Is this over the top? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this over the top? Is this over the top?

Unread 02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Is this over the top?

Hello Ladies,

I have had an IUD, for many years. Twice the gyno tried taking it out in his office and the two strings broke off. Now it is causing me problems. To make a long story short: I started lightly spotting….went for an ultra sound…….uterus lining has thickened…..IUD may be embedded. My gyno was very surprised, because he has been doing ultrasounds biannually for a few years. He says he is 80-90% sure I don’t have cancer.

Gyno now wants to do a D & C to remove IUD and biopsy. If there is difficulty removing IUD, he will do a hysterectomy. A gyno surgeon will be present.

I am not comfortable with this. I have an appt with Sloane Kettering for a consult. I would be much more comfortable if they did the D and C knowing that cancer may be involved. In my heart, I don’t feel you can be too careful with your health, but is this over the top??...for an IUD removal and biopsy?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thank you,

walkteach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Is this over the top?

Welcome to Cancer Concerns !

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. I think you have already made a choice of sorts by saying that you are not comfortable with this. If you are not comfortable, then absolutely get a second opinion. Get a third opinion if that helps. Gyn/oncs are the experts when it comes to female cancers, so I don't think it's unreasonable to want to see one if you have a possible cancer. However, many women do have their biopsies done by their gyn, and then if the biopsy comes back showing cancer, then they go to the gyn/onc. It depends on your comfort level. It's your health, your life, so do what you are comfortable with.

Is your gyn suggesting that if the IUD does not come out at the time of the D&C that he would automatically go to a TVH right then on the spot? Or is he suggesting that if the IUD doesn't come out that he will schedule one for later? If there's any possibility of cancer (and you won't know for sure until the pathology comes back), and if you need to have a TVH without knowing for sure what your cancer status is, then it is preferable to have a gyn/onc do the surgery.

Good luck! Please let us know what you find out.

Unread 02-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Is this over the top?

Hi, Walkteach.

I wish I had something to contribute, but I don't know the first thing about your situation or what the best possible fix might be. Please be sure to research all your options and the make the best decision for you. Making the decision is the hardest part. Anyone here who has been faced with a treatment choice has had to deal with a ton of stress while making that decision. :-)

s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register