Cauterization | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cauterization Cauterization

Unread 02-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Cauterization

Wow, I had no idea this message board was here. I posted a thread yesterday on the post op board and someone replied and told me about this message board. I am very grateful because this is exactly where I need to be. It's been almost a yr. and a half since my TAH for painful and severe bleeding and fibroid tumors. I've always noticed a little brownish discharge from time to time. It took me the longest to realized it was blood. Now it's red and I have to wear a sanitary napkin everyday. It's almost like a light menstrual period. I also see blood after having sex. I went to the Dr. yesterday and he said that when he sewed my vagina sometimes a piece of skin (flesh) will come through and this is why I am seeing blood. So I have to have a procedure to burn off the piece of skin called cauterization. What I can't understand is, why am I also having pelvis pain? It feels kind of like cramps. I brought this to my doctors attention and he said I shouldn't be having any pain but I am!!!!!! I feel like he's not taking me seriously. Between the blood and the pelvis pain I feel like I'm having a menstrual cycle. Accept this time it's not severe. My pre-op appt. with my Dr. is March 3rd and he's going to do the surgery on Thursday, March 11th. He says it's a simple procedure. Has any of my fellow sisters had this procedure done? How will I feel afterwards? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Cauterization

Hi & welcome to The Road
I'm sorry your suffering complications that bought you here but glad you found us!! It has been of such a huge source of comfort & understanding being able to share with other ((gals)) going thru similar issues as well
I've never had the Cauterization but had the Silver Nitrate treatments done at 7 weeks Post-op...luckily, it cleared up the tissue in my case. There have been many women thru here that have had the same treatment done as you are facing. I'm sure they will drop by and share!
I did want to share the following links with you:

Granulation
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=125778

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=95978

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=114328

They are posts from others here who experienced Granulation Tissue as well Perhaps their experiences can be of some help to you?!?
Good Luck!!I do hope this will finally bring you some relief to your pain & bleeding Pls keep us posted & let us know how it went...(((hugs)))
Unread 02-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Cauterization

Not sure if your doc is doing something different than mine as you have to go for preop. I was electrocauterized yesterday for the third time (I am a little over 9 months post op) It isn't pleasant but it doesn't take that long. My appointment was at 8:00 and I was on my way home by 8:30. You may have a little bleeding or brown discharge after and some cramping but not as bad as my periods used to be. I just hope that's the last time for me. My doctor had forgotten me and was trying to tell me one treatment would do it because it was different than the silver nitrate treatment (I had a bunch of those too). Then I reminded him it was my third time and so he sent some tissue away for biopsy and said he probably should see me in his office again in 3 weeks or so. I am ready to get off the merry-go-round already. I hope one treatment does it for you, I think I am just a weird case. Glad you found the boards they can be a real life saver when the rest of the world is tired of our girl troubles. There is always support here. Good luck. Henri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Cauterization

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. My doctor attempted to do this cauterization procedure in his office but it was much too painful. I was much too tender. He put the spectrum in and it was a little uncomfortable but when he put that utensil in with a cotton ball on the end of it, I just about came off the table. So I have to go to the hospital where he will perform the procedure while I am asleep. Thank god! I didn't know that it could come back. I thought a little burning and that would stop the blood for good. I can't imagine haiving it done again. I just want it to be over and done with. Thanks for including the threads of other sisters who have gone through what I'm going through. I have a question what is granulation and silver nitrate?.
Unread 02-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Cauterization

Hi Henri,

I'm so sorry that you have had to have this procedure done 3 times. I really hope this is it for you. Thanks for the valuable information. You know, the doctors only tell you so much.. I sure wish I had known about this website before I had my TAH. I'm glad I do now. I feel at home here.
Unread 02-27-2004, 07:41 AM
Cauterization

I'm sorry it was so painful for you Asleep will be nice I do hope the one treatment will take care of this for you...I've got my fingers & toes crossed that it will!!

Quote:
I have a question what is granulation and silver nitrate?.
Granulation or Granuloma is tissue that forms at a wound site...it is unhealed tissue. Silver Nitrate is a topical cream that can promote the healing of that tissue. When my Dr applied it on my cuff, it burned quite abit but luckily didnt last long!
Here are a couple more links & info on Granulation & the use of Silver Nitrate. Hopefully, this will explain it better:

Quote:
My doctor said that I had granular tissue and that it was perfectly normal. However, this tissue is still present and I keep having to go in for follow-up visits to see how this is progressing. How long can does this take to heal? My doctor said it could go on for months. Also, isn't the granular tissue present during the healing process? If so, why is my insides taking so long to heal?
Answer: _
Of course there is going to be variation in management among different physicians. Granulation tissue is a normal healing process after surgery, including the vaginal cuff after hysterectomy. I don't know that it requires very close follow-up in the absence of symptoms such as bleeding, but I would defer to your doctor's call for regular follow-up. Everyone heals at different rates, but most vaginal cuffs heal fairly quickly after hysterectomy, even when the cuff is left open to heal (which is a common way to perform a hysterectomy). You may want to pose your excellent questions to your gynecologist for his or her input.

http://www.obgyn.net/ah/ah.asp?page=/ah/ATE_0201
Granulation

SILVER NITRATE

Hope this helps
Good Luck with your treatment! Pls let us know how it goes.....(((hugs)))
Unread 02-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Cauterization

Hi Sistagal

You are lucky to be asleep for the procedure. The first two times at the hospital were not as bad as this last one. I couldn't have taken much more. On the other hand, I've had it done so many times I would be in a permanent anesthetic fog if they put me to sleep ever time they did the procedure. Perhaps while you are asleep they can really do a thorough job. If I need to have it done again I'll be tempted to ask about having it done while I'm under, although you are probably there for a bit longer. Please post after you have had it done and let me know how it goes. I'll say a prayer for you. Henri
Unread 02-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Cauterization

((((Sistagal)))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. Hopefully, the cauterization will do the trick.

I was just wondering, since you mentionned having cramps, if you kept your ovaries? I kept mine and I am still cycling and, some months, I fully expect to have a full period, the cramping is so bad!!! It almost feels like it would be a relief to have a flow

I did need cauterization for a bit of granulation. It was during my post-op and it was done right in the doctor's office. In my case, there was no pain involved. However, there was no skin protruding, just a bit unhealed tissue.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that things improve for you after the procedure is done.
Unread 03-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Cauterization

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences on cauterization by silver nitrate. This post and a few others have really helped me to identify some of my post-cauterization symptoms.

I'm a whole 7 years post-op, and started getting some granulation--yuck, thought I'd dodged that bullet!

Anyway, 3 weeks ago, the gynecologist found a wad of tissue in the vault. She snipped it (that hurt!!), biopsied it out. Then she applied silver nitrate. The whole thing wasn't too comfortable, and I had cramping for several days afterward.

It kept bleeding, though. We don't know why...could have that there was a bit of endometrial tissue mixed in with the granulation that was awakened when I used some estrogen cream applied to the wound to help it heal.

Second time I went in for it was yesterday. I learned my lesson, and did some yoga/pelvic stretchy exercises before going in, and tried to relax as much as possible...which sort of helped the pain. The spot was definitely smaller.

I get headaches and cramps after these sessions and sort of an acidy feeling...with the weird silver discharge that shows the stuff is cauterizing the blood vessels in the tissues.

We're discontinuing the estrogen cream to see if that helps the healing.

I go back in about 2 and a half weeks and hopefully that will be that last time. My pelvis is saying leave me the heck alone!

I'd like to say I'm not a doctor, and this message describes my opinions and experiences and isn't meant as a diagnosis or medical advice.

Laura
Unread 03-12-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm home the hospital

well I had my surgery for granulation tissue yesterday at noon. Everything went well. I'm home today and I feel great! I don't have any cramping or bleeding There was some blood on the sanitary napkin the dr. put in place after surgery but thats about it. My throat has been really sore from the tube they inserted during the surgery. They said it might be. It feels better after I pop a couple of tynenols. My Dr. wants to see me next week for a follow-up. I'm anxious to know what he found or saw. Anyways, thanks for all the helpful information. This website is truly a blessing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register