Maria Coo -UPDATE TUESDAY 24TH ..GOOD NEWS - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Maria Coo -UPDATE TUESDAY 24TH ..GOOD NEWS Maria Coo -UPDATE TUESDAY 24TH ..GOOD NEWS

Unread 02-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Maria Coo -UPDATE TUESDAY 24TH ..GOOD NEWS

Maria & Adrie,

You continue to be remembered in prayer here. Many people have "down days" after surgery--but hopefully the "up days" will win out very soon!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 01:54 PM

Maria and Ardie:

My ers and thoughts are with you today. I hope that your pain is managed, Maria. Ardie, I hope that God gives you strength to help Maria through her difficult times.

When I get back to work next week after our winter break, I'll ask the Sisters of St. Joseph that I work with if they will join the "God Squad" in praying for you!

S and more ers,
Unread 02-21-2004, 04:17 PM
END OF THE DAY SATURDAY/SUNDAY AM

Here is the latest -- and a more positive note -- the God Squads are doing a great job!! (the "sisters" in Adrie's notes is taking on a new perspective!)

Dear Cheryl and Sisters

Glad to tell you that the situation changed for the better today.
Maria sends her love and told me to tell you that she appreciates your love, prayers and hugs a lot. thanks to you all.

Maria is allowed to go out of her bed and sit in a chair for a while, but today she was not very much up to it. We will perform this show tomorrow. Maria herself said that the period she feels best are between 15.00 and 21.00 hours. This is because during the night she is waked up for all kinds of little checks and in the mornings doctors are coming and washing and changing the bed doesn't make her rest very well.
Still in pain of course, but much more controllable today. Maria is allowed to have some porridge of rice flour. Not the best of taste, but it is something.
Also she can eat some bouillon, which she doesn't like at all. So, she doesn't eat it. She drinks a lot of water though.

Tomorrow I want to find out, if I can find her something tasty from outside the hospital. There must be something Maria likes she can eat to start the digestion again without many problems.

There is maybe not much to report today, bat at least it is good news.

Each day Better and Better

Be blessed,
Adrie

blessings to all who've been replying. I'll check in later to gather the Sunday posts to send off.
g'night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 04:34 PM

What a wonderful piece of news! We'll all be in that room, from all over the world, when Maria sits up in her chair tomorrow!

Hospitals are all alike, no matter where they are. They wake you up out of a sound sleep to see how you feel! I remember being in a very deep sleep, the second night after my surgery, and suddenly being wakened as all the ceiling lights went on in the room. A group of residents had come in to look at my roommate (I guess they were having a class?) and then they looked at me and said, "Oh, sorry..." "It's ok, I was just sleeping", I said.

Anyway, Maria, we're cheering for you! And for you, too, Adrie!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-21-2004, 05:16 PM

I am very relieved and happy to hear this news. I pray that tomorrow will be another day of progress for Maria.

I have found that hospitals are a terrible place to try to rest or sleep. They aren't designed for that but appear to be designed for the ease of staff, not the patient. While I was in the hospital overnight a doctor came to speak to my roommate at 5:00 AM. The doctor woke her up for an consultation that could easily have waited until mornning. My roommate was not a native English speaker so the doctor's solution was not to speak more slowly, but to speak more loudly. She was virtually screaming at the poor woman. I finally set up in bed and asked if this couldn't be done at some other hour. The doctor said 'no, this is the most convenient time for me because I am here on another emergency'! I couldn't believe she had so little regard for her patient and for me. I suppose the attitude of hospital personel is 'if I'm awake, why shouldn't everyone else be also?' As much as we (and our insurance companies) pay for the hospital, we might expect to at least be allowed to get some rest and to be allowed to sleep at night!

Ok, that's my rant for the day! I hope that Marie has a better experience in the days to come and gets some much needed rest!

Janie
Unread 02-21-2004, 05:25 PM

Dear Maria and Adrie,
I am so happy you are feeling better. Sleeping in a hospital is hard, but it will really make you savor waking up back at home in your own bed. I was not allowedfor 6 days after my exenteration and then began on a liquid diet. Once I got on real food I actually enjoyed the hospital food, except the de caf coffee, but a king nurse used to sneak into the staff lounge and get me the real stuff. Every day you will bet better and better now YEAH!
Unread 02-21-2004, 05:35 PM
Maria and Adrie

There will be days with those "dips" but more days that will be good and take you to recovery. Sitting up and drinking is a big step and Adrie, you're a special man if you're thinking of real food for her! Hospital "food" is my biggest complaint. When I had my last surgery, I had no rest overnight. They checked me and my roommate every hour until midnight for me and 3 a.m. for her. I started to sleep...no, it was 4 a.m. and time to check me! I never did sleep but I did ask for all the pain meds I could get--and you should ask too. The pain memory does diminish but when it's happening it's awful. That morning, with the hospital dietary computer knowing I hate eggs and need decaf coffee, plus due to low white counts not being able to eat fresh fruit or vegetables, I got a pile of scrambled eggs, regular coffee, a cup of fresh fruit and a piece of cold dry toast (no butter) thrown on the eggs. I gave up. I explained and sent it back. I got--a custard filled chocolate donut, nothing to drink, and the same cup of fresh fruit. That's when I broke out of the place. As for prayers, I put you in the prayer book at church tonight.
Unread 02-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Dear Maria and Adrie, Please know that while I have not written again till now, you have remained in my thoughts and prayers. I recently learned my big sister is facing a difficult illness so my time on this site has been limited and I now just was able to read your updates Adrie. I am so glad to learn that Maria is making progress despite some minor setbacks which I see she bravely has overcome. As is the nature of this beast, progress can be slow and with hills and valleys but always the sun peaks out behind any dark clouds. Maria you are a real trooper.
I hope they have now gotten the pain under better control, if not, Maria please complain since busy hospital personnel often only will listen only to the "louder" ones. I am waiting to hear more news of your steady progress. Please be assured that your many "sisters" will be there in spirit when you decide to sit up in your chair, so warn the nurses to be walk carefully when they enter your room. I know our good Lord will continue to comfort and give you both strength as well as guide Maria's doctors in their care of her. I am sending you manys and blessings, peggiesue
PS: Adrie, it is great that you plan to get Maria something she likes to eat. Please do it even if you have to sneak it in! Of couse I know you will check with the doctors as to what is best for her digestion now, etc. Take good care of yourself too so you can continue being there 100 percent for Maria.
Unread 02-21-2004, 08:34 PM

I love that expression, "The God Squads" are hard at work
praying for you, Maria and Adrie. You have touched so many
people's hearts from different countries and different religions!!
I am also praying for you!!!
As you read above, many of us can relate to being
up several times during the night for medical checks.
It was WONDERFUL to get home for some rest!! When I came
home from surgery, I was so ill and vomiting from the general
anesthesia, then the morphine pump, and finally the pain pills.
I ended up in ER with three bags of IV fluids from all of the vomiting. My then next door neighbor was from Singapore (I am from the U.S.), and she made me porridge. It was so bland, but
it really helped me! My stomach became settled, and I was
able to keep it down. That really was the turning point for
me in my initial recovery.
I am praying that each day will continue to get better for you!
Unread 02-22-2004, 12:50 AM

Maybe tapioca pudding or chocolate pudding would go down smoothly . . . and be yummier than "rice flour porridge," which doesn't sound all that wonderful. On the bright side, perhaps you will lose some weight! ;-) Always a nice byproduct of a hospital stay, though I of course don't even know if you want to lose any weight. (I've been struggling with the same 20 pounds for years.)

When I was in the hospital, I refused the food most of the time (because it was so bad) and took to asking the nurses to bring me four apple juices.

Glad you're doing better! Sitting up should start to help the healing process, but I suspect it will be a bit of a chore. So sorry that you're not getting any sleep, but as others here have said, that's so typical.

We're all thinking of you, dear Maria! Many s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register