uterine leiomyosarcoma | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

uterine leiomyosarcoma uterine leiomyosarcoma

Unread 02-12-2004, 02:45 PM
uterine leiomyosarcoma

Hi, I am new to the list, not sure I have all the tech stuff down - I had a TAH Jan. 21st after 1 1/2 years of serious problems, am a health advocate, and still my situation fell thru the cracks. The gyn had no idea there was a fist sized tumor in my uterus. They didn't know what it was - said for three days it was a fibroid gone bad, then came back with it being a leiomyosarcoma - they did not remove any lymph nodes or do staging. But it had not spread outside the uterus and was still contained. The path report indicated high mitosis and a high grade, although it didn't say what. that from my research would have to be a III - but I keep thinking this pathologist had never seen one of these (that was true). My first reaction (I am in rural Montana) was to call a doctor friend at UCLA - I am going there next week for further evaluation by a gyno-onocologist - they are in the process of re-examining the slides to make sure of an absolute correct diagnosis. I had a pelvic, abdomen, lung scan and they were clear. I have gone to an oncologist here to help manage the situation, he's just come from Johns Hopkins into our area to start a research facility.

I'm looking for survivors that would be willing to be support for each other. I went to a support group locally, but this type of cancer/sarcoma is so rare and so different, I know I need to talk with others about it. I also want to make darn sure I am aware of the very latest protocols, what has worked, the new oncologist is great and will help - so I can make very informed decisions about adjunct therapy.

I am 57 - and was already a cancer survivor. I had thyroid cancer in 1972 and 1980 - I received external beam radiation to my tonsils and adenoids in 1953 when pioneer medicine was "ablating" them with radiation instead of surgery! Look forward to hearing from you - V. in Montana and maybe the only leiomyo person in the state...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 05:30 PM
uterine leiomyosarcoma

Oneinamillion,

So sorry about your diagnosis--and glad that you'll be seeing that gyn/onc in California. You're wise to be so proactive!

This site is marvelous--comforting, supportive, encouraging. You'll find lots of friends here, not only now, but after your surgery as well.

I hope you are able to find others who have a similar diagnosis, and please know that you'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-12-2004, 05:37 PM
uterine leiomyosarcoma

Hi--

I think someone posted about this a couple of days ago. Maybe go back a page or two in the postings and you'll find it. She cited a couple of websites to check--you may want to take a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 05:57 PM
uterine leiomyosarcoma

HI!

I did a search of the cancer concerns boards for leiomyosarcoma -

The search results are here

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sea...der=descending

There are a number of ladies with the same diagnosis - you might want to PM them.

Let us know how your consults go and what further treatment is recomended.

Dorrie
Unread 02-13-2004, 07:26 AM
uterine leiomyosarcoma

Hello,

Leiomyosarcoma is rare and it is a cousin of my rare cancer.
here is a link to a support group.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leiomyosarcoma/

I belong to one that deals with my cancer and it is a tremendous help to talk to others who are going through the same issues you are faced with. I feel as if I have known and loved the girls in my group forever. It also is a great source for treatments, drugs and clinical trials.

I hope this helps you.
Unread 06-24-2004, 02:00 PM
uterine leiomyosarcoma

Hi,
How did your visit to UCLA turn out? I am curious because I to may have uterine LMS. At first the gyn/onc said it was way to small to be that. They found it through a fluke. Well it is now growing but still only 2.4cm. I will be having a TAH most likely next week. I am anxious to know how everything went for you.
Patti

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register