Anybody using estrogen after cancer diagnosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody using estrogen after cancer diagnosis? Anybody using estrogen after cancer diagnosis?

Unread 02-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Anybody using estrogen after cancer diagnosis?

Hi everybody,
I am wondering if anyone out there is using any type of estrogen by doctor prescription after treated for cancer especially endometrial cancer. If you are using, did your doctor prescribe it without any reservation? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2004, 05:31 PM

I'm not on any HRT because of endo cancer. No soy supplements, either. I would tend not to do HRT even if there had not been a cancer diagnosis, actually.

Other than some hot flashes, I've had no complaints. And the flashes have greatly subsided.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-22-2004, 05:52 PM

Hi,
I am sorry for being so direct but don't you have vaginal dryness problem if you are not using estrogen? What are you using if you have the dryness problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2004, 05:57 PM

It's best to check w/your doctor since everyone is different. But I know that a lot of people just use K-Y Jelly which you can get over the counter.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
on estrogen

I'm on the Climara patch, after a diagnosis of both cervical and uterine (uterine was stage 1).
My Doctor did not hesitate, he actually was the one that prescribed it and encouraged it. I am only 29 though, so that may have made a difference too.
I am only at the 3 1/2 week mark, and my husband and I have "played", and no vaginal dryness at all!
Unread 02-22-2004, 06:51 PM

Hi,
Thank you so much for your replies. My doctor is same. He is ready to prescribe anything I want since I am 37.
Unread 02-22-2004, 08:32 PM

I was 37 (now 38) when my doctor prescribed HRT after cancer. But my cancer was not endometrial. I know that HRT is often prescribed after certain cancers, but I do not personally know anything about what is and isn't done when someone had endometrial cancer.

I went without hormones for about five months, but I feel much better (and more like a girl) on the hormones. I would do some research, though, before I made any decisions, since you have a different cancer.

Good luck with all of this!
Unread 02-23-2004, 03:23 AM
hrt

Hiya

After my ops i was put on two low dose estradial patches a week (ov ca stage 1a grade1) but when i started seeing a gyn/onc he told me to come off it. Since then my joints ache, my hair is thinning, i get very tired and have no enegy so i told my gyn/onc i would like to use one patch every two weeks. He said i was taking a risk but i feel im living again! It just gives me a little boost. He has no problems with estradial vaginal cream once a week. Hope this helps.

Sheila
Unread 02-23-2004, 06:30 AM

My gynecologic-oncologist was adamant that with my endometrial cancer history he would not prescribe any type of ERT or HRT for me. He felt that doing so would increase the risk of a recurrence in my particular case.

It will be five years in May since I had my surgery. I have no menopausal symptoms whatsoever, and my hair and skin are the same as they were before surgery. I exercise daily, have no joint pain, and have more energy than before my cancer surgery. I did experience some vaginal dryness for a while after surgery and radiation. I used Vitamin E and KY-Silky as needed, and no longer experience the problem.

Best regards,

MoeKay
Unread 02-23-2004, 06:46 AM

Yellow rose:

My onc would not prescribe HRT for me after surgery, but I had already gone through menopause. I found, however, that vaginal dryness and more importantly vaginal and urethral area pain was a BIG problem. We had a long discussion about it and he suggested Premarin cream in the vaginal area (I had actually used this prior to surgery for similar symptoms). Little is absorbed and you can reduce the dose to as little as necessary to ease the symptoms.

I now use just a little dab 3Xweek and it controls all the symptoms. No pain unless I miss a dose, then I feel it coming back when we have sex.

I was Stage 1B, Grade 2 endometrial cancer.

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register