Preparation to aid recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preparation to aid recovery Preparation to aid recovery

Unread 02-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Preparation to aid recovery

I have a few months before my TVH and am starting to think about how to prepare to help me recover quickly and easily.
So far, I know I should prepare and freeze some meals and have plenty of peppermint tea in. Any other advice would be gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2004, 01:44 PM

I will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow. Everyone is different, but I credit my fairly smooth recovery (just a few minor bumps in the road) with getting all the exercise I could in the one month notice I had - including sit ups...tried to drop a few lbs. anticpating the inactivity that goes with recovery (no weight gain, have stayed the same)
Getting the digestive track and bowels working was my biggest challenge - get your favorite high fiber cereal and plan to eat alot of it, raisins, apples, etc. Chemicals like stool softeners did not work for me. Also, to get the "good bacteria" in the tract on level after some antibiotics I took for a bladder infection, cottage cheese and yogurt helped.
The only thing that worked on the pain killer related nausea was celery tea (Boil 2 stalks with leaves in 4 cups water for 10 minutes) or regular old black tea made with hot gingerale.
And books, lots of books to keep you from wanting to move around too much - other than the walks about the house.
Good Luck.
Unread 02-22-2004, 04:25 PM

I agree, get your stamina UP as far as possible, go in, in the best shape you can. This may help with the post op fatigue.. Also try to go in as healthy as you can...

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Hey Janci,

I had a TAH on January 14. To prepare, I bought magazines, books, comfy PJ's and velour sweatsuits. Try to take care of yourself, exercise and eat healthy to prepare.

Take Care,

Jenn
Unread 02-22-2004, 04:36 PM

Hi Janci - I agree w/Fair Lady, especially the comfy clothes. Mine was done abdominally, and the "swelly belly" condition has caused me some frustration about what to wear. I'm small/average size. I find that the only comfy pants are ones with minimal, loose elastic or no elastic at all and only a drawstring. But remember we're all different as far as how our bodies respond to surgery. I just wish I had bought more clothes beforehand.

I have kept a positive, patient attitude and it has helped me tremendously. When I worried about my recovery before my surgery, I told myself, "whatever happens, I'll deal with it" and I have!

Take care,
Unread 02-23-2004, 11:23 PM
preparation

Hi Janci and other ladies,
Here are some things I did to prepare for my surgery:

*I talked with other ladies who had the surgery and made use of hystersisters

*I went for counselling (I had lots of issues to resolve as I had the surgery at the age of 22)

*I did my best to resolve any family tensions that may interfere with my recovery

*I learned all I could about the procedure

*I stocked up on entertainment -- jigsaw puzzles, books, craft projects

*I purchased some flexible straws (these are excellent for when you're drinking fluids in bed -- they spare you from spilling all over your chest)

*I bought a new pair of slippers

*I bought a particularly comfortable, roomy outfit

*I went to my family doctor and had my regular medications refilled, as I didn't know how long I would be at home before I even felt like going out, even if it's to the doctor

*I made my bed with comfortable linens, pillows, etc. I also put one of those egg shell type foamies beneath my sheets -- I recommend it for everyone

*I go for regular chiropractic treatments, and I went for one the day before my surgery, as I knew it would be awhile before resuming treatment again.

*I "collected" items that I thought may be helpful during my recovery and stored them under my bed. Some things that I found particularly useful were a basin (good for brushing teeth in bed if you're too tired to get up), wet wipes (baby wipes are suitable), a lap desk (this is a smooth, hard surface with a piece of foam beneath it, designed for activities such as writing in the car, in bed, etc.)

*I stocked up on Gravol and Tylenol. Just because you didn't feel nauseated in the castle, doesn't mean it won't happen at home.

*I stocked up on comfort foods and foods that are easily digested.

*I checked my email, and deleted all unnecessary items, as I did not want it to overfill, thereby preventing messages from entering, should I not feel up to checking my email for an extended period of time.

I hope this helps! Best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register