anemia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-10-2004, 08:52 AM
anemia

Hi Ladies-

I had my pre-op physical yesterday and found out my hemoglobin is lower than my usual 10.0. My doctor wanted to postpone surgery(TAH with bladder repair) but I begged. I just can't gear up for this one more time. My TAH is to deal with heavy bleeding so I am usually anemic. I am told I will be transfused after surgery. Has anyone else been transfused? It's just one more worry.

God bless you all for your support-

Lyndy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2004, 09:18 AM
anemia

Oh dear, you must be so ready to quit bleeding and get that blood count up! I was not transfused but I certainly relate to all the problems of anemia. Transfusion does introduce new variables and risks but you have to weigh everything when you make a big decision like this. I know I HAD TO STOP BLEEDING to get my blood count up and I am starting to feel really good, finally.

Big s to you and we will be with you in spirit as you progress along whatever path you choose.

Nisima
Unread 02-10-2004, 09:36 AM
anemia

I know exactly what you are going through. I am also anemic. My hemo 3 weeks ago was 7.9 and the Dr. was suggesting that we'd have to put off the surgery. She said take the iron pills and we'll check it again in a few weeks. Well, I couldn't wait to know if it was going to be postponed or not - I had everything scheduled with work and a costmetic surgeon (having a tt also.) So, finally my dh had enough and went to to talk to the Dr. She admitted she should have been more on top of my anemia - never checked it until my GP did - even though I was bleeding so badly. So, she agreed to do it on schedule and do a transfusion ONLY if necessary. I had my blood work done last week and it went up to 8.7. I figure by next Wednesday, it will be around 9. I am eating meat, veggies, cooking in iron pans - anything (with the exception of eating liver) to move it up. I need to be done with this too!

I tried to have my family direct donate blood - just so I'd feel better, but it didn't work out. Did they put you on iron pills?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Directed Donation

My hemoglobin number was a 7 when I had my surgery. Like you, I was in a loop - didn't want to postpone surgery because I was anemic, because I was having surgery because I was anemic!

My DR wanted me to donate my own blood, but I had already gotten too anemic. However, you can request that blood from family and friends be used. If you have enough time, you can even have blood from someone in another city collected at their Red Cross and sent to your local hospital.

The charge for it was on my hospital bill and it looked like it was paid for by insurance, but you should check - it was around $70 for each unit.

Took some of the worry out of possible transfusions.

Also, best news was even with such low hemo, I didn't bleed enough to require the transfusion, so maybe you won't either.

Here's hoping you feel as good as I did when I got built back up! All the anemia symptoms really sneak up on you, and the iron supplements didn't really keep me at a healthy level.
Unread 02-10-2004, 11:03 AM
anemia

I also was very anemic, not sure of my numbers before surgery, but they had blood ordered and ready in case I needed it. I had been bleeding heavy for 5 weeks and nothing would control the bleeding so because of the bleeding and a large fibroid it was decided that I should have a tah, verticle cut. After surgery I was told that I lost a lot of blood but didn't need a transfusion, but after 3 days in the hospital I started getting really bad headaches and was told my hematacrit had gone down to 18 and I needed a transfusion.
So far all is well. I worry, but I know that blood is tested quite extensively. I feel so much better now even though at last count my hematacrit was still low at 27.
The transfusion took 4 hours, and wasn't bad to go through. I had been taking iron pills before going in the hospital and after surgery I have had to take them twice a day.
Unread 02-10-2004, 12:55 PM
anemia

I know how you feel.I am having an AH because of my anemia.My hemagloben is 7 he didnt say anything about getting a transfusion but Ive already had 2 because of this problem.My sugery is 2-12..Good luck!!
Unread 02-10-2004, 02:12 PM
anemia

I've had a transfusion, not a problem. I was just surprised it took about 2 hours for 1 unit of blood to be introduced into your body. I had 2 units before my gall bladder could be removed a little over a year ago.
Unread 02-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Anemia

Hello to all I am planning on going in and having a total hysterectomy next Wednesday. I have been told that if my count is not above 10. That I will definetely need to be put in the hospital the night before for a transfusion??? Is this normal??? I have been bleeding so many years I have stayed in bed forever, until and am looking forward to and end to all this.. Am I crazy????
Unread 02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
anemia

I think most of us who have history of bleeding a lot are anemic. I certainly am but not as bad as some of them. I was at 9.4 and told that 7 was grounds for transfusion. I was told to take two iron tablets a day and see if I could lesson my chances of a transfusion. There are some mild side effects to a transfusion that may happen. My surgical booklet from the hospital says, "Chills, fevers, headaches, rash, hives are the most common reactions. These symptoms are caused by the body's immune response to transfused blood. " It says nothing about how long it takes. It also states that sometimes these symptoms can be quite severe. I went for my preop blood testing yesterday and hope that I avoid a transfusion. I was told not to be surprised if I had one even if I was at a 10. Just my experience.

mesascribe
Unread 02-10-2004, 09:51 PM
anemia

The night before my SAH I had to receive 2 units due to a very low count. I was real nervous about it. The nurse explained that if I was going to have a reaction to the blood it usually happens within the first 15 min. of receiving. The most common bad reaction is itchyness, along with the others previously posted. I had no reaction. The nurse explained that if I had a reaction they had things they could give me to stop it. The first 15-30 minutes they checked on me regularly. Afterwards I had the surgery and I'm now 9 weeks post-op and feeling very good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register