Doctor called-Bad News | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor called-Bad News Doctor called-Bad News

Unread 02-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Hi
I've put off writing this because I was in shock for a few days. Monday my gyne/onc called me at work. I knew that was a bad sign. He said they reviewed my CA 125 test and it has tripled since it was done in Oct. ( went from 5 to 19 ). He said this is "troublesome" because my levels have never been over 9 since my 1st chemo. I did have a neg CT scan and pelvic exam. But I do have some nagging abd pain.

He wants to repeat the CA125 in 2 weeks and again in 6 weeks. He will then see me to decide what to do based on the tests. He sounded serious, but then he usually does.

I am scared. I have so many thoughts running through my head. It is very frustrating to have to wait. Do we have to spend all our time waiting? But then again I tell myself that 19 is not too bad.

Oh well, I will just have to wait.... Thanks for listening.

Ruth S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ruth....perhaps it will be negated by a better reading in 2 weeks. I know it is torture to wait on this; I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 02-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Ruth,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please try and focus on your negative CT Scan and pelvic exam. That is good news, you know.

And 19, while it is up a bit, is still a real good number.

big to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Ruth, doesnt it drive you crazy how long it takes for the tests to come back? I had to go through abnormal pap results for 4 yrs and it was agonizing, it seems like every thought went through my head, although I did not have cancer I had a precancerous condition, I was mentally wiped out since it would seem to get better then it would come back, I finally found a good Dr. who didnt mess around like the others, I will keep you in my prayers, I hope that you will keep us informed of your condition.
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
(((Ruth)))

Concentrate on that good CT scan and pelvic exam. This jump could be a fluke and in two weeks it will have dropped. By six weeks it may be just fine. I know it's very worrysome and disappointing. That the CT was clear is good. We'll all be waiting with you and hoping for good results next time. Ellen
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Ruth,
I know how worried you are, but please concentrate on the good CT scan and pelvic. From what I have read on this board those numbers can jump around a lot in some people, and abdominal discomfort is very common, for many reasons that are n't serious. you are in my prayers
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Ruth,

I'll be thinking about you and praying for you- not just that the results of the new test are ok, but that the waiting time will be peaceful for you. Yes, it's easier said than done, but I do wish that for you!

This thing is so hard to hear about, and no doubt even harder to be experiencing! But thank heaven we ARE here for you, as you no doubt have been here for others.

Keep smiling---doctors and treatments are only the instruments, God has the master plan!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

((Ruth))

I know it is scary and the doc is of course rightly focused on the "doubling", but 19 is still low. Remember there are lots of factors that can make that number jump around. Mine jumped way up once when it was taken after a bout of the stomach flu - was up to 30 and settled down again after a couple weeks.

I hope this is just a fluke - keep us posted

Dorrie
Unread 02-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Hi Ruth,,,

Do you remember, over the summer, when I was walking in your shoes???

My ca125 went from 12 to 34. I went into a total state of panic because my oncologist had told me, at the beginning, if the number ever doubles we need to do some checking.

Well as you can see mine almost tripled!! We tested again in a week and the number went down to like 24 and then the following week to 22. Waited for my next checkup in three months and the number was 8!!! My goodness,,,, next checkup, 3 months later the number is 20.

My gyno/oncologist told me that this number can fluctuate for any number of reasons within the normal limits. I do believe that when he tells me that my exam is totally normal, I believe him over the number.

I know exactly what you are going through and am sure that all will be fine.

Rosalie
Unread 02-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Doctor called-Bad News

Huge s Ruth

I know you are very frightened right now. My prayers are with you.
But try and keep in mind, that more important than any single number is the trend those numbers take. One number by itself does not necessarily indicate a recurrence. And certainly Rosalie has proved that one jump can mean absolutely nothing.
Hopefully this will be the case for you as well!!!
Hang in there my ovca buddie!

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register