incisional hernia repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incisional hernia repair incisional hernia repair

Unread 02-14-2004, 05:25 PM
incisional hernia repair

Hi, I may have posted something about this before, but now I know for sure I need surgery to repair an incisional hernia that resulted after my TAH last June. It's scheduled for 3/3 and will require mesh. My vertical incision goes very low down toward the pubic bone, so the surgeon is concerned that it may never heal. And she said something to the intern about "swiss cheese" possibilities which means the entire scar may have small holes that aren't bulging yet.
I'm pretty bummed out and scared about going under again. I'm so glad this group is here for support and to answer questions. You've meant the world to me during this past year. Thanks to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 06:03 PM
incisional hernia repair

I had an incisional hernia repair a year ago today. My doctor also suspected that there would be numerous little holes found but he was wrong. I had just the one hole that had turned into a fairly large hernia. It also turned out that my incision did not have to be opened all the way. And I wonder why your doctor would be concerned about the incision healing. It healed before, didn't it? I had a six inch square of mesh inserted and it was a complicated situation because my omentum was removed during my previous surgery. My recuperation was uneventful except that I gained some weight during my recovery and have just recently taken it off. Only within the last month have I felt really back to normal although I didn't realize I wasn't feeling normal until the shift occurred. I think it often takes a year to really get back to normal after a big surgery.

I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 02-15-2004, 08:08 AM
incisional hernia repair

Before I start my post, just wanted to thank all the sisters for all the support I have received over the past months. For those of you who are familiar with me, I haven't been able to post since my surgery in November, my father gave up his fight and passed away in January, and so, well, you know..........
Thank you again for the prayers and support.
Cricket
I understand where you are coming from.
I had an incisional hernia repair/colon resection November, 2003, due to hysterectomy in April. I, like Joselle, had one hole that turned out to be a large hernia. The hernia repair and the colon resection was done laparascopic, which I feel made the healing process less painful.
I was doing well until a couple of weeks ago, had a cold, coughed, and felt something pull, it has doubled me over 5 times. Went to the doctor and it is too soon to tell, but he feels I may have stretched/torn the "healing" adominal muscles or the mesh has come loose. I know that something is going on, I can feel the mesh slowing "tearing/moving".
I am waiting now for a CT scan to be scheduled.
Just know we are here for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep us posted.

Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2004, 09:03 AM
incisional hernia repair

Thanks for your replies. Isassylady, my heart goes out to you. My dad passed in December and I share your grief. Why haven't you been able to post? Is it hard to sit at the computer after that type of surgery, or were you just not feeling up to it emotionally? When do you guys think I might be able to climb stairs?
We're planning a BIG move in April, not far, but a lot of stuff. We decided to do the surgery first because they said recovery takes about a month. Was this an understatement? We'll be hiring movers because my husband is wheelchair bound, but I imagine there will be a lot of smaller boxes that I will be dealing with. Do you think we should move first, then have the surgery?
I'm scheduled right now for 3/3.
Unread 02-18-2004, 04:29 PM
incisional hernia repair

I read your hernia info with interest. A few years ago I had an abdominal incisional hernia after I had emergency surgery for an ovarian pregnancy. The first incisional repair did not take and I had to have a second repair using mesh. I have never had a problem with the hernia repair. However, in 10/03 I had LAVH due to a prolapsed uterus. Everything was okay until recently when I started having pain and leaking and constipation. The urologist said I have a rectocele and cystocele. He then proceeded to blame a lot of the problem on the mesh that was stapled in my stomach for the hernia repair. He said that because of the mesh, every time I sneeze or cough or lift, the pressure goes down in the vaginal area and not the stomach. Therefore, I was destined to eventually have cystocele and rectocele. I don't want to scare you but you might want to ask your doctor if that is possible. Of course, there is probably not an alternative because nobody wants to have hernia. Sorry for your problems and I hope all goes well.
Unread 02-18-2004, 09:05 PM
incisional hernia repair

Try not to be alarmed by the ladies here who have had problems with their hernia repairs. Most hernias are repaired with no further problems. My mesh was not stapled, I have never felt it at all even though I was sure I would, and nothing is moving or tearing or pushing anything that I am aware of and I've had plenty of investigation for other problems that would have shown if anything was out of place. I found my recovery to be about the same as it was for my hysterectomy although I was up and around sooner. I don't know whether you should move before or after surgery, but for sure you will not want to lift anything heavy unhtil your doctor gives you the go ahead. It does take time for the mesh to become incorporated but it starts being attached almost the second they put it in, so it will be strong before long. Just don't risk getting another hernia!!
Unread 02-19-2004, 01:05 PM
incisional hernia repair

Thanks for your reassuring post, Joselle (and thanks everyone else too!) I realize problems can occur but somehow knowing more helps me deal with my anxiety - I feel a little more in control of my body. You asked me in your first post why my dr. felt it might be difficult to heal. It's because my original incision goes very far down into the pubic area because they really opened me up wide for the exploratory part of the surgery. That means there is less fascia(?) for the dr. to stitch the mesh to. We decided to do the surgery first because the hernia might get larger as I wait, and that would make it even more difficult to fix. I'm sure glad there is this Road Less Traveled Board because I'd hate to freak out all the ladies going into routine hysterectomies.
Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register