I'm home--it's cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm home--it's cancer I'm home--it's cancer

Unread 02-10-2004, 01:22 PM
cancer

Hi to all. My surgery was one week ago. I am home now. I did have ovarian cancer! I was shocked! I am also soooo fortunate and blessed, it was all contained in the cyst and they did tons of biopsies. My nodes were all normal and clear and all biopsies were clear. My GYN and my oncologist were very happy with my prognosis.

I will see oncologist in 2 weeks. He said he wanted to study the patholgy and talk to the pathologist who looked at the cells, and we will determine what treatment to do. He may do nothing, or some minor chemo or radiation. The doc who assited was cancer spec in my GYN's group. He talked to me twice and said he did the staging and was very pleased with how my innards looked.

I had not read up on ovarian cancer too much before, but have since, and, boy, am I lucky we caught it in time. I guess I am lucky the cyst grew enough for me to notice something was up, because the symptoms before were so vague. However, it also sounds like, by the time they get so large, it has advanced to stage 3-4 and spread. It has really taught me a lesson, to listen to my body, and ANY symptom, however minor, could be a loud warning in disguise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2004, 01:32 PM
I'm home--it's cancer

Sandy,

Wow! Way to go! So glad that you did listen to your body and act on it! Your diagnosis/prognosis certainly sounds good. What a blessing that you pursued this!

Take your time recuperating, and continue to listen to your body. It's amazing--your body will tell you when it's time to go back to normal stuff. So stock up on some novels (or motorcycle magazines since your profile says that you like Harleys!), drink lots of water, and be a princess!

Looking forward to hearing more about your recuperation.

Blessings!
Marlene
Unread 02-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Hi

We had exactly the same symptoms and, if im reading it right, exactly the same staging and diagnosis, stage 1a grade 1. Hope you are recovering well and let us know how you get on with the oncologist. Im now one year post op.

take care

Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm home--it's cancer

Hi, Sandy.

Well, I'm sorry it was cancer, but it sounds like you definitely caught it in the early stages! That is wonderful news! Please let us know what treatment is recommended.

And I echo your sentiments: listen to those vague symptoms. I did not, and thus gave my cancer a chance to spread. I am now working valiantly to reprogram my body into a cancer-free, cancer-can't-grow-here zone!

s!
Unread 02-10-2004, 03:06 PM
cancer -thanks

Thanks all for your support. I am also interested in researching what I can do to help my body stay cancer-free. Having both breast and now ovarian is making me wonder about genetics and or the tamoxifen I was on for the b cancer. Any leads re:nutrition, homeopathy, herbs, anything is welcome. Thanks again ladies, and God bless you all and my best to all of you and your recoveries. Will keep you up with my treatment plans.

Sandy
Unread 02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm home--it's cancer

Check out the other current thread on the board. Moonflower and I both recently posted a lot of info in response to Bertha's query about nutrition and ovarian cancer. Also, if you search on SirenSong and Moonflower, you'll find a lot of info.
Unread 02-10-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm home--it's cancer

So glad to hear that it's early cancer. It still rattles you but it's great to know that you have an excellent prognosis.
Unread 02-11-2004, 09:49 AM
hope it's stage 1.

It's good they're checking the pathology and may do followup. I hope it's not needed, but if they recommend it, do it.
Unread 02-11-2004, 10:26 AM
You are so right!

You are so right! I went through several doctors with my "vague" (as they called them) complaints, the biopsy the nicest Ob/Gyn did said it was benign.... I still pursued it. I kept feeling severe pain in my left side where my ovary was supposed to be, my periods were constant and heavy, and I had horrendous intestinal pain (I was hospitalized twice - "inconclusive" the first time- the second time they thought I had diverticulitis) on the left side. Finally (over a year after the biopsy) I found a surgeon who authorized a partial hysterectomy for adenomyosis and endo.- but they found Ovarian 1B Cancer in both ovaries so they pulled everything. They also found lots of endo. material on that left side. It took me in total 3 years and several doctors to find one to help me. I have told my daughters to listen to their bodies. They are young adults now (in college). Its terrible how these supposed wonderful doctors will ignore you if the tests don't give a clear answer. I feel fine down there now. We need to all let young women - girls out there know that they need to listen to their bodies. I am glad you caught yours early as well.
Unread 02-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm home--it's cancer

Dear Sandy,
Your story parallels mine in a lot of ways. I had aTAH/BSO on 1-19 because of a 12cm complex cyst shown on u/s. My CA-125 was 15, and my gyn/onc thought it was most likely a benign cyst.
It wasn't. It was a 1-C ovarian cancer, but all the other pathology was negative. The malignancy was contained in a fluid- filled cyst which leaked during removal, hence the 1-C. The only symptoms I had were the swelling caused by the large cyst and a bit of indigestion, which was nothing unusual for me. My regular gyn told me in late Nov. at my annual exam that my fibroids had gotten a little bigger, and to come back in three months. GRRRRR! I went back in a month because I knew something was wrong. I have had one chemo treatment and plan to have two more. So far it hasn't been too bad. As you said, we are very, very lucky. I wish you and the other wonderful ladies on this site the very best. You are all so terrific!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register