Chemo question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Chemo question Chemo question

Unread 02-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Chemo question

I recently had a TAH at which time a cancerous tumor was removed along with my uterus, ovaries, etc. All lymphnodes tested negative. I was advised by my gyn/onc that no further treatment was needed at this time. I am a breast cancer survivor and uterine cancer was most likely caused by Tamoxifen. My question is this: With breast cancer even when nodes are negative they often recommend chemo as a precaution to catch any cancer which may have been missed since just a sampling of the nodes is taken. Why do they not do the same with uterine cancer? Has anyone tested negative nodes with uterine cancer and still been recommended for chemo? I certainly don't relish the thought of chemo, but I just want to do everything possible to make sure it's ALL GONE!
Bettye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Chemo question

Hi, Chattylady.

I read a medical transcript earlier today that said that uterine cancer is a very fast-growing cancer. If yours was contained within the confines of a tumor, it sounds like that might be a good situation. If your doctor says no chemo is required, and that is the consensus of the medical team at your hospital, then they are probably correct.

Chemo is no picnic. If they are giving you a choice, and recommending the chemo, then it is something you will want to consider. In general, chemo is often recommended for cancers that do not have any lymph node involvement. But I can't speak to your specific cancer or what treatment is recommended for it.

I've not personally heard of Tamoxifen contributing to uterine cancer. Is this something that's known?
Unread 02-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Hi

Don't forget you can always get a second opinion if you're not certain. It'd put your mind at ease and with two "no" votes you could relax--or with a "yes" you could weigh all options and make a really personal informed decision. I do believe I've heard that Tamoxifen ups the uterine risk. And today I read that hormone replacement may double a risk of Alzhheimer's--when a while ago it was supposed to help protect from that. It's always changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Chemo question

Uterine cancer is a known side effect of Tamoxifen. It doesn't happen real often, but it does occur occasionally, and I'm one of the lucky chosen few! That's why they always recommend that anyone on Tamoxifen get regular Paps and check-ups with their ob-gyn. My breast cancer had lymph node involvement so I had chemo with it. However, I had a friend who had breast cancer about the same time as me with no lymph node involvement (that they found), and she had chemo too. Unfortunately, she passed away about a year ago which I thought was so tragic and ironic. Here, I thought she was the "lucky" one because they said her nodes were negative and was envious that her prognosis was much better than mine. This just proved to me how unpredicable cancer can be and you should never "assume" that you're completely cured. I sure thought when this uterine cancer came up that the "other" shoe had finally dropped on me.
Unread 02-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Chemo question

Hi Betty,

Sorry you are going thru this. I am going to assume and hopefully I am right that the doctor you are seeing is an oncologist/gynocologist.

I had a different kind of cancer than you have. I had ovarian cancer but my lymph nodes, luckily, were clear also. However, chemo was still recommended for any minute particles that may be lingering.

Seek another opinion if you are unsure.

Rosalie
Unread 02-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Chemo question

Rosalie,
Yes, I saw an onc/gyn at a major metropolitan medical center who did my surgery and he's the one who advised that no chemo or radiation was needed at this time. Also, my regular onc who treated me for my breast cancer reviewed my pathology report and she told me the same thing so, in essence, I have received the same opinion twice. They took a whole lot of nodes from a bunch of different places and all were negative (as were my ovaries, tubes, etc.). In fact, my regular onc told me that the grade my cancer received was the lowest I could receive next to being benign so that's good! I guess I'm just paranoid since my body has now betrayed me twice now with two different kinds of cancer. Bettye

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register