pre blood tests and xrays help. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre blood tests and xrays help. pre blood tests and xrays help.

Unread 02-11-2004, 07:58 AM
pre blood tests and xrays help.

Hi sisters, just had a letter today saying i need to go and have blood test and xrays, please can any one tell me what more i am to do on the day. My op is 5 th April and the wait is killing me.Any help ladys i would love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2004, 08:02 AM

It seems like it is different for everyone. I only have to go the week before and have my blood drawn at a lab. The day before surgery, I meet with my dr to go over last minute questions and have my blood pressure taken.

Other people have to do a lot more. I think it depends on the dr performing the surgery etc. I asked my dr's office because they never mentioned anything except the appt the day before. I would call and ask.

Good luck.
Unread 02-11-2004, 08:27 AM

I am 3 weeks post op (feeling great by the way) and my pre op consisted of just blood work. Some of my other friends have had to have x-rays also. But that is all of the pre op we have exprienced. The day of surgery, I had 1 more blood test (pregnancy test, I think) and then they started my IV. Then not long after that I was off to surgery.

Don't get too worked up, it really isn't too bad. I was a basket case prior to all of it because a co-worker had the same procedure in November and kept telling me horrible stories, so I was expecting much worse than it all was.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Pre blood tests and xrays help

Noddy,

I had blood work, an EKG, BP check, and chest x-ray two days prior to my surgery. I also signed all of the consent forms for the surgery and hospital stay.

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-11-2004, 05:20 PM

I went to dr's office about 4 days prior to surgery and signed consent forms, got prep instructions, and had last minute questions answered.

When I got to hospital the morning of the surgery they took blood, did an EKG, inserted an IV. I then met the anethesiologist; who looked about 18 :-0! The OR nurse came by and we chatted for a bit. Dr came by my pre-op room for last minute assurances - I was pretty nervous. I got a pre-op shot in my IV, wasn't nervous after that(!), and that was the last I remember. No fuss, no muss!

I assure you that they will get from you what they need - all you have to do is be there and comply. I'm sure everyone will be real nice and bend over backward to help you relax. It will all go well.

Take care and try not to stress out too much between now and April.
Unread 02-11-2004, 06:42 PM

I had my pre op appointment yesterday,then went to the hospital to pre-register for surgery, I had blood drawn (CBC and I'm not sure what other blood tests) then had EKG and chest x-ray. my only pre-surgery instructions are no food or water after midnight, no alcohol or smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery - I'm hoping they will get to me on time (scheduled for 7:30 surgery so have to be at hospital at 5:45 and will meet with anesthesiologist then, probably sgn more papers, etc. - ).

Also my dr said there is a slight chance I might need blood during surgery (like 1 in a million or something like that) so if you have time before your surgery and want to, you might want to check into giving your own blood to be used in case its needed. My doctor didn't mention this to me, but I know from previous surgery patients that is is usually an option.

Off the subject, but my doctor is really thoughtful -- not only will they put the HRT patch on me in recovery room but also a nicotine patch -- I'm hoping I can quit smoking and stay quit during this time off work and then once I get back to work .
Unread 02-11-2004, 07:29 PM

I had a pre-op physical exam, chest x-ray, urinalysis, and several blood tests two days ago and my castle date is 3/5.
My doc said the rule is that the pre-0p must be within the 30 days before surgery. She also said that they will draw blood the day of surgery to type and cross-match my blood, in the rare case that I might need blood. We also spent time doing paperwork. I was at the clinic for two hours !
I have more paperwork to study and fill out before the big day.
Also, need to cut back on caffeine, take no aspirin or Ibuprofen, and try not to catch a cold.
I am also spending about 1 to 2 hours a day reading the posts on this site. It is amazing to see all that I did NOT know before coming upon this site!
Thanks to everyone for sharing their questions and all the info they have ...... the more I learn, the less anxious I am.
Hugs,
katiemarie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register