tummy tuck? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2004, 01:56 PM
tummy tuck?

I'm scheduled for surgery the 8th of March. Does anyone know if the Doc can do a tummy tuck at the same time? And if so, Can anyone share their experience? Thanks

dazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 03:24 PM
tummy tuck?

I have no clue but I sure wish I would have asked my gyn if it could be done. If so, I would've had a plastic surgeon at the ready. Ask your doc.

tah 12/22/04
Unread 02-21-2004, 03:40 PM
tummy tuck?

Hi sister,
There were several docs in my home town who coordinated tummy tucks with a hysterectomy. I tried to do this but was told due to the size of my fibroids that I had to have a vertical incision. A tummy tuck is a lot more difficult to do this way verses a bikini cut.

Keep in mind that insurance does not cover this proceedure and it was going to cost me $5,000.00 out of pocket. I was also told that my total combined surgery would take around 4 hours and I would have had a lot more sutures. I feel fine about not doing it now and will just concentrate on diet and exercise!
Good Luck on your search

Mafalee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 03:45 PM
tummy tuck?

For what's its worth, I jokingly asked my DR about it and he responded seriously because apparently its not an uncommon request.

According to him, the tummy tuck takes longer than the hyst and it puts undue stress on your body to be out that long. Also said it makes recovery longer. While he never recommends it, he has done it, obviously working in conjunction with a plastic surgeon.

I think I've read where some sisters have had this done, so I hope one of them responds.

Best of luck -
Unread 02-21-2004, 06:24 PM
tummy tuck?

When I found out that I needed to have a hysterectomy I began checking the internet for all kinds of information and I ran across the idea then to think about having a tummy tuck at the same time. I called my DR immediately and brought up the idea......his response.......many of his patients have been very pleased with their results and now was the time to do it since I had a was having a TAH.
MY OUTCOME......I am so happy I had it done!!!!! I basically got to the point that the hysterectomy was just the nuisance part....I was looking forward to the tummy tuck (since I had a large apron of excess skin) My insurance didn't pay for it.....but since I have been able to tuck my shirts into my pants for months now.....it was soooooooo worth it.
Another thing.....since my GYN has released me I am still having semi-regular appts with my PS so I feel like I have someone to talk with about things that occasionally pop up.
I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-21-2004, 06:34 PM
tummy tuck?

Hi,

I had the same experience as surfchick - asked about it jokingly to be told that yes, gyno has done it with an associate plastic surgeon BUT - the stress it places on your body is very severe & she didn't recommend it.

My surgery was over 2 hours with the hyst & endo as it was - would have been hours more with a tuck.

Hope this helps - some ladies here have positive comments though.

Cate
Unread 02-22-2004, 04:31 PM
tummy tuck?

Hi,
I had read about the tummy tucks on here and told dh that I was going to get my dr to give me a mini-tuck! LOL
I had had 3 c-sections and for whatever reason they started just above the other incision on one side then continued into the old incision. It wasn't a real noticeable problem, but I made the dr believe that it really was. He did a scar version. He just cut out the sections of old scar nice and straight and then closed me up. The other nice thing about it was he did not use staples nor stitches, I was stitched inside and he used the skin glue and steri-strips on my abdomen. It looks nice and neat and I jokingly say I had a mini-tuck because of it. I am 5wks post-op and still waiting for the tenderness to go away. The muscular pain I have is very bothersome, but can't wait til the swelly belly goes away to see how nice the incision will be!
Unread 02-22-2004, 04:49 PM
tummy tuck?

I also joked about it as I have lost 50+ lbs before surgery and have had 3 children. I told him to tuck where he could!! Needless to say, he did not. Now I have this huge overhang due to the swelling and on the sides too. I did not have this on the sides before surgery. I hope it is just due to the swelling and will go away. I was not expecting that after surgery. My incision is healed completely on the outside, but the inside is still very tender. Hope that is gone too before going back to work.

My boss had her tummy tuck about 6 months before her hyst and was very pleased to know that nothing was messed up due to her hyst. They worked on her for awhile after the fact trying to put everything back like it was. She looks really good and was pleased how the doctor fixed her back up!
Unread 02-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Swelly Sides

Hi, Dyanmclain -

Oh my goodness! Your post could have been written by me "Now I have this huge overhang due to the swelling and on the sides too. I did not have this on the sides before surgery. I hope it is just due to the swelling and will go away. I was not expecting that after surgery. My incision is healed completely on the outside, but the inside is still very tender. Hope that is gone too before going back to work. "

This is EXACTLY what is going on with me. Although we don't know how to fix it, it really helped me to know that someone else was experiencing the same thing.

Thanks to you and to the Hyster Sisters site.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register