Need help sleeping... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help sleeping... Need help sleeping...

Unread 02-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Need help sleeping...

My insomnia got so bad with RLS I didn't care what they gave me or what the long term effects were. I tried Ambien but had adverse affects, like sleep walking and eating ice cream with no memory of it. I tried Restoril and it worked at first and then it would only work for a few hours when I would wake up distressed for the rest of the night. Now I am on Neurontin and Klonopin. I was desperate, but these drugs were given to me for nerve pain and muscle tension. This combination has really worked for me. It took a while to figure out the right doses, but now I sleep like a baby. I was also given a trial of Mirapex which made me nauseas ever time I took it. Ovaltine didn't work for me, neither did Valerian Root or Kava Kava. I used to use antihistamines to help me fall off to sleep, now they are my RLS worst enemy. Talk to your doctor, things were unmanageable when I was getting 3 hours of sleep a night. Every thing in my life looked absolutely grim. I am also on an antidepressant now. It is sad to have to take the drugs and I know that you said you are sensitive to them. I used to be also because I never took anything but Tylenol or the typical pain relievers for headaches. But my body has adjusted after being exposed to more and more. Good look in finding the right combination for you. I feel your pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Need help sleeping...

I take the amino acid L-Tryptophan, but this is controversial. It was banned as a supplement years ago after a contaminated batch (produced by one company but sold under several brand names) caused eosinophilia, a potentially fatal blood disorder. It is now available from a compounding pharmacist in pharmaceutical grade by doctor's prescription. Most doctors think it was banned outright, so you have to discuss this with your doctor if you want to go this way.

Again, this is controversial because it is not absolutely, positively certain what contaminant caused the disorder (though it appears to be something called, "factor x", which does not appear in the currently available L-Tryptophan).

But I love the stuff and take 500 mg at night to sleep. Doses of 1000 mg ar not uncommon. Oddly, I also have fewer nightmares with it than I do without it.
Unread 02-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Need help sleeping...

I am gonna nurse the ulcer tonight.....just take my xanax and the pepcid I usually take and hope for the best.

When I see the dr I will ask him about meds for sleep and that might not hurt the stomach. Right now not even taking ibuprofen for pain because I don't want to kill my stomach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Need help sleeping...

Hi Rita,
You've received so many good suggestions. I had a thought that may be way off, but, your difficulty sleeping and then your rapid heart beat made me wonder if the doctor has checked your thyroid recently. If you are hyperthyroid I think that could manifest with some of your symptoms. It was just a thought that I wanted to put out there.
Hoping you are finding that things have calmed down and you are no longer dealing with sleepness nights.
Hugs,
Tedi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register