CIS diagnosed in Dec, hyst in March | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CIS diagnosed in Dec, hyst in March CIS diagnosed in Dec, hyst in March

Unread 02-26-2004, 12:42 AM
CIS diagnosed in Dec, hyst in March

Dr. said that after having a LEEP done my cervix needed to heal, before doing a hyst. 1st question "why does it need to heal if you are going to take it out?"
2nd question "was it safe to wait 3-4 months before having it removed?"
I hope the wait hasn't cause it to turn to cancer. But, I guess I will find out in 7 more days.
Any one have some answers, thoughts, suggestions, etc.
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 06:18 AM

CIS is generally a very slow-growing condition. I'm sure if your doc felt any urgency about your particular case, you would already be post-op. I know that my doc said I had "four months to decide--but no more than 6 months." I was glad for the time, because it gave me the space I needed to accept the diagnosis and the inevitability of my surgery. Maybe this 4 month time frame is sort of a standard?

Anyway, good luck next week.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:15 PM

I was told the same thing about the two week wait for my cervix to heal also from my GYN. HOWEVER, when I saw my ONC/GYN, she recommended Hyster, and the only one she had available for MONTHS was the NEXT DAY! I asked her if it was safe because I had just had the cone done, and she said that was "old school". She had no problem doing mine after a week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 09:34 AM

The reason they wait is because statistics show that there are fewer post-op complications if the cervix is allowed to heal first. So, most docs wait 6 weeks after a cone biopsy. A LEEP is a little different because the tissues are cauterized during the procedure which makes for faster healing, but most docs will still wait at least 2 weeks. I believe the most common post-op complication was excessive bleeding when the hysterectomy was done very early after a previous procedure.
Unread 02-27-2004, 05:32 PM

I had a different kind of cancer, endometrial cancer. But because it was a rare type that looks a bit like cervical cancer, my onc decided I needed a LEEP before surgery. He did it 3 days before surgery to be sure it wasn't cervical cancer because the surgery would have been different -- radical vs. total.

Not sure that the wait is because of the biopsy or other reasons.

Linda
Unread 02-28-2004, 05:46 PM

So far I seem to be the only one here (that I've read about, anyway) that's gone through chemo/radiation first, and then TAH. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer the week before Christmas, and started immediately on chemo/radiation. My TAH is scheduled for the first week of April. The doctors were all thrilled at how well I did with chemo/radiation (how well I did and how much the tumor shrank), and everyone assures me that it's okay to wait till April, that my body needs time to heal after radiation. And I've asked MANY times, "Are you sure it's okay to wait that long??" So I just have to trust they know what they're doing!
Unread 02-29-2004, 12:49 AM

Although I have not really paid close attention to this, depending on the stage of your cancer treatment is done. Many times they leave the uterus for Radiation so that they can have better placement of the isotopes.

In discussions with my doc, if you are in a hospital that can do an immediate path, if your cone comes back with unclear margins they will go back and do the hyst (if so deemed) within two days. Otherwise they want you to completely heal before going back in. Most path reports are not done within the hospital, but is sent out and that means a week or more.

With a diagnosis of pathology consistent with CIS or stage zero cancer, most will want to do the hyst sooner rather than later if that is the option the patient wants. For young patients that may still want to try to get pregnant, docs may try other options, but that will also mean quarterly paps and other forms of biopsies. This is only acceptable since it is such a slow growing cancer. Unfortunately, there is very little difference between stage zero and stage one when it goes that one cell deeper into the next layer and becomes invasive.

Hope I have been a little helpful. Still have post-op brain fog so I tend to ramble and use poor grammer/spelling!
Unread 02-29-2004, 07:38 AM

In response to JulesB's post--one of the older sisters in my community had uterine cancer that was about to break through the uterine wall, and her gyn/surgeon first had her go through a round of radiation treatments. He thought that was safer given the tumor's position. Only then did he do the surgery. That was years ago and she's fine, with no recurrence.

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-01-2004, 12:28 AM

Jules,
You are right, you are the first person I have heard of who had a TAH after radiation and chemo. I just sent you a private message about this before I saw your post here. As far as I know, that is not the standard treatment for cervical cancer 1B2. Did your doctors plan this treatment from the beginning or was it because your tumor did not completely go away with chemo/radiation? Women with cervical cancer have surgery first, then radiation and chemo if needed, if the tumor is under 4cm. In the case of our diagnosis, the tumor is too big for surgery, so they 'kill it, rather than cut it'. Radiation and chemo are as effective as a TAH so there shouldn't be a need for the surgery.

I was lucky in that my tumor responded really well and shrank by 60% after the first 10 radiations and 2 chemos. When I went into the hospital for the internal there was no evidence of the tumor, even with the magnifying thingie. I wasn't told this until AFTER the hospital stay! But the rad/onc said they did the internal as 'insurance' to make sure they could get every last cell.

I asked my gyn/onc about surgery after treatment and he said it wasn't necessary if there is no evidence of the disease. Also, he said it is a tricky surgery because of all the scar tissue from radiation, and they do everything they can to avoid the risk associated with surgery after radiation.

If I were you, I'd ask the gyn/onc how many surgeries he has done like this, following radiation. It is not common, and does have a fairly high degree of risk, according to my doctors, and what I have read here and at another similiar forum. If there is no evidence of disease, why do you need to have this tricky surgery?

I assume that you are seeing an experienced gyn/onc for treatment. If he/she is willing to do surgery after radiation, I am sure he has a very good reason.

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 03-01-2004, 06:23 AM

Sundance uses the phrase "radical vs. total" in her post. What's the difference? I've seen both terms used on this site and just thought this was two different terms for the same thing.
Bettye

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register