annoying groin pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

annoying groin pain annoying groin pain

Unread 02-18-2004, 10:32 AM
annoying groin pain

I think I posted on this board about 6 months ago with this problem, and I still don't have an answer. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas. Here goes my story. In June 2001 I had a hysterectomy keeping my ovaries and cervix. All seemed well until August of last year. I started having this annoying pain on my right side near my groin almost to where my leg meets. Sometimes the pain travels around my hip and/or down my leg. First I went to my gyne. We did an pelvic ultrasound (cysts ?) - found nothing. Had my liver checked - found nothing. We also did a culture - found nothing. Six months before that I had some blood in my stools and had a colonoscopy done. It turned out to be internal hemmies. Last summer (about 2 months before this pain started), my husband and I did some serious landscaping in the back yard. I must have lifted 500 -25lb bricks all over the yard. Although I never felt that I overlifted (and felt any pain), is it possible I gave myself a hernia? I haven't felt any lumps or anything. Now here's the weird part, this ONLY hurts when I'm sitting or laying down for a period of time. If I get up and start walking around, the pain goes completely (well 95% of it) away. I have 3 ideas on what it could be - 1)hernia, 2)scar tissue from the hysterectomy, or 3) something is wrong in the colon area, and I need to have a colonoscopy again. I may add at this point that I have had NO change in weight, or bowel movements. I do get an occasional hemoroids (once every 2 - 3 months) but that's usually brought on by my diet (too much cheese which causes constipation and straining) or if I drink beer. I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm at my wit's end. I know if I go to my doctor, she's going to suggest a laparoscopy to look around, or to go have another colonoscopy (which I dread). I'm trying to avoid the medical expenses, and rather than put myself in the poor house by every doctor suggesting this test and that test, I was hoping someone has had similar symptoms which could help me pinpoint an eventual test/diagnosis. Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
annoying groin pain

What you describe sounds just like what I have experienced. I have also asked plenty of questions about it and have not received any answers. Just thought you'd like to know you're not alone. I have talked with other women who have had this symptom after surgery. Some of us wonder if it has something to do with the round ligaments being used to support the pelvic floor.
Unread 02-19-2004, 06:52 AM
annoying groin pain

I've never heard of that before. Sometimes I think it may be IBS, but I don't have any of those symptoms. Other times, I think it's a hernia. But what really confuses me is that when I'm up and moving around, the pain goes away almost completely. I would think if it were a hernia, it would feel worse from moving around. I do power walking for 30-45 minutes on my lunch hour, and afterwards I feel great. I'm so confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2004, 12:36 PM
annoying groin pain

This is quite a mystery! When you sit and when lying down, your leg is in different positions, but both are worse than moving. I've got a hernia at my incision, and I've read that there is not always a lump, but this sounds more like something that would be affected by circulation. Maybe bowel, maybe blood pooling somewhere? Or maybe a nerve is being pressed and sending signals until you move around. Nerves can send a variety of weird signals and that might explain why the pain moves around your hip into your leg sometime. Did they do an epidural during your surgery? Sometimes the pressure on the nerve is nowhere near where the pain is. I am NOT a medical person, so these are just guesses. You're bound to figure it out with the searching that you're doing. Isn't this a helpful site? I've learned so much. I'll ask around and see if any of my friends know anything like this. Hang in there!
Unread 03-19-2004, 08:21 AM
annoying groin pain

Just wanted to let everyone know, yes, I still have this pelvic pain. I had an MRI a couple days ago and everything came back clean. I've decided to schedule a laparoscopy today to let my dr. have a look-see. She will clean up any endo if there is some and any adhesions that appear to be causing problems. She has told me adhesions do come back so she only would clean up anything that looks to be causing problems only. I agree with her. I will let everyone know what happens. Has anyone had a lap before? What can I expect? She said I would only need to be off work a couple days. Thanks for all the support over the years from this board. I really appreciate it. Laura
Unread 03-19-2004, 09:35 AM
annoying groin pain

Dear ((Laura))

I am sorry you have not found an answer to your pain problem

I have had 9 laparascopies and I am surprised that your doctor said you would only need a couple days off work (2?!).... YIKES!... My input would be that the amount of time is not really related to the laparascopy incisions but the amount of work done inside your pelvis.... for example, I recently had a lap where the doctor excised endometriosis and endosalpingiosis, did a cecopexy and a PSN. I can tell you that the first 4 weeks were pretty rough and if I did work outside of my home I would not have felt up to going to work until about 5-6 weeks post-op... but I had a laparascopy several years ago where the doctor did nothing but look and I think I went back half days after a week off and then full days after 2 weeks... the issue that time was the gas used to inflate the abdomin... I just couldn't sit up for long periods as my diaphragm would get so irritated and cause terrible shoulder and neck pain.

Everyone is different though... so you may be fine. I hope your doctor can find the problem. I know it can be very frustrating.
Let us know when the big day is!!

Sarah
Unread 03-19-2004, 11:01 AM
annoying groin pain

I'm with Sarah on the lap issue. I've had 2 and the first one I could start doing more normal routines after about a week, but was still tiring very easily, and had that shoulder and neck pain. After the second one they removed a LOT of endo, as well as my uterosaceral ligaments, and suspended my uterus. I was out for about 4 weeks, and still tired after that. Before I went in they said to me " You might feel some soreness or heaviness in your shoulders" (because of the gas they use to inflate your abdomen so they can see in there). The first time I sat up (about an hour after waking up in recovery), I thougth, Wow, they weren't kidding about the shoulder pain - I felt like I had a 10 ton weight on my shoulders!! For me, that was the worst part of it.

Good luck, and I hope you get the answers you're looking for.
Shelley
Unread 03-19-2004, 11:51 AM
annoying groin pain

Thank you SBlumen and endosister! I was beginning to think I was going crazy! I had a lap 10 days ago that started out to be to remove my remaining ovary and cysts. It developed into over 3 hours of lysis off adhesions in my pelvis and upper abdomen. The Dr. seemed concerned that I wasn't able to be back to my "normal" activities yet. I now realize that even though the incisions are smaller than with my SAH (4 at a little over an inch each) there was a lot more cutting and moving things around than I first thought. I don't know why it is so hard for me to listen to my own body instead of what every one else tells me I should be feeling! When I asked what to expect before this procedure someone responded that I might be a "bit achey in the belly for a couple of days". Boy, was I unprepeared for this!

laurayock, I will tell you this...be prepared for some recovery time. You may ache and be as swollen as after the hyst. Standing for more than a couple of minutes is still impossible and I still take pain pills at least once during the day. BUT...the pain I was having before is gone. I couldn't stretch out in bed or reach above my head. I found myself getting into the weirdest contortions in order to sit comfortably! My lower back was constantly throbbing and my leg spent more time asleep than I did. So far those pains are gone and I hope they stay that way. My prayers are with you. I hope the procedure makes your pain disappear.
Unread 03-22-2004, 06:54 AM
annoying groin pain

Thanks for all the replies. My lap is scheduled Wed. April 7th, and I wont have to go back to work until Tues. April 13th, having the benefit of the long Easter weekend. And of course, I will certainly take more time off if I feel I need it. Since my MRI came up clean, we (my dr and I) are leaning toward the pain being adhesions. I will let everyone know what happens. Thanks again everyone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register