granulation after 21 months? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

granulation after 21 months? granulation after 21 months?

Unread 02-12-2004, 07:25 PM
granulation after 21 months?

I had my checkup today (hyst was in early June, 2002), and reported a slight discharge to my doctor. He took a look, and saw what he said looked like a bit of granulation. He took a biopsy, results should be back in a week. It has me kind of freaked out; I thought at 21 months post surgery, I should be healed and granulation shouldn't be an issue. Has anyone else had this sort of thing this long after surgery? Doc says that he doesn't think it looks like cancer, but wasn't terribly reassuring about seeing granulation this long after surgery . . . just that it usually happens closer to surgery, but can come up later, too

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I know this is probably just cancerhead, and I'm probably going to drive myself crazy over nothing until I get the biopsy results.

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2004, 08:18 AM

Cheryl,
I am sorry you are having problems right now, and I know that you are probable worried and scared, but try to stay positive until you know for sure! Easy for me to say, but really, it could just be something that is easy to treat , like the granulation. While it may be uncommon to have this so far out of surgery, it must not be unheard of. Are you being followed by an gyn/onc. ? We had our surgeries on the same day, and I know I would be worried too, but TRY to not let cancerhead get a stronghold on you over the weekend! I think once we hear our cancer diagnosis , we all tend to think the worst when new symptoms appear. Hopefully, this is just a small bump in the path. I am praying that it is nothing that is not benign/easy to treat! Take care and please, let us know when you get those biopsy results. Keeping you in my prayers.

Rhonda
Radical hysterectomy, June 2002, cervical cancer, 1b
Unread 02-13-2004, 09:37 AM

Cheryl,

Although I don't know about the ins and outs of granulation, please know that you're in my thoughts & prayers. Hopefully it's just granulation after all!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2004, 12:32 PM

At the risk of being a dope, what is granulation? What are the symptoms of it? What causes it?

Thanks,
Janie
Unread 02-13-2004, 06:46 PM

Janie,

You are not a dope... I do not know what granulation is either and would love to know.

Please inform us. Thanks,
Rosalie
Unread 02-14-2004, 03:20 AM

Granulation is basically scar tissue that can form in the vaginal cuff after a hysterectomy as it heals. From what I've found on the Internet, is quite common, but usually much closer to the surgery.

Rhonda and Marlene,
Thanks for your good wishes and prayers. Yes, I am seeing a gyn/onc, and it is reassuring that he said it didn't look like cancer to him, but of course, wants to biopsy it to be sure. Amazing how quickly the cancerhead takes over, though. My cancer was caught very early, so chance of recurrence are low, but I will be glad when the biopsy comfirms my doctor's opinion.
Unread 02-14-2004, 04:37 AM

Hi, Cheryl--

After my radical hysterectomy, I had asymptomatic granulation which my gyn-onc treated with silver nitrate. As I recall, he saw it during an examination at one of my visits shortly after surgery.

I think the fact that your gyn-onc thought your condition looked like granulation is very encouraging, although I certainly can understand your apprehension until the biopsy results confirm his suspicion.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that you get your good results quickly!

Take care,

MoeKay
Unread 02-14-2004, 07:24 AM

Hi Cheryl
I had a piece of granulation removed sometime back....OUCH>>>> My gyn indicated that it can happen.....and not to worry. She also did a biopsy, which of course I worried about....Have you considered that the piece was there from right after surgery and maybe it just was noticed? Maybe the gyn didnt notice it until you mentioned the discharge....My gyn showed me the tiny tiny piece she removed....I dont know how she saw it.....I think different things can cause granulation to be found....such as,.,,,it may have not been showing, but you strained in some way, excersice...ect....and it poked through....the cuff site... I am sure everything is fine, but I know how things like this make us worry. I will email you later. Take Care Chris
Unread 02-15-2004, 11:16 AM

Chris and Moekay,

Thanks for the info and encouragement. I did some searches on The Road Less Traveled forum, and found others who experienced problems with granulation a year or more after surgery. It is encouraging to know that, and I guess over time the tendancy to think the worst will go away. Still will be anxious until I get the biopsy results . . . it is a little frightening to hear "this looks like granulation, but we need to biopsy it".

Cheryl
Unread 02-19-2004, 07:01 PM
biopsy results back--all clear

I got my biopsy results back today, and it was simply granulation, just like the doctor suspected. Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and encouragement.

I did learn one other thing. I had a couple of messages from my doctor's office when I got home from work yesterday--but just a message to call -- nothing about the results of the biopsy. Of course, I started to panic, thinking that they would have left a message if everything was all right. Not so--because of the new privacy laws, they can't do that any more (which, thankfully, Chris5 pointed out to me last night, saving a night of worry). The nurse did tell me that if they have written permission from the patient on file, they can leave a message, so I'm certainly going to make sure I take care of that at my next appointment!

Thanks for the good wishes from everyone!

Cheryl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register