swollen abdomen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

swollen abdomen swollen abdomen

Unread 02-24-2004, 03:28 PM
swollen abdomen

I am 6 1/2 weeks post op and still have a swollen abdomen. I am average build and did not have a large abdomen prior to surgery, I was almost flat. Since the surgery my abdomen has been large. I still have my right ovary and can tell a slightly larger difference on this side. I started back to work last Thursday; I have a sit down job. By Friday, my abdomen had swelled up to my naval. Saturday the swelling had gone back to normal. A friend told me to wear a girdle. I purchased one that weekend and have now worn it for two days. It has helped with any further swelling, however, it has not helped with the swelling I already had. What I really am wondering, is their anyone out there who is experiencing a large abdomen with no significant change over several weeks time. I am beginning to worry that I will always be this way. Please, someone give me some encouragement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2004, 07:14 PM
swollen abdomen

I'm 4 mos post op TAH and I still get swelly belly. I'm a petite person and my belly is pretty small normally but at times it justs swells up then deflates again. My doctor said it may do that for about 6 mos. Take care.
Unread 02-24-2004, 07:55 PM
swollen abdomen

Dear pouchy gal,

renee is exactly right! Your healing process can go on for about 6 months, but it will be over eventually. I know it's hard to be patient with recovery in major surgery, but you had loads done inside you, and it will take time. Also remember that the swelling is a reaction of healing tissues to your resuming normal activities. It took me several months to quit swelling, as I recall.

Interestingly, prolonged sitting, such as you do at your job, can put added stress on the healing tissues and cause swelling as well. Cut yourself lots of slack and continue to pamper yourself for awhile! Put your feet up when you get home, if possible.

My very best to you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2004, 11:30 PM
swollen abdomen

I'm now at 7 months post, and still have days that my belly swells and gets very sore around the incision site. To make matters worse, the nerves below the incision have started to regenerate and can be like an electric shock from time to time I also experince soreness in the pubic area where it has been numb for the last 6 months. I do daily weight & resistance training as well as walking (4-5 miles per day) and my belly hasn't really changed at all since the surgery (I suppose it has shrunken a wee bit). I find that wearing briefs with good lycra support helps hold it in and keep it from swelling and if I don't wear the support when I excercise or walk I notice an increase in the swelling. I've got to the point where I don't worry about it anymore it's just part of me and will be with me forever or heal and go away on its own time.
Take Care
Billee
Unread 02-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Thanks a million

Thanks to all the lovely ladies who responded to my post. Your encourgement and advice has eased my mind. Even though I've been told it will take much time to heal, I still worry that I am going to be pouchy forever. My husband told me last night that if I stay this way it will be okay, I will remain sexy to him anyway. Again, thanks so much for responding to me.
Unread 02-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Keep him!

pouchy gal,

I think your hubby is a real "keeper!"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register