat over a black dress. The green was the same color worn by Snoop Dog and Outkast during the last number of the night. Funny, since I'm so, well, non, uh, african-american. :-) Of course I got a blister from my stupid fancy shoes.

I'm fascinated by the coffee/estradiol thing. My daily cup of water-process "buzz-free" decaf is one of the true joys in my day. I've given up dairy, alcohol and red meat. I barely eat sugar. And I barely eat fowl. So . . . I want that darn cup of decaf. Alas! Maybe it is not the best. I will talk to my nutritionist about it. I seem to remember asking her, and she said one cup is OK as long as it is water-process decaf. But . . . didn't know about the estradiol thing. Maybe she knows.

I definitely do have to try the lymph brushing. My masseuse, whose mother died of ovarian cancer, has been telling me to do that for a while. And Jochan has been telling me to do Qigong. So maybe I will get off my butt and do both. And an epsom salt bath sounds good to me, too! :-) I took a lot of baths during chemo, but not since.

Rhonda -- that is hilarious that your husband knows who I am! My mom knows who a lot of you are, too. I say Karen, and she says, "Do you mean Karenann?" ;-)

The nutritionist I saw also mentioned the Vitamin C thing with respect to the nitrates thing. I couldn't read what I wrote when he said that, but now I remember. So that's a good thing to keep in mind. I'm just avoiding smoked meats. But some of the things he said made me think long and hard about my diet prior to diagnosis: lots of good cheese, salami, good wine, cheesy Mexican food with margaritas, etc. I love salads -- always have -- but I chose the high-fat ones, e.g., chef salad or cobb salad, neither of which are high in nutrition. So . . . like Jochan and others here, I wonder if some of that contributed. Also, I do believe stress contributed. Work stress. Bad relationship. Job nightmare. Etc.

In any case, I'm working hard to reprogram my body, and I think that giving it proper nutrition AND supplements that will help it more effectively process that nutrition has to help. Like Jochan, I am healthier now than I was before.

Funny aside: I had chemo today, but I forgot to take my pre-meds and my nurse forgot to ask (which she never forgets to do). Anyway, I feel quite a bit better without the steroids and anti-nausea meds. I'm not nauseated, bloated or starving. I'm going to ask my doctor if I can avoid them altogether, or at least reduce the doses.
Unread 02-11-2004, 05:54 AM

Rosalie,
Yes, I'm on Long Island too : ) Moving to Florida next week though. Haven't seen a nutritionist.. found the info on the internet.

SirenSong,
It is said that the decaf coffee will still cause estradiol elevation, though not as much as caffeinated. One cup doesnt sound like it would do too much harm. As far as buzzes go, I have read that green tea can act synergistically to enhance the properties of chemo. Green tea can sometimes be found decaf. Milk should not be added to green tea to gain it's beneficial effect.

I used to drink decaf too, but now I've switched to Roma coffee substitute. It is similar to Postum, but I like it better. It is a little tough to find. Also, when I do drink my now-watered-down coffee, I use vanilla soy milk w/it it.. I have a theory that the soy estrogens will do a good battle w/the coffee estrogens.. me and my funny theories : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register