no problems then cancer, freaked ooout! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no problems then cancer, freaked ooout! no problems then cancer, freaked ooout!

Unread 02-11-2004, 07:37 PM
no problems then cancer, freaked ooout!

I am 33, two kiddos, life great (to much worry about the little things), then go for annual check (18 months since last), and after pap, colposcopy, cone biopsy, and stage 1 adenocarcinoma of the cervix with microinvasion, my life feels turned upside down. I go to see the onc gyn I was referred to tomorrow and not sure what to ask. My doc told me a modified radical hysterectomy would be "curative" and "don't worry", yeah right. How do they know it is not in the lymph nodes? Do I have any other options? I am in need of my ovaries since many close relatives died of breast cancer and HTR seems like a death wish. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 03:57 AM

Hi Twana,

Your tests leading to a diagnosis of cervical cancer sounds similar to mine. And yes..no matter what..it is a shock to receive the diagnosis.

I'm so glad that you are seeing an ONC GYN. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers and in my opinion, are the best Drs. to see. I highly suggest that you write down all of your questions prior to your appointment. I found this to be very helpful in remembering what I wanted to ask and just as importantly, I jotted down the answers so I would remember what answers I received.

Prior to my hyst, my path results did not show clear margins, so I didn't know what to expect. My ONC GYN gave me the option of either a radical hyst or treatment with radiation/chemo. For me, choosing the surgery was the option that made me most comfortable, but I was glad to have a choice and a Dr. who took the time to explain both options and expected outcomes.

My ONC GYN took a detailed medical history from me, including family history. Your ONC GYN should do the same, so that the best options for you can be decided.

I am glad that you have found HS, and the women who post here on Cancer Concerns are a wonderful, caring group with a lot of knowledge and experience to share. There are also lots of s to go around! Let us know how your appointment goes, ok?

Best wishes and lots of s
Unread 02-12-2004, 07:21 AM

Twana,

Hope your gyn/onc appointment goes well today and that you get the info you need. We'll all be anxious to hear how it goes.

You're being kept in prayer.

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 08:31 AM

Hi Twana,
You are doing all of the right things. The chances that a stage 1A adenocarcinoma is in the nodes is really really slim. You do not need to have your ovaries removed. With stage 1A I was told that a cone with clean margins often is curative. To be 100% sure and have peace of mind you need to have the hysterectomy. (no ovary removal)

I had a TVH not a radical because mine was thougt to be precancer. I did not have a cone before time which is a better diagnostic tool. With a radical they will remove your nodes and look at them and then hopefully you can move on.

If its any help I had my hysterectomy for the same thing over 2 years ago and am fine and considered cured.

The waiting and anxiety are the worst parts.
Unread 02-12-2004, 11:30 AM

Twana,

I agree with what the others have posted. I had the EXACT same diagnosis as you after my cone. In my case, the doc took a few lymph nodes during my surgery and they were all clear. I'm coming up on two years post-surgery and like Denise all my follow-ups have been clean as a whistle.

They do not have to take your ovaries. I encourage you to write down your questions and ask, ask, ask the doctor until you are satisfied that you have all of the information. Please keep us posted on what the docs say, and take good care of yourself in the meantime. Waiting for the surgery is very often the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

Beth
Unread 02-13-2004, 06:59 AM

I also had adenocarcinoma - is yours endocervical?
The treatment for adenocarcinoma and squamous cell is about the same. If he is doing a modified that mean he is not doing a radical and must be very optomistic that it is not in the nodes.

You have a execellet prognosis - feel lucky.
There is so much they can do and surgery for me was not that bad. As long and you have a good surgeon who has done many you will just fine.

Good luck - but I am sure you will be surpized how great you feel after.
Unread 02-17-2004, 04:18 PM
update and Thanks to everyone who replied!!!!

I met with the onc gyn and was impressed with his knowledge and great bedside manners. Even my husband understood what he was explaining. I had a list of 26 questions (a little compulsive) but would not have known all that to ask without reading all the info shared here. I am much less freaked out, now just waiting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register