HELP! Thin tissue and inside out vagina? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP!  Thin tissue and inside out vagina? HELP! Thin tissue and inside out vagina?

Unread 02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
HELP! Thin tissue and inside out vagina?

Anyone had this problem? I had LAVH on10/02/03. 6 weeks later they thought I had fistua. No fistula found but doc told me I had rectocele & cystocele. Referred to urologist who confirmed cystocele and told me I also now had stress incontinence. Uro told me I should be grateful I did not have something that could kill me and told me he has never seen any rectocele or cystocele repairs that lasted. I should get used to it. Found a new doc - a urogynecolgist. He explained I have extremely weak tissue, in part due to heredity but most likely because of long term steroid use. I take low dose prednisone for psoriatic arthritis - unable to take non-steroid anti-inflamatories after bad colitis attack. He explained my vaginal tissue is so thin that not only is the bladder & rectum pushing thru vagina but vagina has torn loose and turning inside out. Said I should have been put on estrogen before and after surgery to help build up tissue. Previous doc told me not to take hormones. I am now on oral and vaginal Premarin. Surgery will now be abdominal with mesh and permanent sutures to try to hold bladder, rectum and vagina in place but doc is concerned because tissue is so weak. Anybody have weak tissue and/or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2004, 05:32 PM

Dear LouLou,

My MIL had something similiar. She also has been on prednisone long term for RA.

Last year she had rectocele, huge cystocele, enterocele, and vaginal vault prolapse fixed (everything was falling out). It was a very successful repair and she feels so much better.

I think the key to success is finding a doctor who specializes in pelvic reconstruction - or at least does alot of them. She had been to 3 previous Gyns and they had all told her something different and each had told her if that if they operated she would be incontinent.... the doctor she ended up selecting for the surgeries is known for his high success rate and everything went well and she is not incontinent.

I hope things go well for you and you are able to have a successful surgery with no complications.

Sarah
Unread 02-25-2004, 09:35 PM

Dear Lou Lou,

My problem with rectocele and bladder were helped considerably after taking vagifem (vaginal estrogen) and then being put on estrogen replacement. For a year and a half, my gyne wouldn't let me take any hormones, then I finally went to another doctor who told me my vagina had atrophied and that estrogen would help. She was right! (So far I have been able to avoid the rectocele corrective surgery that they were certain I needed.)

I hope things work out for you!

Lucille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2004, 09:58 PM

Thanks Lucille and Sarah for your help. I think I do have a good urogynecologist now. He is at a large teaching hospital here in St. Louis and I feel pretty good about him. He specializes in pelvic reconstruction surgery. I`m really glad to know that someone else out there has been on steroids and still had successfull surgery. And Lucille, you are lucky to have been able to avoid the corrective surgery. Before my doc does surgery he is going to do a lot of tests because he said before he opens me he wants to know everything possible. I'm so glad I found this web site. I dread surgery but want to have it done if it will make me better. I guess the key is finding the right doctor. THanks again.
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:36 PM

LouLou,
I had been on HRT for a couple of years and went off. I had a tearing sensation when having sex and went back on the HRT. I also spotted a bit after sex. I am a firm believer that HRT does help with the thinning. Hope things start to feel better soon for you.
Unread 02-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Thin Tissue too

Last June I had a hysterectomy, cystocele, rectocele and entrocele repair. It was done by a uro-gynocologist. Unfortunately, last Nov. I had a tearing sensation when I sat in bed quickly and now have another rectocele. My horomone levels are good, and I still have my ovaries, so I am not on any hormones at this time. I am currently waiting for another rectocele repair but my uro-gyn is off on maternity leave. Her partner is the only other uro-gyn in my city, so I am waiting for an appointment. Don't think this new surgery will be happening anytime soon.

Levanah
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:24 PM

Chris,
Thanks for your info. There is so much info out there but I am finding that the best info is talking to people who have actually experienced the problems. I just started on the estrogen and I have my fingers crossed. Thanks again.

LouLou
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:35 PM

Dear Levanah,

I am so sorry to hear that you will have to have another rectocele repair. That is one of my biggest fears that I have major surgery for repairs and then the problems come right back again. Do you ever wonder, why me? I know several people that have had hysterectomys and never had any problems. I hope you get your surgery scheduled soon. I know that the waiting is diffcult. My kids laugh because my breakfast every morning is Metamucil crackers, lots of water and I have a snack of dried prunes during the day. But that is the only way I am able to keep from being unbelievably constipated. Good luck to you and hang in there.

Lou Lou
Unread 02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
It was hard

last year to accept everything that was happening to me. Not only do I have thin tissue, but I also have nerve damage. I underwent many tests and they could not find the cause of the nerve damage (before surgery). At first I was really upset, then looked at least they ruled out all the nasty causes of nerve damage (MS & tumors). But there is not much you can do to change what your genetic makeup is. Then there is a point, where you look beyond the "why me" and be thankful for all the positive things in your life, like relationships, careers and the everyday sunshine.

Actually waiting for the second surgery is not the same rollercoaster ride as the first. I am a single parent of two teenagers, so that brings lots of challenges for the recovery period. I handled it once, I can do it again. But, I do try to do everything that I can to prevent more damage. So like you, I eat fiber, fiber and more fibre (taking a fibre suppliment, as I started to gag on Metamucil. (constipation can be very painful) Practice my kegals and no heavy lifting.

Good luck on your surgery and recovery. Take care of yourself.

Levanah
Unread 02-28-2004, 07:13 PM

Dear Levanah,

You are absolutely right. We have to concentrate on the good things in life. I guess surgery is just one of the many bumps in the road. Thank goodness that they found no nasty medical cause of the nerve damage. I am lucky in that I have a very supportive husband. My girls are 14 and 22. The oldest helps me out a lot because she is finishing up her last year of college and living at home this year to save some money. Good luck to you also and maybe someday we will both look back and laugh about all we go through.

LouLou

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register