Gallbladder Disease and Allergies | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gallbladder Disease and Allergies Gallbladder Disease and Allergies

Unread 02-26-2004, 09:41 AM
Gallbladder Disease and Allergies

Hi Ladies,

I have not been on this site in a while and am close to getting my answers as I am having an endoscopy on 03-24-04 to find out what is wrong with me. I still say I have a gallbladder problem; however, every test comes back negative: blood, ultrasound.
Finally after 15 months post op I am going to the right doctors who will finally help me.

At any rate I saw the gastro doctor last week and told him my symptoms: pain upper right quadrant, pale stools (looks just like a dog Milk Bone), nausea and increased in allergies, and on and on. Doctor said I had tenderness on 11 &12 ribs and it was clear that my bilary ducts were blocked simply due to the pale stools. Doctor said I could have adhesions, because of the endo, but hey I have said that all along or just inflammation that could be treated with meds or a cortisone shot.

I still think I have gallbladder problems but I am still not sure. My question is to those of you who have had your gallbladders out and have allergies like me; "Did your allergies get worse when you had gallbladder problems"? "If so did they get better after it was out"? I have surfed the Internet a million times and saw something in regards to gallbladder with allergies but can't remember how I got there.

As always, thank you for your input and support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 07:10 PM

Hi ((((Carrie)))) I'm so sorry that you've been having so many problems

I do not have gall bladder issues, but I do have allergies. One of the things I've found out about my allergies is that stress tends to exeracerbate them. Having health problems, such as the ones you've been having, can cause a lot of stress and could adversely affect your immune system, hence resulting in increased allergic reactions.

Sending lots of s your way. I do that the endscopy with shed some on the situation. Please keep us posted.
Unread 02-26-2004, 08:43 PM

Thanks Dany for your input. I think I have been stressed, due to health problems, all my life that I had not given this problem a thought.

I will try to relax. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2004, 05:39 AM

Dear Monti,

I had my gall bladder removed about 7 years ago and had intense right scapular pain as my primary symptom. In my case, the symptoms came on suddenly, without any warning and I had a trip to the emergency room. I do not recall any change in my allergies that I associated with the gall bladder problem or the gall bladder surgery. ( some people would have food intolerance as a symptom of gall bladder distress....so perhaps what you read was related to food intolerance ( various fats) and cholecystitis? )

I have noticed that I've had unexplained hives and itchey skin which feels like allergies and it seemed (for me) to correlate more to hormonal changes and falling estradiol. What good detective work you are doing and I wish you good things as you gather up more info. If you require surgery, most people heal very quickly with the laporsocopic approach.

Hope you feel better soon,
Tedi
Unread 02-27-2004, 06:06 AM
I too believe i'm having Gallbladder troubles

Hi Monti,
I too do not post much, but stumbled on this at the right time! I too believe i'm having gallbladder troubles, I have had pain in my upper middl/right abdomin and nausea/vomiting, lack of appietiate, fatigue you name it! At first he thought it was my pancrease well turned out not to be, then i was hospitalized last month for a bowel blockage I was on IV fluids only felt ok for about 2 weeks out of the hospital.....now mind you in the hospital thay ran x-rays ultrasounds and a ctscan said my gallbladder was fine butt....found a tumor on my liver about 3cm....then i get out of the hospital and had to go for yet another test for the liver tumor call....tagged RBC Scan well they thought it was a hemangioma well the test was inconclusive and is not a hegangioma so to this day we have no clue what it is, they can not tell me if it is cancer or not so they are sceduling an MRI.....which leads back to the gall bladder because after the MRI my doctor wants to check how my gallbladder and liver are functioning with a test called a Hida scan with cck.
Your liver, gallbladder and pancrease are all in the same area and an ultrasound and blood work do not pick up a lot of things that have to do with the gallbladder! the hida scan will show if those organs are functioning properly! If not it can make you very sick! They reason i know is because a friend of mine whom was once an OR nurse is in the hospital right now due to gallbladder complications she has been there for 3 weeks! Now she also told me that i guess the hida scan works on % rates if your gallbladder is only functioning at a 35% that is not good her's was 38% but she was extremely ill with her symtoms and when they got in there her surgeon said her gall bladder was a mess!
Also another friend of mine had hers taken out and ultrasounds showed nothing until the hida scan!!!
So you might want to ask your doctor for a hida scan with cck!
I hope this helps!
Hugs and kisses Colette
Unread 02-27-2004, 11:32 AM

Colette,

Thank you for the information. I have heard of the HIDA Scan from a friend of mine and she suggested that test as well. I guess now that I am with the right doctors, effective Jan 01, 2004, I now have to start all over and the endoscopy is first.

Basically, when I wrote this I was really wondering if gallbladder complications could make you ill all the way around. I feel like crap and it seems to be getting worse. I see an allergist and get allergy shots once a month, that is how bad I have allergies, and have done so since 1997. In December my allergist looked at me and said I was getting worse and gave me Singulair and told me that I had to do Nasal Irrigation (saline) twice every day. Although it has helped I am still getting worse. Mind you my other doctor put me on Prevaid at the same time due to heartburn every day/every meal which has helped too. The funny thing is, the Internet gives basic infor as where Hystersisters gives real life info.

Should you or anyone else experience these same or more experiences I would like to hear them. I know my appointment is in 25 days, but 25 days sure seems like a life time at this point.

Thank you again for the info it was very helpful and I am not so worried.

As for you, I would say the gallbladder too. Let me know how your test goes as I would be interested to hear the percentage.

Take care.
Unread 02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey Monti

I see you suffer from Adhesions too...What i'm finding out is that adhesions compermise the immune system....so it is possible that adhesions have something to do with the immune system.
Yes i think gallbladder problems can make you ill,( I'm not a doctor) but....I have been having on going problems and they have done everything except the hida scan after my MRI he is going to do the hida scan i've been asking for months!!!
I've been nausated my stomach hurts so bad at times, right now i'm on phenagran and vicodan for the nausea and pain!!!
I think because i had major surgery for the 6th time in sept. my doctor does not want me to have another, but i can not stand the nausea and i will keep ya posted!!!
Love Colette
Unread 02-28-2004, 02:57 AM

Colette,

Yes I had adhesions so bad that 3 years before my surgery I gained 20lbs for no apparent reason and to my surprise right after my surgery I lost 15 pounds in 4 days. Wow! I say that everyone wants to lose weight but not like that. I even told the gastro doctor this the other day and sure enough he asked me what seemed like 100 questions in regards to my hysterectomy and took a full page of notes. To this day, the pain I had with endo/aden does not compare to the pain I had before my hysterectomy. Why? I was taking, prescribed by my OBGYN, about 5 birth control pills a day and about 7 to 10 800mg of Motrin before my surgery which did absolutely nothing. I was taking, prescribed by my primary doctor, Darvoset and was suppose to take Vicodin but the Darvoset did nothing and I refuse to take Vicodin and go to work etc. I just knew upping my meds was not a good thing especially driving, working, and going to school. OBGYN said the Motrin would work better; I said hysterectomy. Of course I was right and I feel 100 times better. You would think I would have gotten an ulcer from meds, gastro doctor thought that at first, but since my stool looks like a dog "Milk Bone" that ruled that out. Even the Morphine after surgery did not work because I had taken so much Motrin previously. Oh, did I tell you that I have lost another 5lbs since the 15lbs. I guess there is some truth to the saying "Beauty is a *****" right.

Now, although I am in pain I feel like I have this constant cold, like I did before I started taking my allergy shots, and know it is because of this. Someone told me on Hystersisters that when OBGYNs do a hysterectomy, they do not look above the navel as that is not their field as now comes the vital organs. Well I say thanks a lot, from all of us, because there was a time when a hysterectomy was done the gallbladder and appendix went too. Now we get to suffer as those lovely body parts have a price. I use to be in the medical field a long time ago and was told that regular doctor visits the doctor gets nothing as for surgeries the doctor gets a lot more money. So if that is true then people like us will have surgeries forever.

I have learned a lot from this experience though, the hard way, figured out that I am a pretty good invesitagator and figured out what was wrong with me in the first place do to the Internet. Get this, the gastro doctor told me the other day that most of their patients pretty much know what is wrong with them when they come in his office. Weird huh? Well thus far I have been right about my allergies and endo etc.

Anyway, I swear I could go on and on like a counseling session but back to what you said, I have heard about allergies and adhesions and still think it is weird but I except it and believe it. I also except that I will never be 100% but feeling like I am having a heart attack and pneumonia just does not cut it for me.

I feel bad for the fact that you have had so many surgeries and have waited too for the right test to come along. I thought I was the only person that had to weight so long but I am not and for that I don't feel so alone.

Please let me know the results of you HIDA Scan. I pray for a low percentage for you so you can get that sucker out.

Try to take care and talk to you soon.
Unread 02-28-2004, 05:50 AM
hi Monti

well you have been through alot! You know now that I think about it i get where i feel as if i'm starting a cold or flu at least once a month sometimes more its weird i feel as if i'm getting something then after sleeping for a few days it passes!
Your so right it is nice to feel a lone! And thank you! I will keep you posted! I hope you start feeling better too!
Hugs and kisses
Colette
Unread 02-28-2004, 09:51 AM

Colette,

Check out this web-site:

http://www.coxnet.org/healthnews/med...moth082003.htm

I think it will answer some of your questions as to why they can't find gallstones.

As for me I think he is starting with the endoscopy because of the imflamation.

Let me know what you think.

I hope you feel better too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register