Anyone done physical therapy? questions inside | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone done physical therapy? questions inside Anyone done physical therapy? questions inside

Unread 02-14-2004, 07:32 PM
Anyone done physical therapy? questions inside

Sorry to be posting all the time, I'm just trying to get all the information/support I need to make it down this road.

I have my first PT appointment on Monday. I've never done PT. What do I wear? Sweats? It's pelvic, so I want to be comfortable, and my ab is so sore, jeans hurt. Also, is it going to hurt? If it's pelvic, am I going to have to undress? Are they going to be looking at my "parts"?

I probably sound dumb, sorry if I do.

Thanks for info?

Laura (looking for the off ramp, but keep hitting speed bumps along the way)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2004, 08:52 PM

why are you having pt? I have gone through years of pt, and never once had to undress except when massage or TENS unit was involved.. At any rate, dress comfy--sweats are kinda the rule.
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:04 AM

Dear Laura,

I did have several PT sessions with a PT who specializes in women's health issues. She did check out all "the parts" and do internal massage of the pelvic floor muscles.

I would wear sweats to the sessions.

She has had good success with many patients doing the internal massage of the pelvic floor muscles. It did not help me and seemed to make the pain worse not better.... but now I know that she was actually massaging the areas that had endo so no wonder it didn't help.

Many of these types of PTs do a variety of treatments which does include the internal thing... but you don't have to do that and if you decide to try it make sure the PT only does it for a very short time.... and if it makes it worse have her stop that part of the plan.

The 2nd PT I went to never did the internal massage thing because I told her it was not helpful... she has been doing things like ultrasound and estim...

I hope you find some relief with the PT.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2004, 09:12 AM

(((Laura)))) don't appologize for asking the questions: that's what this forum is all about

I've been going to PT for incontinence issues (well.... got to get back to it, but I have to find the time first ) and, in my case, it did involve internal massage. So, I did have to undress.... partly. Do wear something comfortable, especially if it's to help with pelvic pain, because you might be sensitive afterwards. My therapist is very thorough and very gentle and the stimulation is all done through a probe. And, she stops the minute there is pain... though, as I said, it's not an issue for me. However, I understand that there are different methods, since the therapy is done for a variety of reasons.

Sending lots of s your way. Hopefully, the therapy will help. Please keep us posted.
Unread 02-15-2004, 09:13 AM

I did PT for about 8 weeks, just stretching. I didn't even know internal was something that was done! Wow. Anyway, since I've now developed a hernia where the internal stiches didn't hold, I wish I'd been more careful about the twisting stretches. I don't know if they were part of creating the hernia, but if I had it to do over, I would have been more careful. I had to have PT because my hip muscles were weak from the psoas muscle abcess I had and I had a really pronounced limp. Just like Igor in Young Frankenstein (the greatest movie of all time, by the way.) Good luck, and listen to your body-speak up if you have any concerns.
Unread 02-16-2004, 05:29 AM

I did PT for about 12 weeks, the vast majority involved electric stimulation of the pelvic floor so I was on a table, stripped from the waist down and covered with a sheet every time.
Unread 02-16-2004, 07:07 AM

Hi sisters

I really appreciated all these responses as this is something I may be looking at in the near future also. So Laura, there are no dumb questions. If you have them, chances are someone else does too, and just hasn't gotten around to asking them yet.
I hope your PT goes well - let us know.
Shelley
Unread 02-16-2004, 08:07 AM

Hey Laura, Thanks for posting! My Dr. suggested that I might need pt because I am still in much discomfort and I can not sit long still and he does not think that it is just the adheasions??? Then he told me that i ma not compleatley healed under my scar? wow I am so sick of it too. I just had surgery on the 22nd of Jan for adheasions and I am having a follow up surgery on the 24th of this month for a follow up, I am in a study for 2nd look at adheasions, If they grew back within a month they will zap them again and put a solution on them to keep them soft, This procedure is done in Europe and is being studied her now in Phila. I am not looking forward to another surgery, but I will let you all know what the out-come is. Take care and let me know how you make out. Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register