First chemo completed - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First chemo completed First chemo completed

Unread 02-29-2004, 08:16 AM
First chemo completed

Good for you, Nancy! Sounds like you're through the worst. I hope you find that this round was the worst one, too. I did much better on my subsequent rounds. You should find you're feeling much better everyday now.

I also somtimes have pain in my jaw or teeth. I think it's just the same "bone pain" that can pop up anywhere. Goes away after Day 5. I would get the more serious constipation around Day 5-7, so I definately concur with the recommendation to keep up with the Senacot. I know you had the opposite problems after radiation, but I'd encourage you to start with the Senacot earlier, too.

I get a headache around Day 3 and think it's the Zofran, too. I have found that I don't feel nauseous at all until Day 3 and have given some thought to not taking it until Day 2, but I'm just a bit afraid that MAYBE the reason I don't get nauseous earlier is BECAUSE I'm taking the Zofran.

It's great to hear someone else's experiences with this process. Keep us posted. And enjoy the heck out of your 2 weeks "off"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2004, 09:18 AM
First chemo completed

Hi, Nancy. So glad to hear you're doing well with the chemo. I experienced a lot of what you have and particularly identified with the jaw pain. I recall that my jaw pain came sooner in the process than day 4. I had the bone pain, too, and found that Motrin helped a lot (more than other pain medications).

Good luck on the rest of your treatments. As Limbo here has already suggested, enjoy the heck out of the two weeks off!

Best,
Unread 02-29-2004, 07:31 PM
Day 5

Oh ladies, I did not start the Senekot near early enough. That is my major problem on this day 5.
If relief is not obtained by morning, I am calling the nurse to see what to try next.

Energy still low, but improving. Appetite down, but I believe it's because of this other problem.

Anyone reading this getting ready to begin chemo, plan ahead for constipation. You will save yourself alot of misery.

nancy j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Constipation

Nancy,
It's the Zofran that causes the awful constipation. Having never been constipated before, I was shocked at just how painful it can be. Since i had radiation at the same time as chemo, the constipation was only a problem for the first couple of weeks of chemo. But I sympathize, it was awful!

Hugs,
Janie
Unread 03-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Day 19

I'm going to "bump up" this thread to let you all know that each day got progressively better

The constipation was solved with four doses of Senekot. I will begin taking it the day after chemo for sure this time!! And I won't be afraid of eating alot of spinach and corn. that does it for me every time.

And here it is almost time for Chemo #2. Can you believe it? Tuesday for bloodwork, chemo all day Wednesday, then Neulasta shot Thursday and back home again.

I've been able to go right on with my eBay business and painting my pots. (which is a whole lot better than throwing up in pots!!)

Bless you all for being here for me. I'm still fighting and trying to keep a good attitude toward it all. My chemo nurses should be surprised to see my new "hairdo".....you know, the thin bald hairdo??

Nancy J.
Unread 03-14-2004, 11:01 PM
First chemo completed

Nancy, I am gald that your first chemo is behind you and that you are doing well. The first one is often the worst because you don't know what to expect. I hope this next one is hard on the cancer cells, but easy on you.
Unread 03-15-2004, 12:28 AM
First chemo completed

Hi, Nancy!

Just a reminder: B vitamins help prevent or eliminate neuropathy (numbness in the fingers and toes). I took a cheap B Complex 100 vitamin from Trader Joe's every day, and my neuropathy went away completely. My medical oncologist and doctors said it was perfectly fine to take B vitamins during chemo.

Hang in there! s!
Unread 03-15-2004, 10:31 AM
First chemo completed

Just to add to Siren Song's info re: Vitamin B helping to deal with neuropathy - I started daily, at a friend's suggestion, to take a Vitamin B complex with Folic Acid (FDC or Sundown) PLUS I would also take a spoonful of Kretschmer Wheat Germ with FOLATE, and my numbness in my thighs finally started to go away. A good site re: Folate "folate and folic acid are forms of a water soluble B vitamin" is www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/supplements/folate It includes some info on some connexion between low levels of folate and some types of cancer - like colon. I think on this site it mentioned that folic acid was synthetic, but folate wasn't?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register