Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-) Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-)

Unread 02-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Nutrition Info for Cancer Treatment & Prevention and My Fun Evening! :-)

Yep -- I put soy in my decaf. Now I can visualize that battle! I will ask my nutritionist about the estradiol elevation. You guys are probably right, which will make me so cranky. I tried the cereal beverages and didn't care for them.

I do drink decaf green tea every day (without any soy milk -- just plain) and also take green tea capsules. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2004, 08:32 PM

Thanks for sharing all the great nutrition info.!! I am trying to change all those lifelong bad nutrition habits. I can't seem to kick the diet coke habit. Wonder what that is doing to my body?
A trip to the Grammy awards is something to talk and talk and talk about. Was Brad and Jenifer there, and is he that great in person?
Unread 02-12-2004, 05:36 PM

No Brad or Jennifer, but Matthew Perry was there. I think Madonna and Guy Ritchie were the resident "it" couple. :-)

Diet Coke is awful. Please switch to water. My dad, who is a doctor, used to help patients recover from all sorts of persistent conditions, such as paralyzing arthritis and other ailments, just by removing dairy, wheat and things like Coke or Pepsi from the patients' diet.

I had a boyfriend once who had painful bursitis in his shoulder blade (he was a musician, so his instrument exacerbated the situation). My dad told him to cut out the Coke, which he drank like a fiend. But he absolutely hated water, so he just endured the pain. He was so anti-water that he would go to a liquor store in the middle of the night if he was thirsty -- just to get a Coke. So dumb.

If you quit Diet Coke, you will also rid your body of Aspartame, which really isn't that good for you. Too much of it can cause headaches and, in extreme cases, seizures. I'm sure you will suffer through headaches when you quit, just like I did when I quit caffeinated coffee. But once you get past that initial withdrawal, you will feel better.

I haven't had decaf coffee in two days. So sad. Maybe I will have to relegate it to "treat" status. It is such a joy every morning! Sigh. See? I freak you out, but you guys can all freak me out, too! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM
My doctor is a diet convert!

I went in for my three month check up today, and miracle of miracles, my doctor is taking nutrition classes, was all enthusiastic and has made changes to her own diet. Score! I have been telling her for months about my dietary adventures, and she would listen, but was skeptical.

I asked her what the diet was like, and it is what we've all been hearing over and over: no wheat, no dairy, no refined sugar, lots of veggies, very little meat, watch caffeine and alcohol. However, there is a twist: this nutritionist's theory is that people eat too much, so she advocates weighing food before eating to make sure it is the right portion.

I just got such a kick from the doctor, she did go on. Finally I said, hey, you're preaching to the choir here. She told me she takes her little scales when she goes to the hospital cafeteria for lunch and weighs everything before she eats. She said is shocking how much sunflower seeds weigh, LOL. She is going to try to get me a copy of the weight rules for food portions, though frankly I don't know if I'll go that far - I mean, there is a point where one can get a little neurotic, but who knows. Never say never.

At any rate, I am thrilled she has become interested in nutrition and is encouraging me to continue.
Unread 02-13-2004, 12:09 PM

It's such great news that your doctor is looking into nutrition! Ask any doctor: They get about three hours worth of nutrition info during medical school. And that's probably more geared toward what the body cannot do without.

I really think there's a lot to it.

And the portion control thing is also something good to remember. I do tend to eat big portions. Instead of three pieces of broccoli, I will steam and entire pan and eat most of it. Or have a HUGE salad, which is generally HUGE. Just one more thing I have to work on, I guess.

PS -- I'll respond to your PM soon. It was so long that I want to have time to respond properly.

:-)
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:07 PM

I am sure that I am going to get alot of flack from this one but here goes......

Of all the diets, all of my doctors agree that the Weight Watchers one is the most well balanced of all.

Do I agree with alot of the ideas posted here, not really but that is just my own theory.

The last time I saw my gynocologist/oncologist I did question him about foods, supplements, herbs, cleansing out of the body, and lots of stuff like that that is posted here. I wanted to make sure that I was not selling myself short by not doing all the things many of you talk about. His response to me was, "do you really think that any of these people are any healthier than you are"? When I told him NO, he said , there is your answer.

I asked my oncologist the same question and basically got the same answer.

I am lucky and have always been a basically healthy person until the cancer hit. I did not really have a hard time with chemo and never stopped working, going to the gym, and living my normal life. Was it hard? sometimes but I was not going to give in.

So as my life stands now, I very much watch what I eat, basically follow the Weight Watchers diet and exercise on a regular basis. In April I will be 2 years post op, stage 3 ovarian cancer, and am doing great.

Sorry this is soo long but I just had to vent a little.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone and enjoy that big chocolate heart!!

Rosalie
Unread 02-13-2004, 04:17 PM

Hi, Rosalie!

You're not going to get any flak. Don't worry! There are a lot of opinions. I'm just sharing one. Everyone has to do what they feel is best for them. I do think Weight Watchers is a good plan, particularly because it stresses a low-fat, small-portion eating plan. You can eat a ton of vegetables and still keep within your points, but if you eat cake, then you lose a ton of points. So its system is probably quite good.

I guess the one thing I would say that Weight Watchers packaged food is extremely high in sodium, so that is something to watch. But other than that, it sounds like you're doing great. The exercise is super important! And you should be happy and proud that you're two years out and healthy! That is a major accomplishment!

Please don't feel that because some of us are doing one thing that that is necessarily the right thing for everyone. Or that you're doing anything wrong.

One of my oncologists poo-poos diet and supplements. Another one, who is more experienced, is a big fan of diet changes and supplements and herbs. So it all depends on who you talk to, and what their particular base of knowledge is. I've always been of a "knowledge is power" philosophy, and I believe four heads are better than one, and 40 heads are better than four. So I'm willing to seek out and listen to as many qualified opinions as I can find. :-) My father is a doctor, and he is a strong believer that doctors just do not know everything.

Have a great weekend! s!
Unread 02-13-2004, 05:18 PM
No flak from me either!

I truly respect your opinion Rosalie. I believe that each of us knows intuitively what we need to do, and should choose the path that best suits us. Trust me, there are times I want to chuck the diet and supplements and go for a pizza and beer!

I have read that Weight Watchers offers nutritionally sound advice, so by all means go for it. And you regularly exercise, which is more than I can claim. I am sort of on-again off-again. The fact that you are doing so well is great inspiration to all of us.

I recently saw one of my favorite ***** Allen movies, "Sleeper" which takes place in the future. There is a scene where the doctors and scientists are discussing what people thought was healthy eating years before. One character says, "can you believe they used to think that smoking and hot fudge sundaes were bad for you?" It always makes me laugh no matter how many times I hear it. Who knows, maybe the joke is on us......

To your continued good health Rosalie! s
Unread 02-14-2004, 02:51 PM

I just want to say to you women dealing with cancer that I'm so happy that you have a place to come to for support and advice. My aunt was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 42 years of age. She was a marathon runner and was strict about her diet, avoiding sugars and the SAD (standard american diet). After chemo treatments, she continued to watch her diet and worked out 1 1/2 HOURS each day even when she was very tired. Fourteen years later at 56 the cancer came back in the same place even though her ovary was removed. She died shortly after.

Her mother is still living and is 88. Grandma smoked cigarettes from the age of 14 until she was 65 and eats meat every day. It is obvious that there was remant left of the ovary, but I just want you all to get checked frequently. I think eating healthy is the best thing you can do for yourselves, but PLEASE dont rely on this as the answer. Each person is different, but I just wanted to share with you a womans life that was devoted to hour long exercise during lunch time and healthy eating.

Peace be with you!

Cheryl
Unread 02-14-2004, 04:12 PM

Hi Krinkels,
Thank you for your input and concern. I am sorry about your aunt. I don't think any of us here look to diet and exercise alone as the answer. It is just an important piece of the big picture that is seldom included by the medical community.

I have been involved with alternative medicine in one form or another for many years. I was eating quite healthy and exercising regularly when I received the cancer diagnosis. I had plenty of doubts at the time. I had been doing everything right, it wasn't supposed to happen, but it did.

For a while I thought, to hell with eating healthy, I'm going to enjoy myself. However, after surgery, and especially after the chemotherapy, I suffered from digestive problems, mostly nausea and inability to tolerate many foods. My doctors didn't offer me much help, just told me to take antiacids. It was only when my acupuncturist brought me back to healthy eating that I began to feel better again.

I began to read and research. People, both men and women, are being diagnosed with cancer at much earlier ages than even just 30 years ago. Breast cancer has become epidemic, heart disease the number one killer. I believe that food does play a part in this - dairy products and meat are full of antibiotics and steroids, snacks, desserts and fast foods are loaded with unrefined white sugar and hydrogenated oils. Many fruit juices, which are supposed to be good for you, contain high fructose corn syrup. Unless we buy organic, fruits and vegetables retain pesticide residue. As if that isn't bad enough, most of the population consumes vast quantities of junk food.

I know there is no guarantee the cancer won't return, but then, I could just as easily be hit by a bus. In the meantime, I continue my three month checkups, mostly eat healthy, sometimes fall off the wagon, sneak chocolate, nourish my soul, love and laugh alot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register