frustrated and worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

frustrated and worried frustrated and worried

Unread 02-25-2004, 10:21 PM
frustrated and worried

I had my hysterectomy just over 6 months ago. I also had 6 rounds of chemo. (Taxol and Carboplatin). I cryed almost everyday. My blood counts went very low and I had to have a transfusion. I lost all hair from my body. The good news is that after the chemo and a CT scan my Dr. says I'm in complete remission, only problem is it's been 5 wks. since my last chemo and there isn't any sign of any hair returning, which of course has me crying again. I really some advice on when it will start to return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 01:03 AM
frustrated and worried

Hi zinzer and welcome to Hystersisters! I'm glad you found us. I've moved your post over here to our Cancer Concerns forum because some of the ladies over here are more likely to have an answer to your question about how long it takes the hair to start growing back. I think it depends a lot on what type of chemo you did and the dosages, and I don't have any personal experience with it myself but have watched several friends go through it... for them it was a matter of months before it got started, and by a year post chemo they had quite a healthy head of hair.

Hopefully some of the women here who've gone through chemo and come out the other side will be by to share their experiences.

Congratulations on being in complete remission, that is fantastic news! Now I hope the new hair is not far behind.

s,
-Linda
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:53 AM
frustrated and worried

s zinzer

Congrats on completing chemo and finding that remission.
I had the exact same meds and number of treatments as you.
For the first three weeks after completion you can expect no hair growth. That was the usual time between treatments for me.
So for the first three weeks our bodies are just waiting to see if another treatment is coming.
So you are at the brink of hair regrowth right now.
My eyebrows and lashes were the first to return. Head hair takes a bit longer.
I finished chemo in mid October 2001. By the end of January I had a very short crew cut. So we are talking three and one half months for approximately one half inch of hair.
It certainly takes its time. So relax and be patient.
Best wishes to you.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 03:05 PM
frustrated and worried

Hi
Karenann is right. I finished my chemo last Jan and had a very short haircut by May. Eye lashes and brows come in faster. Your hair will soon start to come in. Mine was a couple shades darker and curly. The curls are gone but it is still darker than I ever had.
Best Wishes.
Ruth S
Unread 02-28-2004, 09:56 AM
frustrated and worried

Hi zinzer,

YOUR HAIR WILL GROW BACK!!

I too had the 6 treatments of taxol and carboplatin. Now lets see..... I had my last treatment in September 2002 and by February 2003 I had a full head of hair and was able to go work without my wig. That was a full year ago and I have had many haircuts since then and have dyed it a few times.

My hair used to be thick, straight, and dirty blonde color which I used to hightlight.

It grew back in thick, curly, and very very dark brown. I was also very lucky. NO GRAY at all.

I have not finally regained my regular color and most of the curls have been cut away.

It was fun however, trying new hair styles at different lengths.

And yes, the eyebrows and eyelashes grow back almost immediately.

You have to remember, after only 5 weeks since your last treatment, your body does not know that there is no more chemo coming yet.

Rosalie
Unread 02-28-2004, 08:19 PM
frustrated and worried

Thanks Hyster sisters for your encouraging replies concerning my hair return. Nothing has happened yet, but I'm at least not quite so scared. If anyone else has anymore info on this subject please let me know.

zinzer
Unread 02-28-2004, 08:51 PM
frustrated and worried

zinzer, I'm at the other end of the problem right now. Waiting for mine to start falling out!!

I'm so silly. the day of chemo I found myself pulling on my hair to see if it was still attached!lolol

I bet within a very short time you will begin to see fuzz, then hair, and you'll be happy dancin' around the room

nancy j

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register