surgery on 2-23 monday need a few prayers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on 2-23 monday need a few prayers surgery on 2-23 monday need a few prayers

Unread 02-18-2004, 07:46 AM
surgery on 2-23 monday need a few prayers

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to take a second to thank all of you. This has been such a support system to me. I am getting very scared now that it is down to the wire. I am having fears of not waking up along with other silly things that are going thru my mind. Is this normal or am I just being a baby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2004, 08:36 AM

Normal, normal, normal. I was scared to death, but I decided to face everything that would happen to me with the attitude of "oh, this is interesting. I wonder what will happen next?" It made me like an observer as well as a participant, and that little bit of distance really kept me calm. My doc also sat down with me and addressed all my fears--told me what percentage of people have this or that go wrong, how many people say it's the best thing they ever did, how safe is anaesthesia, etc.

Like many people, though, I made sure to talk to all my friends before I went to the castle "just in case"; I wrote my daughter a long letter "just in case", I had all my paperwork up to date "just in case." And my surgery was "textbook", performed in record time, and I am having an easy recovery. For me, the waiting WAS the hardest part.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 02-18-2004, 08:54 AM

Hi Celtic,

Your feelings are so normal. While waiting to go into surgery, I was begging my husband to just let me go home. I was terrified I would not wake up from the anesthesia. But I am sure you are in good hands and all will be well. Look at all of us here who came through it with flying colors.

Stella is right - it is interesting to see what goes on in the hospital and operating room. I was fasinated even while I was terrified. The Nurses were great though and calmed most of my fears. I recovered from surgery with no problems at all.

Take care and good luck,
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2004, 09:10 AM

Celtic,

Yes, normal! Very few people face major surgery without a qualm.

Stella and Sharon are right, you can try to interest yourself (and even amuse yourself) with all the goings-on in the hospital and OR. I found myself smiling at how many nurses, techs, and so on kept on coming to me, checking the name on my ID bracelet, and asking me if I really was who I was and if this was the surgery I was having. I thought to myself, I guess this will prevent the possibility of some nurse waking me up in the recovery room to assure me "Your surgery went well, and you'll be up and walking in no time once you get your artificial leg!"

Tell you the truth, once I was in the OR, I remember looking around at all the equipment and thinking, hmmm...all this for me, huh? And next thing I remember, literally, was some nurse tickling my toe in the recovery room and saying "Hi! You're all done!"

Celtic, think of your surgery as a positive good-health measure you are taking. You'll be amazed at what a miracle machine the human body is, and how, if you take the time for full recuperation, your body will let you know exactly when it's ok to return to normal activity.

All the best! We're pulling for you! Another Princess in the making!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-18-2004, 10:22 AM
nerves are normal

For the first time, on 2/9 when I has elbow surgery, I was terrified of anesthesia. I don't know why. I think this is very common. For mr, I repeated a phrase after I was prayed out that made sense and was very reassuring to me. The next thing I recall after being put under was saying something like, "Oh, this has to be the recovery room! I only remember the recovery room once before and not this good. And you must be the nurse." Whereupon I recall having a wonderful conversation... Nerves are very normal and you'll do fine--but DO express your concerns.
Unread 02-19-2004, 02:45 AM

hi celtic
I am also headed to the castle on Monday, just 3.25 days and counting for us. I like you am having jumble head with thoughts of everything from will my husband know how to do the bills from what am I going to say to my 3 and 6 year old the morning of. Of course it is 3:30am and I am here and feeling better about being so scared. The whole "if something happens" notion is about to get to me, organizing letters in my head to my kids, while crying of course. In my heart of hearts I know I will be ok. It is so strange to be just fine, no pain, no symptoms, and major surgery looming in the horizon.
A funny spin on things, I am a nurse practitioner and many moons ago worked in the OR and PACU so I know what all goes on behind those doors. I still can't decide if that is better or worse. I told the anesthia guy prior to my cone "Give me Zofran, Toradol, wake me up sitting up (I have asthma and I can't breath phobia so up is much better), I puke easy so watch the combination of anesthetic gases, and no one is to laugh or talk about me while I can not defend myself". I thought he was going to die laughing. After the versed, the happy pre-op juice, I was smiling and waving at my family and complete strangers.
I will keep you in my prayers,
Twana
wow this is long!
Unread 02-19-2004, 06:46 AM
23rd Princesses

I'll keep you all in my prayers. You will do fine.
Be nice to the nurses
I got to know each one on each shift, and other than one ol' crankpot, I consider them angels.
Get to know them, ask about their children, their work. It helps take your mind off things and makes them happy to get to your room.

and when you come home.........rest!!!! and drink lots of water!!!

Looking forward to hearing from you all and good reports,
Nancy J.
Unread 02-19-2004, 03:03 PM

Hi Celtic,

The waiting really is the hardest part. I went to the castle on Feb 4 and came home on the 6. My incision is doing well. And I only have a small area that is still uncomfortable. I wish you luck for a speedy rec. The strange thing is I found this site only 6 hours before my surgery. (Couldn't sleep that night) I had only 6 days to get ready for my TAH. But everything will work-out. At the castle let them take care of you, they are all there for you!!!
In my prayers, Bridget
Unread 02-19-2004, 10:00 PM

I cried and cried before surgery. As they wheeled me into the OR, I was still crying, and then all of a sudden, I went, "Ow!" as some painful medicine was injected into me. I looked up at the cute anesthesiologist (who was married -- darn!) and said, "Hey!" and he said, "Sorry. " And then I blacked out and woke up nine hours later in a lot of pain. It's amazing how they can just take away all consciousness and then bring you back.

You will wake up. You will be fine. I can't say don't be scared, since that comes with the territory. But just know that you will get through this! :-) s!
Unread 02-20-2004, 07:26 PM
You will be fine!

I have had several different kinds of surgery and now I have become an 'ol pro at it. At first I used to get scared like you....but now I have started thinking about it like I am just going to go and take a nap.

I can always use a nap You know?

I never miss the opportunity to tell my family that I love them, just in case.....but when I go to the surgery center I am generally very tired, because I stay up late the night before, that way I am struggling to stay awake when I get there.

By the time they wheel me into the OR I'm out. So, like I said its like taking a long nap.

Good Luck Celtic and let us know soon how you're doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register