The Passion Of THe Christ... - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Passion Of THe Christ... The Passion Of THe Christ...

Unread 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Talking - The Passion Of THe Christ... The Passion Of THe Christ...

i thought long and hard about this and i asked my self the same thing before i saw it.But...This movie is reaching people who would NEVER darken the doors of a church for any reason.God can and will use ANY thing,any person,any means necessary to get His message out.I am glad that Mel Gibson will make quite a bit of money out of this.To me, it is no different than someone singing and making a record and getting the royalties off of that.I believe Mel sought out God about this and prayed about it.If God didn't want this movie made He could have stopped it in a number of different ways.I think he was and is sincere in his personal beliefs about God and this is one way of God blessing him.If just one person gets saved and develops a relationship with Jesus because of this movie and never ever has to see hell,then i honestly believe all the money spent,and made will be worth it.Another thing i don't understand is that if he made it just to make money off of it,then that was a big gamble because of the money he,out of his own pocket, invested and for the fact everyone he took it to,turned him down.Why would he spend so much of his own money to make something that nobody would want to produce? Like i said before i hope he makes alot and then gives it back to God(more movies,missions work,charites)anything that glorifies God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 04:33 AM
The Passion Of THe Christ...

I think if the interests of making this movie were so pure, the revenue would be going to the church, feeding the poor or some other worthy cause, not lining someones pocket. I am sorry, but I do not think the ends justifies the means. Only the purest of intentions should be used to teach the word of God. Christians ask themselfselves all the time. "What would Jesus do?" I certainly can not picture Jesus making a buck off his story.
Just my humble opinion.
Unread 03-18-2004, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LibbyS
I think if the interests of making this movie were so pure, the revenue would be going to the church, feeding the poor or some other worthy cause, not lining someones pocket. I am sorry, but I do not think the ends justifies the means. Only the purest of intentions should be used to teach the word of God. Christians ask themselfselves all the time. "What would Jesus do?" I certainly can not picture Jesus making a buck off his story.
Just my humble opinion.
I truly understand what you are trying to say. And I might have thought the same way myself at one time.

But, this movie brought the story of Jesus to life. So many people and hearts have been forever changed by seeing it--including my own.

I believe God wanted this movie to be made. If no one could make money off Jesus' story, then not even Bible's could be sold.

Have you seen the movie? I ask because it is such a visual picture of the story we've all heard in Sunday School, shown in such a way as to make you leave the theater "knowing" that you just witnessed everything our Lord Jesus did for us.

This is just my opinion. With love,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2004, 08:38 AM

Hi MoonChime,
I am glad that you found the movie to be a positive experience.

No I have not seen the movie. I made a decision not to be a hypocrite by going to see it. Personally I do not feel anyone should be making a buck off selling bibles either.

I do not need to view actors depicting Jesus' death on a movie screen to "get the picture" in my head. To me it is just an emotional marketing manipulation to make money. Of course Christians everywhere will flock to see it over and over again. It will be interesting to see how much this flick makes in the long run.
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Smile - The Passion Of THe Christ... The Passion Of THe Christ...

i wonder why when we christians try to "give" Bibles away nobody takes them?but...they will go out and buy one? If there were no charge to see this movie and he made no money off of it then people would say he was trying to be "holier than thou" and trying to get attention for himself.The Bible says that you will know a tree by the fruit that it bears and who am i to judge why he made this movie?Who am i to judge about the money made off of this movie.I agree,i do not think he should just hoard it up for himself but neither do i think he has no right to make any money off of it.This is how he makes his living.People for years have tried to give Bibles away,give shirts away,tapes,cd's,etc.that have to do with Jesus and people look at them (us) like they (we) are crazy.but you make a movie and then people flock to see it and they don't care to pay.I wonder why? I don't feel like a hypocrite and it really bothers me when people who have NOT seen this movie call those of us who have hypoctrites.I am sorry if i offend anyone but is it not hypocritcal to blast something you have not even seen yourself.If this movie were mocking Jesus and his death i could understand.but once you have seen it, you realize that this movie is reaching people who have never wanted anything to do with Jesus before and that is what is important.It is interesting to read everybody's opinion on this and even though we don't all agree it is nice that we live in a country that we can agree to disagree.i hope that those who are so against it will change their mind and go see it and appreciate why Mel Gibson made this to begin with.If you watched is interviews prior to the release i know that you saw that he was sincere in why he made this movie.He felt this was what God wanted him to do and i can't judge him on that.Only God knows the motivation behind it.God gives and God can take away if our hearts and motives are not pure.This was(is) Mr.Gibsons way of telling the world what God has done for him.Bravo! He will make quite abit i think i heard on Fox News that after it is through and the DVD's have been released and Cd's and everyone has been paid his take will be around $200 million. Is this any different than Michael W. Smith or other singers making a CD and it going gold and them making millions off of that? This is what God has blessed them to do,it is how they make their living and yes most give back to God and God continues to bless them. i hope i haven't made anyone mad,this is just close to my heart and i am so glad someone in "hollywood" had enough guts about them to make a movie like this that is so real and factual and truthful.thanks-janette
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LibbyS

No I have not seen the movie. I made a decision not to be a hypocrite by going to see it. Personally I do not feel anyone should be making a buck off selling bibles either.

I don't want to stir the pot any, but are you making that statement accross the board? Do you celebrate the Christmas season by buying gifts? The Easter season by making baskets? Do you have a Bible that someone gave to you, or did you buy it?
Should Christian business cease because they are selling Christian services including books, Bibles and gifts? We are called to be in the world but not OF it. We are IN the world and some of us make our living in the Christian "market". We have to live and living is expensive. I believe it is a matter of PERSONAL conviction weather you do any of these things. Perhaps we should not be so quick to judge given the matter of PERSONAL conviction. Ultimatley, we are only accountable to 1 and 1 only, and that is God.

(p.s.- I'm surely NOT getting rich by working in the Christian arena)
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:22 AM

janette,
Sweety I was not calling you a hypocrite. I was referring to myself. If I am against them making a buck off this movie and then go see it that would make me a hypocrite.

I am happy for you that you saw the movie and it was a positive experience for you.

hugs to you
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:39 AM

i didn't take it personally,really.i have heard ALOT of people,even ones that i know say the same thing but in reference to me and the others who have seen it. I do hope that you will change your mind though,because it is ,while i hate to use the word "good", a good movie.I mean it is awful what he went through but the movie itself is done in such a way that you feel as if you are there.Does that make sense? i am sorry if i offended you,i am really a "peacemaker".i hate conflict and i tend to let people walk over me.i very rarely assert myself unless it comes to my kids or husband and now this. Thanks for replying.
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:41 AM

Lamb and Lion,
I only stated my opinion for myself, and gave the reasons I did not go see the movie. Like you said, we all have to decide for ourselves the code we live by and we answer to one.
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:47 AM

Janette,
you did not offend me in the least. We were just having a discussion. Thanks for writing back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register