Will abnormal EKG postpone cancer surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will abnormal EKG postpone cancer surgery? Will abnormal EKG postpone cancer surgery?

Unread 02-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Will abnormal EKG postpone cancer surgery?

This is my first time to post. I just found this wonderful, caring site the day before my first visit with gynecological oncologist last Friday (02/13). On 01/29/04 I was diagnosed with grade 1 endometrial cancer and am scheduled for a TAH BSO on 03/03/04. Gyn/onc feels surgery will be only treatment needed. I had gastric bypass surgery last June and have lost 100 lbs since then. I still have about 75 lbs to lose, but will get there. I exercise at Curves for Women 3x week and am in better shape and feel better than I have for 25 years!! (I'm 56). I had to have a pre-op EKG done today and they gave me a copy of the unconfirmed results: "Left anterior fascicular block, sinus rhythm consistent with pulmonary disease" I have no symptoms! No shortness of breath, coughing, chest pain, etc. Since losing weight I can now walk and talk at the same time much to the dismay of some of my friends!! My "normal" pulse before WLS was 96-98; now it's 82. I feel so good; how can i be such a wreck? EKG before Gastric Bypass surgery was normal. My first concern was that cancer was in my lungs!! From checking on internet it appears the Left anterior thing is an electrical conduction thing. But I'm worried that this might postpone my surgery! EKG tech did test by putting leads on underneath my turtleneck and since I had pantihose on she put the leg leads near my waistline!! I have a call into gyn/onc's office but have had no response yet. And I have another question: What is "cancerhead" which I heard mentioned in another post? Thanks so much for being such a positive, caring group of women. Carol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2004, 11:15 AM

Ask the doc to repeat the test, and compare it to the one done before your by-pass surgery. Did a doctor check the leads and the reading ?

Dorrie
Unread 02-19-2004, 11:19 AM

You and I share the same cancer dx. I was dx with endometrial cancer stage 1a grade 2 about 19 months ago.....
Cancerhead is worry over the cancer speading or recurring.....We all have it from time to time and thankfully it lessens considerably after the first year....at least it did for me.
I dont know anything about your ekg results.....but I am sure the dr. will fill you in....I would guess that the likely result of the ekg will be extra monitoring of your heart during and after surgery.
If you have any questions or concerns that I can help you with just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2004, 12:10 PM

The gyn/onc's nurse told me yesterday that the hospital which did the bypass surgery only had a little strip and couldn't send it to them. I would think they would have had a written report however. I just heard from gyn/onc's nurse and she said that I would have to get medical clearance from my primary care physician. His office nurse told me their computers are down and he's out of town until Tuesday! The ekg is supposed to be read tonight by a doctor. The ekg tech had the leads on the wrong side at first! She said, "oh, this is your left and this is your right." Yes, and my stomach is not my leg either!! Now I have to worry about "cancerhead" in addition to my "pillow hair." Thanks for your support and comments!! I'm so glad I found all of you!
Carol - Endometrial Cancer, grade I, TAH-BSO (hopefully on 03/03/04)
Unread 02-19-2004, 12:22 PM

HI Carol,
I had my surgery for endo cancer the end of July. At my pre surgury testing I too had an abnormal EKG. My surgeon referred me to a cardiologist who did an echo cardiogram which showed my heart to be normal. He explained that some EKGs are rejected because they do not fit into certain guide l ines, not because of heart disease My surgery was done at the planned time.
I am sure they will check further, but you have plenty of time.
Good Luck.
Jean
Unread 02-19-2004, 02:48 PM

Hi Carol,

Before my hysterectomy I also had to have medical clearance. I had to have a stress test, ekg, and another heart test. I also had to have a colonoscopy.

I was under the impression that these were done so that the surgeon had the ok or so that there may be things to especially watch out for during surgery.

Keep us up to date.
Rosalie
Unread 02-20-2004, 06:09 AM

Thank you all my "hyster sisters" for your kind thoughts and concerns. I am leaving in a few minutes to see doctor about medical clearance. Of course my regular PCP is out of town so I'm seeing his partner who doesn't know me. It's just so frustrating that last June I had no problems with anything before surgery and now 100 lbs lighter it seems like I'm falling apart! But I feel better than I have for 20 - 25 years!! Instead of being able to mentally prepare for cancer surgery, I'm worrying about whether or not it's going to be postponed! But I'm so glad I have all of you to share my frustrations! It will be 5 weeks from diagnosis until surgery (hopefully) and it just worries me to have to wait longer! But how it helps me to know you all understand my feelings. Thanks from the bottom of my little abnormal heart!! Carol
Unread 02-20-2004, 10:28 AM

I'm thrilled to report that I'm "thrilled to go." My PCP's partner looked at EKG report I took with me and one that had been in my chart from several years ago and he could see no difference. And there is nothing wrong with my lungs either! So, I'm back on for TAH BSO surgery on 03/03/04. Thanks again, my friends, for helping me get through the waiting! Anytime I can return the favor . . . ! Carol
Unread 02-20-2004, 10:29 AM

Oops. I should have reviewed my previous post. That's "good to go." (but I am thrilled)! Carol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register