Back Issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Back Issues

Long story, so will try and make it short for the readers sake.

Been having back problems/pain in the lower part of my spine. It all started back in 1995, though I never saw a doc for my back pain specifically. It wasn't until March 2003 that I had enough and went to the doc; was put on Percocet for pain, Flexeril to relax muscles and X-Rays were ordered. After going for the X-Rays, went back to the doc and that is when I found out I have Osteoarthritis and Scoliosis at L4 and L5 of the lower lumbar spine. Doc also put me on Mobic (for arthritis - anti-inflammatory) and sent me to start Physical Therapy where I did TENS shock therapy, heat and exercises and was given a home TENS unit to use when I needed it (which was everytime I didn't have PT).

December 19, 2003 I was involved in an auto accident which only aggrivated the Scoliosis and caused the Osteoarthritis to flare up. Was put on Vioxx and Lortab, and Flexeril as needed for spasms. Am also back to doing PT.

Something hit me, never thought of this before .. asked my physical therapist on Friday about it: the TVH I had done - did it mess things up back there too?? She said it most certainly didn't help matters (same muscle cut to remove uterus is also same muscle that helps to support the back). There is something called "Lordosis" - natural curve of the back (stand at a side view and look in the mirror .. you'll see it). Well, like I said .. never thought about it. Therapist said when the muscle was cut for TVH, my muscle got laxed. My GYN never told me this would happen, and I never thought of asking .. dumb me?? Maybe. The Lordosis in my lower back in non-exsistent. I will probably not ever get it back like it should be either, but I can try to strengthen the muscle at least (which is what I do at PT and at home with stretching and the exercises). Waiting game.

Why I am posting this is cause my back really bothers me .. and I wanted you ladies to know how important it is to strengthen that muscle back up when you are cleared to begin exercises post-op. Might even consider working that muscle before hyster - can't hurt anything.

The hyster didn't cause my back problems; apparently (according to my medical records) the Scoliosis was DX'd in 1995 (though I was never told I had it) and the Osteoarthritis developed shortly after the Scoliosis was found. How these were spotted was after I was in an auto accident when I was about 5 months pregnant and had gone to ER immediately following the accident for back pain. Am upset that I was never told about it. Can't blame it on the doc that DX'd me last March cause I was never seen specifically in clinic for back pain - only after the accident. Wish I would of had said something when it all started. Maybe some of this pain (and it can get really bad sometimes) could of had been avoided.

Not sure how things will be for me in the future as far as my back is concerned, but I know I will ALWAYS have pain, swelling and discomfort. Doc I have now is monitoring my progress and will order an MRI if things don't get much better to rule out any possible changes with my spine and to make sure I don't have a disc buldging; of which there is a strong family HX of back problems with discs. My Mother, her Mother and Moms sisters (2) have all had surgeries and spinal injections for herniated discs - all starting between ages 30 - 35 and I'm 30.

Remember to strengthen that muscle back up ladies.

Amy

P.S. Guess I didn't keep this that short .. sorry it's so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Wow!

Wish I had known this prior to my tah (as you wish you knew prior to your surgery.)

I've had really bad lower back pains since my tah and my chiropractor (whom I had seen every 8 weeks for a shoulder injury) took an x-ray and told me I had quite severe scoliosis!

As a teen I was always complaining about the pains in my legs but my mother ignored me or said it was growing pains. It was never an issue after that until I had my tah.

I think someone should do a study or something.!

I thought I was alone on these back issues...thanks for sharing!
Unread 02-14-2004, 10:51 PM
back sufferer too

I too have sufferred from back pain for several years. I have been to several drs. and had several dxs some say fibromialgya some say sacroialliac joint dysfucntion and my gyn says it has to do with my endo bieng so bad. After my tah it has gotten alot worse. my right leg goes numg and I can't walk. I am seeing a pmg dr and recieving trigger pt inj. plus sij inj they help for a couple of weeks but not that great and not that long. I am glad to know I am not alone.
Take care
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Back Issues

Hi could it be your sciatic nerve that is causing this. I know it hurts the bottom of your back and legs. Have you been to a chiropractor. ang

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register