Not looking forward to this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not looking forward to this Not looking forward to this

Unread 02-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Not looking forward to this

I'm 48 and scheduled for a LVH on Feb 25th due to heavy bleeding, fibroids and cysts. I know you all say that this is a good thing, but I'm not looking forward to this and every time I think I'm getting used to the idea, I get scared again. My Dr. told me that even tho I am a BIG woman, I am very small and he will probably need to do an episiotomy since I had C-sections and never got stretched out. I haven't seen any mention of this by anyone in their posts, so now I'm worrying about one more thing. Also, is anyone else overweight? I'm worried that I will have problems because of that. Losing weight has been difficult because I have PCOS, Grave's Disease and Hashimoto's Disease. I've lost 42 lbs since Aug and I'm afraid I'll gain it back because of all this. Has anyone else dealt with any of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2004, 01:31 AM

My fiance's sister-in-law was overweight when she had her surgery and so is my neighbor. Neither seemed to have any related complications. My neighbor took a little longer to recover because she has fibromialgia and other health problems.

The worst part of the surgery is the waiting before hand. I got very scared about a week before my surgery but knew I had to go through it. Once you get there for surgery, you may be given something to help you relax. They do not hold back on pain meds at all.

Just keep in mind the problems you won't have to deal with after your surgery.
Unread 02-13-2004, 04:56 AM

Hi kitten!

I don't blame you one bit for being scared ~ this is scary! It's serious! This is a very invasive, major surgery!

I hope you do find that all goes well and this surgery takes care of your symptoms. I hope you have been able to voice your concerns to your doctor and have received some insight... I do usually tell people that if they have doubts about their decision for this surgery or apprehension about methods for surgery, etc., that it is not too late to back off and get some other DR's opinions. The fact is that many get through this ("big" and "small") finding complete and wonderful relief of their symptoms, but, sadly, there are others who remain plagued with symptoms and complications. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees. I sincerely hope you are one of the many success stories!

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think you're very smart to do some thinking about how you feel about this, because I think it's important to go into it being 100% sure.

I'm sending big s your way ~ Please let us know how things progress for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2004, 05:20 AM

Just sending a your way!
Unread 02-13-2004, 07:39 AM

Hi kitten4

I had a tvh almost 6 weeks ago and the dr did an episiotomy even though I'd had two children. I am slightly overweight too but he's never even brought that up at any office visit. I too have Hashimoto's but it's not been a problem in my recovery.
I feel wonderful and can't believe I even had surgery.

Congratulations on losing weight...that's next on my "to do" list. I go back for my 6 week check up Mon and I'll see then if I get released back into the world.

It's understandble to be scared...we all were. Hang in there...you can do it!

Sending and s your way.
Blessings,
Unread 02-13-2004, 09:53 AM
being overweight

While I don't have the other medical complications you mentioned, I am overweight. About 90 lbs. overweight. My doctor did mention that there were more risks, and the surgery was more difficult because of my weight. That's pretty scary.

Anyone here close to 100 lbs. overweight at the time of their surgery?
Unread 02-13-2004, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the support - I feel like I'm on a roller coaster - ok one minute, then scared to death the next. I'm trusting to the Lord that this is the right thing and that he will take care of me. This seems to get scarier and more all right all at the same time. My DH said that every woman he's ever loved has died on him - his mom died when he was little, then his sister and then the aunt who raised him after his mom died. I feel guilty that some how I'm going to do the same thing. Doesn't make sense logically, but maybe this is the hormone therapy (Lupron) talking. I hope this part goes away after!! I think I'm keeping the ovaries - it depends on what they find when they get in there.

Thanks for your responses.

kit
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:17 PM
LAVH

HI
I am 100lbs over weight and this was not even brought up by my dr. I also am diabetic (pills), and have border line high blood preasure. I did have to go to my general dr and get a full check up and blood work. I am going in for a LAVH on March 4th due to bad periods, fibroids and adenomyosis. I am so nervous that I developed a bad cough. Can this interfear with them putting me to sleep?Wha can I expect befor during and after. I am so looking foward to feeling better, and not being stuck in bed on the first day of my period every month. I still need to go for my pre-op tests. I have not gotten a date for this yet. They said I should call the hospital a week bfor surgery for that.
Keep your fingers crossed for me and say a prayer. I just want it all to be over...
Thank you all for listening
best of luck and speedy recovery to everyone
Huges
Unread 02-16-2004, 06:55 AM

I to am a Big Girl ( my fiance' says I 'm thick, sounds nicer) My doctor told me healing has a lot to do with following directions, and that thin woman can have just as many problems.

I totally feel you about the roller coaster, I go from one extreme to the other. Some times I feel positive and think I can handle this and then, I feel like I want to Run, as far and as fast as I can, I do not know where, just somewhere. Then I realize, I would be bringing it with me. I hope once I get a date I will feel much better. I will keep you in my Prayers.
Unread 02-16-2004, 09:27 AM

There are risks to any surgery. The risks are higher for us who are more "fluffy". (I am average height and way above average weight!) My GYN did note that my surgery was a little more difficult because of the fluff, but nothing they could not control. I had TAH- and absolutley no problems getting around and healing (granted, I did have the normal aches and pains associated w/ TAH) I never had weight gain OR weight loss after my surgery. My BP is controlled via medication, and I was allowed to take them in the castle.
I'm sure you'll do just fine. Here are 2 s to encourage you as you face this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register